Articles by Asher Witmer

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Articles by Asher Witmer

Post by lesterb »

RZehr wrote:As we move from a remnant mentality, to a segment mentality, I believe it become crucial that we know the difference between the Anabaptist concept of Christianity and the Protestant concept of Christianity. I think the teaching that is needed on this subject is not widespread enough.
Exactly right. I think a lot of our younger men (45 or lower) have no idea what you mean by an Anabaptist concept of Christianity. In fact, I think that a lot of them actually would feel a lot more comfortable with fundamentalism than true Anabaptism. Most Conservative Mennonite churches are simply conservative Fundamentalists. Write a book about it RZehr.

What would you say is the basic area or areas where the two concepts differ? Actually, lets start a thread for that....
1 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I guess if what you are saying is true and I am not saying there is not some truth in it I also am way outside of that box. I went to private schools for all of my elementary schooling except for grade one and I have probably close to as many community contacts and friends as I have within the Anabaptist community. I am assuming I mix well with the community at large as I sit on numerous community and work related boards and organizations and turn down more than I accept.

I think there is something to the fact though that many Anabaptists could not articulate well what makes them different than mainline Evangelicals. I am not sure though that I would draw the line at 45. I think the problem might be just as great in the 50 and older. Maybe even more so in some cases.

But getting back to Asher's article. I really doubt that Asher fits in this category. While I do not know him well I do know his Dad very well and I certainly know he does not fit in that category. I really think that he is simply struggling out loud with how to properly communicate our faith with a modern society. And I see these as some of the questions he is asking.
1. Can success only be measured by the number of people that we fully integrate into our culture or are there other ways of measuring success? Is that even success?
2. Why is it that so many that interact with society in a close way end up throwing away even the good parts of our culture?
3. Is it even possible to hold on to the important aspects of our culture and still be an effective witness and not come across as self righteous?
4. How can we effectively be the hands and feet of Jesus to society today without becoming contaminated by the sickness that is so prominent in the world today?

I applaud him for openly asking these questions. I have and do ask them all the time myself. I have personally had the privilege of watching his family interact with society one weekend a few years back. I wish he was here right now to let us know if I am asking the right questions?
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote:As we move from a remnant mentality, to a segment mentality,
Can you please describe and define these more?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:We are talking about scenarios where unmarried men and women are dancing together.
Right, such as what happened with the dance with the tribe of Benjamin.
0 x