The Anabaptist perception towards printed ballcaps and shirts?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Printed ballcaps and shirts: Should there be a standard?

I don't think it really matters.
21%
We should exercise some discretion.
74%
Only if it advertises an employer.
No votes
Nope. Not at all.
5%

Total votes: 19

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards printed ballcaps and shirts?

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:15 am Our local MB church does not have specific dress rules. Young men, even in the worship band, wear ball caps and shirts with whatever on them. I believe if there was something that was totally inappropriate to a member and they took their concern to the board of elders, they would make a judgment considering the role that person served in the church and have a rep from the board speak privately to that person requesting they not wear that article in church. The board may not agree with the one expressing their concern on what is appropriate and a rep from the board would privately explain the decision of the board.

Outside of the church building, what a Christian choses to wear, I believe, is a matter between them and the Holy Spirit's guidance. That doesn't mean the Holy Spirit may not use another Christian in this guidance.

Personally, wearing business logos, like golf caps, I select more on how they match the rest of my clothes by their colour.
Wearing ball caps whilst leading worship is a direct disobedience to scripture.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:31 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:15 am Our local MB church does not have specific dress rules. Young men, even in the worship band, wear ball caps and shirts with whatever on them. I believe if there was something that was totally inappropriate to a member and they took their concern to the board of elders, they would make a judgment considering the role that person served in the church and have a rep from the board speak privately to that person requesting they not wear that article in church. The board may not agree with the one expressing their concern on what is appropriate and a rep from the board would privately explain the decision of the board.

Outside of the church building, what a Christian choses to wear, I believe, is a matter between them and the Holy Spirit's guidance. That doesn't mean the Holy Spirit may not use another Christian in this guidance.

Personally, wearing business logos, like golf caps, I select more on how they match the rest of my clothes by their colour.
Wearing ball caps whilst leading worship is a direct disobedience to scripture.
I have wondered what Paul did when he went to the Jewish synagogue for a period of time to attempt to convert the Jews. He said He became like a Jew. This seems to indicate Paul wore a hat/head covering as was the Jewish custom.

If you are referring to 1 Cor 11:4 as the text to include ball caps, then perhaps 1 Timothy 2:8 should also be taken literally, which I believe is more specific, in what men should do. (my favorite text to offset certain literal interpretations :lol: )
I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
Here is a link specifically addressing the ball cap issue -
https://www.evidenceunseen.com/bible-di ... e-praying/

Myself, I lean towards a view that if the culture we live in still shows respect by a man removing his hat, then that would be a better witness if we did remove our hats when praying. Removing one's hat as a sign of respect seems to be fading in our culture here but I have played with golfers that the custom was still followed at the end of a game to remove your golf hat and shake the other player's hand. When the national anthem is played before a sports event our culture expects men to remove their hats as respect for the flag.

Myself, I think both 'dressing up' and 'dressing down' are ways that attract attention to ourselves that can take the attention off of God in church. Some say to just close your eyes and plug your ears to these distractions but I don't experience that this always works for me.

Actually for the past 2 years being at home and my church experience is using Youtube, I can fast forward and get to the praying and preaching portions. This I like. And, I agree with many, that face to face fellowship is still the ideal. Perhaps someday yet I might find such a church home.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

Wearing ball caps whilst leading worship is still direct disobedience to scripture, despite whatever justifications you can come up with.

If God wanted this to be a flexible area of culture, it wouldn't be spelled out in the Bible. Paul himself wrote that no man who wishes to honour God should cover his head whilst praying. I have a hard time understanding how someone can honestly think Paul would do the exact opposite of what he wrote down in inspired scripture.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:53 pm Wearing ball caps whilst leading worship is still direct disobedience to scripture, despite whatever justifications you can come up with.

If God wanted this to be a flexible area of culture, it wouldn't be spelled out in the Bible. Paul himself wrote that no man who wishes to honour God should cover his head whilst praying. I have a hard time understanding how someone can honestly think Paul would do the exact opposite of what he wrote down in inspired scripture.
It is interesting that this is a major point of divergence between Christianity and Judaism. I have wondered to what extent Paul's instructions were intended to distinguish Christians from Jews. Here is a typical scene of Jewish rabbis leading a Jewish prayer

On the other hand, here is Pope Francis leading a prayer.

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:53 pm Wearing ball caps whilst leading worship is still direct disobedience to scripture, despite whatever justifications you can come up with.

We are also told to pray without ceasing, so does that mean we can never wear a hat?
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Robert wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:24 pm

We are also told to pray without ceasing, so does that mean we can never wear a hat?
I think it's clear "pray without ceasing" does not mean to continuously pray 24/7. It means to continuously be praying, such as (for example) remembering to do it every day, and not giving up.

I agree that it makes very little sense to me why the Pope wears a religious garment on his head.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:30 pm
Robert wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:24 pm

I think it's clear "pray without ceasing" does not mean to continuously pray 24/7. It means to continuously be praying, such as (for example) remembering to do it every day, and not giving up.

I agree that it makes very little sense to me why the Pope wears a religious garment on his head.
Right. Pray without ceasing means in modern English, "Don't stop praying." It doesn't mean don't sing a gospel song of testimony because you aren't praying. Or don't talk to your neighbor.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

That is fine and you should live by your conviction as unto the Lord. That, however, does not mean you have the correct understanding. I could take the same stand on always, everywhere raising our hands when we pray is also what Paul meant when he said to do that, however, my understanding is that he was not talking about our posture but rather what he said following this.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Paul doing the exact opposite of what he may have been referring to by the headcovering when men pray. I view the condition of one's heart when we pray to be more important in honoring God than what I stick on my head. Man looks on the outward but God looks on the heart. I can be dishonoring God by my attitude toward him even when I pray without a hat.

I believe God wants us to honor Him in our hearts first and foremost and just like the praying with our hands lifted, it is the condition of our heart that is of most importance. If removing a hat helps one to honor God, then that would be best to do.

I don't know if this is the reasoning behind our local MB church allowing ball caps during worship, but my guess is that it is.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

I don't like wearing advertising for free. Occasionally I wear a hat with a logo on it advertising for a client of mine. Also, occasionally I wear a Puma T-shirt. Most of the advertising I wear is for the company for which I work.

I never understood Paul to mean men may not wear a ball cap or a cowboy hat for that matter during a prayer time. But I sure could be wrong. I always figured he meant men should not wear a religiously significant symbol on their heads while women ought to.
0 x