What's the right answer for seekers?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Re: What's the right answer for seekers?

Post by YorkandAdams »

Josh wrote:Slight correction: one of the teachers is not technically MB, but was one of those NMB students at another Keystone urban school. :-)

Overall, TOP's track record is pretty good. Families worried about "urban dangers" should be more concerned about rural redneck culture dangers plus the fact "urban dangers" are right inside their homes via smartphones and social media. The best defence against the enemy is a good offence.

In my group (CGCM, Holdemans), we have a lot of small urban missions which young people are strongly encouraged to go to as part of VS, after 8th grade is done. There isn't a bad reputation of young people being lost to the world - if anything, the ones who spend time in VS missions are a lot less naive.
Thanks for the correction on that, and yes I agree the "urban dangers" is a remenant to older days (but the mentality is still engrained in a lot of families). The country is just as bad as the city unfortunately, and with the internet, kids can get into all kinds of trouble. Most kids from my setting are sheltered, but not completely nieve. But no matter how much you try to break that mentality, a lot of families seem to be really unconfortable with the city (even when only going throught it). York, PA is not mayberry by any stretch of the imagination and i think that perpetuates the problem.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: What's the right answer for seekers?

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: In general, if you are interested in a Mennonite church, and are NMB, I would suggest that Keystone is a very good choice in general.
J.M.
I agree. Assuming you are not looking for a church that is free from things like materialism, an interest in professional sports, and gradual acculturation.
I am not observing any of this from where I am. Only mention of professional sports (Except for the parking problems they cause) was once when one of the men took his two sons to a baseball game. I don't hear conversation about this, and I don't see much I would call materialism either, at least how I would define it.

My guess is that we are not observing the same set of churches. The ones I seem to be getting into and around are all urban, all quite outreach oriented, and all seeker friendly. Even some of the small town churches (Shenandoah for example) I have not seen or heard of those problems in.

If you say these problems exist, I won't deny that that could be the case. Just PLEASE don't ever tell me where. I am just enjoying where I am planted.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: