Maranatha, Berea, Northeastern Mennonite Conference

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Maranatha, Berea, Northeastern Mennonite Conference

Post by Chris »

I'm very curious on several Mennonite groups, and I think some of these may be good to define on the internet for those unfamiliar with certain conference practices. Many mennos have NO IDEA how intimidating it is for outsiders to come into the churches without knowing some of the practices. People in the culture grew up "knowing", and it's a lifestyle. Without discussion on the "theology" because it's very much the same general theology I'm curious of church practice of biblical values. (If there is heretical practice, such as John Kaufman please do warn). Perhaps eventually I'll make this into a graphic or add it to a graphic.

Maranatha Conference
1. Can they use internet? Filtered?
2. Solid cape dresses, small patterns, or patterns?
3. Suspenders or not? Solid shirts or plaids allowed?
4. Any car colors forbidden?
5. Kapps or Veil?
6. Any other commentary on practice? (smart phone, business sizes, or?)
7. Local bishop or bishop over many churches?
8. Only ordained give sermons or any brother?
9. Homeschool allowed or mandated church school?
10. TV - allowed, not, or man of the house regulated?
11. Are youtube Anabaptist sermons allowed in the home?

Berea Conference
5. Kapps or Veil?
6. Any other commentary on practice? (smart phone, business sizes, or ?)

Northeastern Mennonite Conference
5. Kapps or Veil?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Maranatha, Berea, Northeastern Mennonite Conference

Post by Hats Off »

I don't know these groups so look forward to your responses.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I don't have any first hand experience.

Chris, maybe it would be useful for me to share my first hand experience I do have with a variety of groups? And then ask others here for the same?
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

Josh wrote:I don't have any first hand experience.

Chris, maybe it would be useful for me to share my first hand experience I do have with a variety of groups? And then ask others here for the same?
Yes, that! I tried to think of the best questions possible. Things outsiders would really use when considering different groups.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Chris wrote:
Josh wrote:I don't have any first hand experience.

Yes, that! I tried to think of the best questions possible. Things outsiders would really use when considering different groups.
I've got a whole pile of notes here that aren't particularly organised.

I did keep track of things by affiliation, location, description, and time frame. (Things can often change significantly just in a few years, so timeline is important.)
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yes, the notes will help. Really what I think I'd like to do is arrange information about each CONFERENCE, and generally what a visitor could expect to find in that conference. Not precise, but a "GENERAL". Like some visitors wouldn't bother with Nationwide if they banned internet, but many may if they knew XYZ Menno church allowed filtered. Some may want to just be left alone on internet. Etc.

Some women may be open to veils but not kapps. I just think it would be great to define conferences better.

I am inspired by this "map" http://plainnews.org/wp-content/uploads ... 2014.4.pdf

It states A LOT, but not A LOT at the same time. Sure going down is less "liberal", but that is very bland to the common visitor. No visitor understands what that "means". So a list that spells out the conference practices may be a very good source.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Chris wrote: It states A LOT, but not A LOT at the same time. Sure going down is less "liberal", but that is very bland to the common visitor. No visitor understands what that "means". So a list that spells out the conference practices may be a very good source.
The slopes of the lines indicate the direction the conferences are moving, and you can probably compare conferences that recently split (e.g., Eastern is more conservative than Northeastern is more conservative than Pilgrim is more conservative than Hope), but note that the chart does not attempt to order all the conferences from conservative to liberal.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

Northeastern Mennonite Conference
1. Can they use internet? Filtered? Yes, It is to be filtered, and not "in the home"
2. Solid cape dresses, small patterns, or patterns? Cape dresses, flowers, or other print to be smaller than a quarter
3. Suspenders or not? Solid shirts or plaids allowed? Suspenders are not worn, but not forbidden as far as I know. Both solids and plaids allowed for casual wear
4. Any car colors forbidden? Car colors are to be "modest", The only colors that might cause an issue would be red or maybe yellow etc.
5. Kapps or Veil? Kapps
7. Local bishop or bishop over many churches? Bishop is in charge of several churches
8. Only ordained give sermons or any brother? Only ordained give sermons, however on occasion brethern are asked to give a topic, which is not that much different perhaps.
9. Homeschool allowed or mandated church school? Homeschooling is typically not allowed, but it might be in certain circumstances
10. TV - allowed, not, or man of the house regulated? No TV
11. Are youtube Anabaptist sermons allowed in the home? No, see number 1
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

electro-wiz wrote:Northeastern Mennonite Conference
1. Can they use internet? Filtered? Yes, It is to be filtered, and not "in the home"
2. Solid cape dresses, small patterns, or patterns? Cape dresses, flowers, or other print to be smaller than a quarter
3. Suspenders or not? Solid shirts or plaids allowed? Suspenders are not worn, but not forbidden as far as I know. Both solids and plaids allowed for casual wear
4. Any car colors forbidden? Car colors are to be "modest", The only colors that might cause an issue would be red or maybe yellow etc.
5. Kapps or Veil? Kapps
7. Local bishop or bishop over many churches? Bishop is in charge of several churches
8. Only ordained give sermons or any brother? Only ordained give sermons, however on occasion brethern are asked to give a topic, which is not that much different perhaps.
9. Homeschool allowed or mandated church school? Homeschooling is typically not allowed, but it might be in certain circumstances
10. TV - allowed, not, or man of the house regulated? No TV
11. Are youtube Anabaptist sermons allowed in the home? No, see number 1
Thank you. I'm making a note of this and will publish info under the guise "best to the general knowledge but call to be sure".

Just to clarify, #1, when you say "not in the home" does it literally mean "do not have internet in your home whatsoever" or does it mean "if you bakery is attached to your home you can have it in there, or for work, but not for home casual use". (sorry just want to be very clear as that's a biggie for a lot of people.) Also what about not connected computers?
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

That is a somewhat grey area. The local ministry and technology committee is given some latitude in making determinations as to what is considered "in home". If your bakery is attached to your house but is a separate area from your living space that would probably be approved. There are also situations where people have office in their house, that have been allowed to have internet there. Home casual use, regardless of the location of the computer is not looked at favorably.
0 x