Maranatha, Berea, Northeastern Mennonite Conference

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Maranatha, Berea, Northeastern Mennonite Conference

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

cmbl wrote:
Chris wrote: It states A LOT, but not A LOT at the same time. Sure going down is less "liberal", but that is very bland to the common visitor. No visitor understands what that "means". So a list that spells out the conference practices may be a very good source.
The slopes of the lines indicate the direction the conferences are moving, and you can probably compare conferences that recently split (e.g., Eastern is more conservative than Northeastern is more conservative than Pilgrim is more conservative than Hope), but note that the chart does not attempt to order all the conferences from conservative to liberal.
True. BMA is generally regarded as more assimilated then Keystone, but it appears higher on the chart.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:True. BMA is generally regarded as more assimilated then Keystone, but it appears higher on the chart.

J.M.
Apparently, that's a change that didn't really emerge until the last 20 years ago.

Keystone is essentially just the Lancaster Conference as it existed in the 1950s/1960s without all the changes that have happened since then. Of particular note to me is that the LMC's evangelistic zeal and passion for missions, both in Pennsylvania and in countries far away, remains very strong in Keystone congregations and at the conference level as well.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Chris wrote: It states A LOT, but not A LOT at the same time. Sure going down is less "liberal", but that is very bland to the common visitor. No visitor understands what that "means". So a list that spells out the conference practices may be a very good source.
Did you look at the other links at this post?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147

This document gives an overview of what groups allow and don't allow and helps inquirers know a bit of what to expect.
http://plainnews.org/wp-content/uploads ... 16-1.1.pdf
I hope to expand this at some point and do this for all conservative Anabaptists, but since I need to put bread on my family's table, I'm waiting on a publisher or sponsor.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
quietpilgrim
Affiliation: Charity

Post by quietpilgrim »

Berea Conference
1. Can they use internet? Filtered? No internet.
2. Solid cape dresses, small patterns, or patterns? Solid.
3. Suspenders or not? Solid shirts or plaids allowed? Suspenders and solid shirts. Broadfall pants optional.
4. Any car colors forbidden? Yes, in Indiana and KY at least. Not sure about Salem, MO.
5. Kapps or Veil? Kapps that partly cover ears with strings.
6. Any other commentary on practice? (smart phone, business sizes, or ?). Berea is the most conservative constituency of the breakaway Beachy groups that use English in services. Construction and farming two most common businesses. There is some limited cooperation between Berea and Ambassadors churches, which would be slightly more progressive than Berea. Cell phones for calling only - no texting or internet allowed.
7. Local bishop or bishop over many churches? Not all congregations have local bishop.
8. Only ordained give sermons or any brother? Unsure.
9. Homeschool allowed or mandated church school? Most congrgations have a church school. Unsure if mandated.
10. TV - allowed, not, or man of the house regulated? No TV.
11. Are youtube Anabaptist sermons allowed in the home? No internet in home.
0 x
Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου, διαφορὰ δὲ πολλὴ μεταξὺ τῶν δύο ὁδῶν. (Διδαχή των Δώδεκα Αποστόλων)
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Ernie wrote:
Did you look at the other links at this post?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147

This document gives an overview of what groups allow and don't allow and helps inquirers know a bit of what to expect.
http://plainnews.org/wp-content/uploads ... 16-1.1.pdf
I hope to expand this at some point and do this for all conservative Anabaptists, but since I need to put bread on my family's table, I'm waiting on a publisher or sponsor.
Yes Ernie. It is a GREAT start.

As somebody from a non-menno background though, it is still incredibly vague. While the list is pretty detailed, we still don't know if Maranatha use the internet or not. They are fairly conservative... But we don't know. This could actually hinder somebody from even trying to go to one. If it is filtered, many Christians may be more open to it.

I'm trying to get more specific to the list basically, conference and if possible, church specific.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Chris wrote:Yes Ernie. It is a GREAT start.

As somebody from a non-menno background though, it is still incredibly vague. While the list is pretty detailed, we still don't know if Maranatha use the internet or not. They are fairly conservative... But we don't know. This could actually hinder somebody from even trying to go to one. If it is filtered, many Christians may be more open to it.

I'm trying to get more specific to the list basically, conference and if possible, church specific.
Grab your copy of the CLP church directory, look up deacons or ministers in Maranatha churches, and give them a call. Talk to them about their spiritual life, their goals, and what they would expect if you were a member there, evangelised some people, and brought them around to visit church.

As a bonus they will probably invite you to visit / stay with them.
0 x