Bruderhof

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Bruderhof

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:
Josh wrote: Bruderhof do a great job of putting in a good fade and fooling progressive Mennonites.
I think it's more than that. I believe most common members are sincere in trying to follow Jesus and are not trying to fool people. But it is quite possible that most believe that mentioning any criticism of the brotherhood would be unfaithful and may be fearful of consequences if they said anything negative. I do not have the same opinion about the leadership.
The strict dress code and disapproval of birth control put off more progressive Mennonites, I'd think.
When was your last contact with them, Josh? It was over 20 years ago for me, except for a couple making a brief visit to our church.
My last contact was in Australia about a year and a half ago.
We know some of the folks in Danthonia too. We're you visiting Australia at the time?
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

They make cool looking signs!
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Signtist wrote:They make cool looking signs!
Well, that's certainly commendable!
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I have become friends with a couple that grew up in, and are still part of the Bruderhof. As far as I know, they are quite sincere. Yet I concur with much of what has been said. I expect many of the rank and file to be sincere, while like many groups there may be some hypocrites.

I also have serious reservations about the leadership and the leadership structure, and the suing mentality, and the wealth, and the autonomy they seem to have. It seems easy to say that is in the past. And yet if the leadership is the same (I don't know if it is or not).....
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

I'll have more to say when I have time at home.

I don't think Josh is going overboard in his assessment. I've met some other ex-Bruderhofers recently and have found that the rot from the top has actually gotten worse and they are probably trying to create a new "redeemed" image of themselves (they've lost a lot of first generation members) while still carrying on the same old abuses and hiding the real truth about themselves from the public.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Like it or not, being part of Bruderhof means absolute allegiance to people who do stuff like this:

http://articles.courant.com/1995-11-12/ ... mennonites
The Bruderhof also owns a Gulfstream jet airplane that can carry 12 passengers and a crew of three and is leased out when it is not being used for the community's commercial or church business. Christoph Arnold's 20-year-old son, also named Christoph, is the pilot and captain of the plane, which is based at an airport at Teterboro, N.J.
Antagonism between those critics and the people in the Bruderhofs has become vehement. Last summer, former members banded together into a support group called Children of the Bruderhof and publicized a toll-free telephone number. It was flooded with 1,700 harassing calls. After an investigation traced many of the calls to pay phones in the vicinity of the various Bruderhofs, the calls tapered off.
These don't look like things that sincere Christians do, although I think these are things the leadership is instigating, not the rank and file. Regardless, anyone looking to join them needs to seriously consider what they will be joining and supporting.
Note this is a 1995 article. My question is whether the talk of them changing is correct.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JimFoxvog wrote:My family has visited several times. They seem like fine loving people with a beautiful way of life in many ways. I've heard the same sorts of problems that Josh mentioned. I've known an ex-Bruderhof man who had similar negative experiences. Some close friends had a son join the Bruderhof and for years were greatly limited in visiting and in communicating. I've heard from some they think the problems mentioned are more things of the past and that the Bruderhof has changed. I don't know about that, and would also like to hear from someone with better knowledge of the last couple of years.
This should be a dead giveaway.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:.... Some close friends had a son join the Bruderhof and for years were greatly limited in visiting and in communicating. ....
This should be a dead giveaway.
This was in the 1990's. Communication has improved greatly in recent years.
0 x
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

Thank you so much for the discussion! All I could find recently were the things they were putting out on youtube and their website.

I appreciate the vision they have, but with man's sinful nature there are many ways this can go wrong. I have found out they send the children to school away from their families. For example, if you live in a community in FL your child would go to a school in NY after they reach a certain age. Like boarding school. I do not know about my friend but for me I would be worried if things did not work out. What would become of my children?

Another thing is, if they are providing for all your needs then you lose control on what you do in a way. If they say, "Go to Australia.", I am sure they fully expect you to go as they pay for it all.

This may be a bad scenario, but what if your family member is asked to go to another community in another country and you are expelled while they are gone? Will they even know? Will you even be able to reach them and let them know what is happening?

How do you keep private contact with family? Do they provide cell phones so you can talk to them whenever? Or is it monitored?

The one ruler thing is a big concern as well. The financial aspect of having all these people working for room & board can be tempting. Who makes sure the monies are not being used to that one families' benefit, and at the expense of everyone else?

Honestly, with this set up it is hard for someone outside to truly know how it really is until they are in it. However, then it may be too late.

I know a visit is planned, and right now my friend seems cautious. They have tried different Anabaptist communities but could not sustain themselves financially. It made it hard for them to transition to a one income household as they had obligations to pay. I completely understand this as it is an obstacle for us as well.

I think they want to be a part a community where they do not have to worry about finances and can focus on serving God and community.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

Wayne in Maine wrote:I'll have more to say when I have time at home.

I don't think Josh is going overboard in his assessment. I've met some other ex-Bruderhofers recently and have found that the rot from the top has actually gotten worse and they are probably trying to create a new "redeemed" image of themselves (they've lost a lot of first generation members) while still carrying on the same old abuses and hiding the real truth about themselves from the public.
Thanks for being willing to share!
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17