Who's Who

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Who's Who

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr, for the "past" part of the query are there personages that you feel have helped to influence your church? Menno Simons certainly laid the foundation; are there others?
Wade wrote:What true greatness looks like
http://www.followers-of-the-way.org/med ... nvideo/249
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

MaxPC wrote:RZehr, for the "past" part of the query are there personages that you feel have helped to influence your church? Menno Simons certainly laid the foundation; are there others?
First one that comes to mind is Daniel Kaufman. I think his book Doctines of the Bible have influenced many preachers in my circle, who have in turn influenced our churches.

Edited to add:
I just noticed that Daniel Kaufman was mentioned on the Philosophical and Theological differences thread. :)
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:
MaxPC wrote:RZehr, for the "past" part of the query are there personages that you feel have helped to influence your church? Menno Simons certainly laid the foundation; are there others?
First one that comes to mind is Daniel Kaufman. I think his book Doctines of the Bible have influenced many preachers in my circle, who have in turn influenced our churches.

Edited to add:
I just noticed that Daniel Kaufman was mentioned on the Philosophical and Theological differences thread. :)
Of note is the influences on Kauffman.

Also of note is how groups who avoided Kauffmanism fared. They have clasped to nonresistance and the "ordinances" better.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:

Edited to add:
Thank you: I'll have to see if I can get a copy of his work.
I didn't see him mentioned in the Philosophical thread. My hope is to create a reference thread with this to highlight those who've influenced the Anabaptist vision. It's intent is not to be judgmental but to instead be a reference for those who wish to read the written works of these personages.

Sometimes it's easy to miss the mention of these names in the longer threads.
;)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:First one that comes to mind is Daniel Kaufman. I think his book Doctines of the Bible have influenced many preachers in my circle, who have in turn influenced our churches.

Edited to add:
Of note is the influences on Kauffman.

Also of note is how groups who avoided Kauffmanism fared. They have clasped to nonresistance and the "ordinances" better.
An interesting observation, given that it's DK who typically gets credited for the usual list of ordinances.

As Dwight Gingrich notes, he may not have originated the list, but including it in that format in Doctrines of the Bible carried a lot of weight:
WHAM! Suddenly we have a brand new FORMAL LIST of “ordinances” that thousands of people grow up assuming has always [been] around, handed down from Mount Calvary.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

A person who had both positive and negative impact on Anabaptism and one many now might wish to forget -

John Howard Yoder.

His book on The Politics of Jesus (a book I was first pointed to about Anabaptism) and many lectures had quite an impact on Anabaptists. His sinning certainly had impact on many if not most Anabaptists also.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote:A person who had both positive and negative impact on Anabaptism and one many now might wish to forget -

John Howard Yoder.

His book on The Politics of Jesus (a book I was first pointed to about Anabaptism) and many lectures had quite an impact on Anabaptists. His sinning certainly had impact on many if not most Anabaptists also.
Sounds like JH Yoder was influential.
But I never heard of him until MennoDiscuss. Nor am I familiar with his book. Was J.H.Y. influential in the plain circles directly or indirectly? I'm asking, I really don't know. Many plain people don't go to college and I question if we were influenced by him very much.
Maybe its just because I'm so far west, and behind the times.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Harold Bender, John Horsch, S. F. Coffman, George R. Brunk, Menno Simons, the composers of the Dortrecht Confession of Faith, my father, Donald Martin, Robert Friedmann, David Wagler, David Luthy, Joseph Stoll. and on and on.
These influencers may have been good, bad or indifferent, depending on who you ask.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

And definitely John Howard Yoder! We just need to determine what his legacy is. i was all set to reread all his books that I have until I read an article in the MQR. Now I don't know what to do. I guess when I consider that issue, I have to add John Roth as another influence. He was quite instrumental in breaking the message to a larger audience.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Hats Off wrote:And definitely John Howard Yoder! We just need to determine what his legacy is. i was all set to reread all his books that I have until I read an article in the MQR. Now I don't know what to do. I guess when I consider that issue, I have to add John Roth as another influence. He was quite instrumental in breaking the message to a larger audience.
So are you talking about the "famous" January 2015 edition of the MQR? Or something more recent?
0 x