Beachy Amish - What do they allow?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Beachy Amish - What do they allow?

Post by Chris »

I'm curious since the Beachy Amish are a conference if they are pretty universal on the practices. Would love more details than questions I have if you can think of more input to these. I think the Beachy Amish are more in line for people to convert, but people do not understand them thus may stay away. :)

1. If I am not mistaken, it's veils in every church rather than kapps?
2. Ineternet? Yay, nay, filtered, or just at the library?
3. Is homeschool allowed or is it mandated church school only?
4. Seg or mixed seating?
5. Open, closed, or semi-open communion (known Christian brothers from other churches/conferences allowed communion)?
6. Beards, no beards, scruff, or baby faced?
7. Suspenders or not?
8. Button up shirts or not? Also can men wear plaid or semi-colored shirts casually or must it be solids?
9. Women solids, little patters, or... ?
10. Do they evangelize to others, even to Amish?

Thanks in advance! God Bless you.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Beachy Amsih - What do they allow?

Post by Josh »

Beachy is such a broad constituency you have a few still using German and not driving cars to groups where head coverings during the week are optional.
Last edited by Josh on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The answer to every question is "yes in some congregations"

About the only universal is that you'll fit in better if you know Dutch
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Chris wrote:I'm curious since the Beachy Amish are a conference if they are pretty universal on the practices. Would love more details than questions I have if you can think of more input to these. I think the Beachy Amish are more in line for people to convert, but people do not understand them thus may stay away. :)

4. Seg or mixed seating?
5. Open, closed, or semi-open communion (known Christian brothers from other churches/conferences allowed communion)?
7. Suspenders or not?
8. Button up shirts or not? Also can men wear plaid or semi-colored shirts casually or must it be solids?

1) Ontario Beachy seem to wear caps, any mission Beachy would wear veiling.
2) Mostly filtered, I believe
3) I would expect home schooling is allowed, especially in remote areas
4) Mostly segregated
5) i would expect closed
6) scruff to beard
7) mostly not
8) I would expect whites to solid
9) solids
10 yes
I could be wrong on all of them.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

And they don't speak Dutch, but they may speak Pennsylvania German.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Hats Off wrote:
Chris wrote:I'm curious since the Beachy Amish are a conference if they are pretty universal on the practices. Would love more details than questions I have if you can think of more input to these. I think the Beachy Amish are more in line for people to convert, but people do not understand them thus may stay away. :)

4. Seg or mixed seating?
7. Suspenders or not?

1) Ontario Beachy seem to wear caps, any mission Beachy would wear veiling.
2) Mostly filtered, I believe
3) I would expect home schooling is allowed, especially in remote areas
4) Mostly segregated
5) i would expect closed
6) scruff to beard
7) mostly not
8) I would expect whites to solid
9) solids
10 yes
I could be wrong on all of them.
Your answers fit with the Beachy I have personally known from Illinois (Arthur). Also seems to fit with ones I met in Berlin OH and spent time with at a meal but honestly it's been awhile- can't remember if cap or veil for them- also I think they have mixed seating (not sure)
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

4. Seg or mixed seating?
7. Suspenders or not?

My wife was in the Beachy Amish congregation closest to Berlin, OH (Holmes County) from the time her parents left the Amish (when she was 12) until we married (1983). I would not consider the Beachy Amish Mennonite congregations to be a conference, but that may be due to differing definitions of 'conference'.
Here's my take on this as an outsider with 30 plus years exposure to BAM people. (This congregation supported our missionary work financially during our entire time on the field, even though neither of us were members any more.)
1. Veils or coverings? Back before we married (prior to Dec 1983) she wore coverings anytime she was around Holmes County, but veils when elsewhere. Beachy women now? I don't know about Sundays (coverings, I think), but mostly veils during the week. That congregation has changed drastically since the man who was the Bishop at that time stepped down. We visit there occasionally, but haven't been there for a Sunday morning in many years.
2. Internet? This congregation allows unlimited internet, in both the business and at home. No TV, but radios now allowed. (I know some more conservative BAM who do not approve any internet use at all in the home or business. In fact, some do not approve of a computer in the home if not for business use. These groups are mostly in KY & IL.) Radios are a big controversy now, and this congregation's association with the other BAM churches seems to be under a lot of pressure.
3. Schooling: Mostly church sponsored school after 6th grade. Kids were forced to quit no later than after 10th grade back in the 70's, but now that they have their own school (not this congregation, but a neighboring one), the young people are supported if they want to graduate from HS (but not pressured to do so at all). College is generally discouraged.
4. Seating? Back then seating was separate, now, I'm not sure. Mixed for services other than Sunday morning.
5. Communion, closed or open? Closed except for possibly other BAM people.
6. Beards? Required until the older Bishop stepped down, probably about 15 years ago or maybe a bit less. Some men stopped wearing them before it was approved to be clean-shaven. Most men who have beards keep them very short, sometimes like stubble. (What I call the Beachy see-through beard)
7. Suspenders? Only a few of the older men might still wear suspenders, most didn't even 30 years ago.
8. Solid color button shirts with a collar for meetings, t-shirts with collar & a few buttons OK for work.
9. Women's dresses: Cape dresses (solid color).
10. Evangelization Practices? Very active in prison & jail ministries, street witnessing in NYC. But very few outsiders find their way into the congregation.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

I used to be a part of a very conservative Beachy congregation from NMB.

My experience has been they are very interested in saving the lost, but they have a hard time differentiating between "Biblical" and "cultural" application.

That is why not many NMB find their way into those churches and why the few that do don't stay.

Not being able to speak Pa Dutch is a definite negative.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

ABC123 wrote:My experience has been they are very interested in saving the lost, but they have a hard time differentiating between "Biblical" and "cultural" application.
I agree...however...

Can "cultural"application be built on "biblical" principles as the community of faith discerns together how to live out their faith in changing times?
0 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Dan Z wrote:
ABC123 wrote:My experience has been they are very interested in saving the lost, but they have a hard time differentiating between "Biblical" and "cultural" application.
I agree...however...

Can "cultural"application be built on "biblical" principles as the community of faith discerns together how to live out their faith in changing times?
I have a deep respect for preserving a culture. I have a deep respect for practical Biblical application.

In actual experience I felt like I was always on the outside peering in through a window at a tantalizing scene that I could not really be a part of because I never really got all the little nuances.

These shoes were ok, but not those. A zipper here, but not there. Say this, but not that. This shade of color, but not that shade.

It was better to leave disappointed myself than to alter the good thing they had going for themselves.
0 x