The Anabaptist perception towards printed ballcaps and shirts?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Printed ballcaps and shirts: Should there be a standard?

I don't think it really matters.
21%
We should exercise some discretion.
74%
Only if it advertises an employer.
No votes
Nope. Not at all.
5%

Total votes: 19

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

The Anabaptist perception towards printed ballcaps and shirts?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm talking about hats and shirts that advertise something beyond your employer or organization you are affiliated with. For example, I have ballcaps from vendors I got radio gear from, our daughter's school, outdoorsy type stuff, railroads, etc. I also have polo shirts and T-shirts from a company that sells ambulances, a few firearm related vendors and so on.

So, should there be a line somewhere? I've heard this subject preached on over the years and would like to hear what others on MN would have to say. Is there a difference between something that was given to us? Or something we went out of our way to buy? What if supports local business (feedmill, hardware store, fire dept.)? Sports teams?

Vote and discuss. I look forward to comments on this subject.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards printed ballcaps and shirts?

Post by Neto »

I don't wear either caps or t-shirts, so I'm not one to ask, really. But the only insignia I would consider wearing, other than a Christian message, would be that of the make of car which I have as a collector vehicle, and that would be probably sewn onto a denim jacket.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Hubby wears caps that he might have gotten free from a business. But no sports insignias. Most of his t-shirts have nothing on them, except for when he gets free T-shirts from the famous local hardware store...Paul B.

https://paulbhardware.com/
0 x
steve-in-kville

Grace wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:15 am Hubby wears caps that he might have gotten free from a business. But no sports insignias. Most of his t-shirts have nothing on them, except for when he gets free T-shirts from the famous local hardware store...Paul B.

https://paulbhardware.com/
I haven't been in that place in years! I heard its way different now. Dad would have hats and calendars from them going back to the 70's.
0 x

Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I do not wear t-shirts. I will not wear an ad for some company unless they pay me my billboard fee. I will not advertise for free!! All my caps have no logo, but are plain.

I believe in capitalism and choose not to advertise for free. You want me to wear your logo? Pay me. No pay, no wear. I did wear a Beck Construction cap for a while. I good friend of mine who also did work for me and I wore his cap to advertise for him, because he would feed me from time to time. I felt it was a fair deal.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Our local MB church does not have specific dress rules. Young men, even in the worship band, wear ball caps and shirts with whatever on them. I believe if there was something that was totally inappropriate to a member and they took their concern to the board of elders, they would make a judgment considering the role that person served in the church and have a rep from the board speak privately to that person requesting they not wear that article in church. The board may not agree with the one expressing their concern on what is appropriate and a rep from the board would privately explain the decision of the board.

Outside of the church building, what a Christian choses to wear, I believe, is a matter between them and the Holy Spirit's guidance. That doesn't mean the Holy Spirit may not use another Christian in this guidance.

Personally, wearing business logos, like golf caps, I select more on how they match the rest of my clothes by their colour.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

What is the biblical argument on this topic. Can you articulate it?

I would point out that this is a particularly American affection. You rarely see Europeans wearing t-shirts or hats with words or slogans on them. The surest way to spot an American tourist in Europe is by their printed t-shirts and ball caps.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
steve-in-kville

Ken wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:23 pm What is the biblical argument on this topic. Can you articulate it?
Are you asking me specifically, or anyone in general?
0 x

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:28 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:23 pm What is the biblical argument on this topic. Can you articulate it?
Are you asking me specifically, or anyone in general?
Anyone in general. I understand some conservative groups have specific dress codes like the Amish. But do any groups without such prescribed dress codes allow a boy to wear say a blue t-shirt without any writing but would object to a blue t-shirt with writing on it? Or a plain baseball cap but not one with a logo on it?

I have never actually heard of any religious objections to printed shirts or hats and didn't know that was even a thing. My earliest memories of my conservative Menno grandfather are him sitting on a tractor or farm truck wearing a John Deere hat which he probably got for free.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I don't see them as deeply moral questions. That said, I avoid ballcaps, pretty much all the time...re solidarity with men being uncovered all the time like CA women are expected to be covered all the time. I also pretty much avoid printed t shirts (not quite entirely - if it sports something I feel is worthwhile) because I don't care for them. I do like T shirts, I see them as the clothing of "everyman" but I prefer the plain black or white one or other solid color ones.
0 x