Conservative/Liberal Graphics

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Conservative/Liberal Graphics

Post by Chris »

Before the site crash there were some excellent graphics on where conferences stood and the direction they were moving as far as conservative/liberal certain conferences are. Does anybody have a backup of these? They were just excellent references to study. It showed arrows going up and down with conference names and where they came from.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Conservative/Liberal Graphics

Post by ken_sylvania »

Is this timeline sharred by Ernie one of the graphics you were looking for?
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

ken_sylvania wrote:Is this timeline sharred by Ernie one of the graphics you were looking for?
YES! That's the one! Thank you!
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

This is of course only the Swiss Brethren side, and perhaps some early America-migration Dutch Mennonite group (? but if so, it omits any reference to numerous other Dutch Mennonite Groups).
Another observation: It has always been my understanding that there was no group called "Old Order" Amish until the New Order Amish split from the original american Amish church. Is this incorrect? (I understand if the pre-New Order split Amish is labeled as "Old Order" for clarity sake, but just wondering.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Neto wrote:This is of course only the Swiss Brethren side, and perhaps some early America-migration Dutch Mennonite group (? but if so, it omits any reference to numerous other Dutch Mennonite Groups).
Another observation: It has always been my understanding that there was no group called "Old Order" Amish until the New Order Amish split from the original american Amish church. Is this incorrect? (I understand if the pre-New Order split Amish is labeled as "Old Order" for clarity sake, but just wondering.)
It would be neat to see a revised chart also with a list of "what conservative means" and what each conference GENERALLY practices. I may pester a lot of question on there then compile a list myself. :)
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Chris wrote:
Neto wrote:This is of course only the Swiss Brethren side, and perhaps some early America-migration Dutch Mennonite group (? but if so, it omits any reference to numerous other Dutch Mennonite Groups).
It would be neat to see a revised chart also with a list of "what conservative means" and what each conference GENERALLY practices. I may pester a lot of question on there then compile a list myself. :)
Both myself and ernie have been collecting and compiling such data for a while.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Its logical that you are correct. For the Mennonites, there would have been no OO designation before the division in the Mennonite church.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Adding in the Russian/Mexican/Dutch strains would make for an almost unreadable document. My guess/understanding is that the Old Order Amish label dates back to at least the Beachy beginnings but probably back to the the years following the Amish ministers meetings initiated/supported by John Howard Yoder's great great grandfather in the 1860s.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

silentreader wrote:
Its logical that you are correct. For the Mennonites, there would have been no OO designation before the division in the Mennonite church.
http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Order_Amish
"Old Order" Amish is strictly an American term which came into usage as some Amish Mennonite congregations resisted "new" methods of church work as well as "new" forms of social organization and technology. One cannot properly speak of "Old Order" before 1850, and its usage came gradually after about 1870, or following the Amish Ministers' Conferences 1862-78
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote:
silentreader wrote:
http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Order_Amish
"Old Order" Amish is strictly an American term which came into usage as some Amish Mennonite congregations resisted "new" methods of church work as well as "new" forms of social organization and technology. One cannot properly speak of "Old Order" before 1850, and its usage came gradually after about 1870, or following the Amish Ministers' Conferences 1862-78
Interesting. I just assumed that it came about as a result of the New Order split off. But let me ask - are you saying that prior to 1850 or so the 'Amish' were called 'Amish Mennonite'?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.