Philosophical and Theological differences between Anabaptism and Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Philosophical and Theological differences between Anabaptism and Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism

Post by lesterb »

That is a bit of a mouthful. But lets keep it somewhat basic to start with.

Taken from this post...
RZehr wrote:As we move from a remnant mentality, to a segment mentality, I believe it become crucial that we know the difference between the Anabaptist concept of Christianity and the Protestant concept of Christianity. I think the teaching that is needed on this subject is not widespread enough.
Exactly right. I think a lot of our younger men (45 or lower) have no idea what you mean by an Anabaptist concept of Christianity. In fact, I think that a lot of them actually would feel a lot more comfortable with fundamentalism than true Anabaptism. Most Conservative Mennonite churches are simply conservative Fundamentalists.
1 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Philosophical and Theological differences between Anabaptism and Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism

Post by Dan Z »

So many good topics - so little time. :)

Here are three proposed differences to get the ball rolling:
  • 1) To paraphrase Harold Bender - The great word of the Reformers was "Faith" - the great word for the Anabaptists was "Following". "First and fundamental in the Anabaptist vision was the conception of the essence of Christianity as discipleship" where fundamentalists would articulate the essence of Christianity as belief.

2) Fundamentalists focus primarily on orthodoxy (right beliefs) as proof of the regenerated life
    Anabaptists focus primarily on orthopraxy (right practice) as proof of the regenerated life

3) Fundamentalists are Bibliocentric (centered on the Bible - the word of God)
    Anabaptists are Christocentric (centered of Christ - the Word of God)
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Philosophical and Theological differences between Anabaptism and Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism

Post by Neto »

One of the most glaring differences I see is God & Country vs God alone.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Fundamentalism according to Wikipedia first established 5 fundamentals that Christianity is based on -

1) Biblical inspiration and the infallibility of scripture
2) Virgin birth of Jesus
3) Belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin
4) Bodily resurrection of Jesus
5) Historical reality of the miracles of Jesus

I believe most Anabaptists, Evangelicals, Protestants and Roman Catholics would agree these are foundational Christian beliefs. Yes ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Sudsy-

I would say "no" to what is usually meant by #1.

Probably "no" to what is meant by "atonement" in #2.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Neto wrote:One of the most glaring differences I see is God & Country vs God alone.
Me too.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

joshuabgood wrote:Sudsy-

Would you mind explaining ?
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Sudsy wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:Sudsy-

Would you mind explaining ?
I found this that somewhat explains the Anabaptist view(s) on #3 the atonement. - http://www.directionjournal.org/30/2/at ... ology.html

What is the difference in how #1 is usually meant ?
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

I miss having access to Mennodiscuss, where we hashed this (and other current Mennonet themes) out month after month, year after year, and still, in this new forum, we have to repeat ourselves over and over again.

I like how Jesus put it: "he who has ears to hear, let him hear".
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Wayne in Maine wrote:I miss having access to Mennodiscuss, where we hashed this (and other current Mennonet themes) out month after month, year after year, and still, in this new forum, we have to repeat ourselves over and over again.

I like how Jesus put it: "he who has ears to hear, let him hear".
I miss MD too. But I don't want you to get tired of it. I was late getting to MD. These are issues that you older men need to teach us younger men, to help us think these things through even when we argue back and don't seem appreciative. And the fact that you hashed these out with some young people 10 years ago, doesn't do us any good today. There are those of us that won't on our own get research done, but we will learn by being able to ask questions.
This rehashing is an aspect of church, an aspect of helping one another understand, an aspect of brotherhood.
This teaching thing ain't a one and done.
0 x