Quakers and Anabaptists

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Re: Quakers and Anabaptists

Post by Bill Rushby »

David Kline is a well-known author. For several years he has edited *Farming* magazine: https://www.farmingmagazine.net/index.html.

Look him up on Bookfinder.com for his outstanding nature books; for example, *Great Possessions: An Amish Farmer's Journal*.
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

"sounds like a German Jewish name." Lots of Anabaptist names are also Jewish names. Coblentz, Kline (Klein), Lehman (Layman), etc.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Never found it spelled "Klein" anywhere, and according to 23andme my family is 0.00% Ashkenaz.

I'm looking forward to going and visiting Malone with my mother.
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

Different ethnic groups with same or similar names often came from the same geographic areas. When Delbert Coning and I made our foray into South Dakota in the early 70s' to visit some Hutterites, the (Hungarian Catholic) folks in town told us that they and Hutterites with common names came from the same geographic communities in Hungary.
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

Josh wrote: "I was not aware they [Malone] had genealogical records. I'll have to ask my mother if she's explored that." They would have meeting minutes going back to the beginning in the Quaker settlement of Ohio. One can mine such records for genealogical information.
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

Temporal wrote: "They then moved to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, were among 36 founding members of the Hopewell Meeting House: (it's still there)
'HOPEWELL was the first Quaker meeting established in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. It was originally known as Opeckan and was set off from the Concord Quarterly Meeting of Pennsylvania in 1734. The actual date of first settlement is thought to be around 1730. The meeting house is located about 6 miles north of Winchester, Frederick Co., Virginia.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~quakers/hopewell.htm'"

The Hopewell meetinghouse is located only a short distance from I-81. It is a stunning building. There is still a meeting there, very liberal. They meet in a small room in the building. The building is a gorgeous example of a traditional Friends meetinghouse, but I would not feel comfortable as a regular of the congregation there. http://hopecentre.quaker.org/

There is also a large meetinghouse in downtown Winchester, which served the Orthodox Friends. There is no longer a resident meeting there. The Hopewell folks meet there once a month, I think.

I have never heard Calvert as a Quaker name. According to what you wrote, it goes back to Tennessee. I note that the Amish are moving into areas of TN historically occupied by Quaker groups (Tellico Plains TN).

The Hopewell Friends sided with the Hicksites when the big schism came in the 1820s.
0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

Bill Rushby wrote:Different ethnic groups with same or similar names often came from the same geographic areas. When Delbert Coning and I made our foray into South Dakota in the early 70s' to visit some Hutterites, the (Hungarian Catholic) folks in town told us that they and Hutterites with common names came from the same geographic communities in Hungary.

In that particular case the common names are likely due to an ethnic link rather than due to mere geographic proximity. A lot of Hutterites were forcibly converted to Catholicism through the efforts of the Jesuits during their sojourn in Hungary, and it may have been their descendants whom you met in South Dakota.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Erika, what you describe supports Bill Rushby's descriptions in this thread, of the contemporary divisions between the now more commonly found liberal Quakers and the "Orthodox."
this sort of division now exists in every Christian faith group i know of (my knowledge is limited) - Anabaptists struggle similarly. Catholics. Protestants. i'm unsure of EO.

this thread is principally about early Quakers, not meant to delve too deeply into contemporary lib Quaker groups .. which, with my limited view, i would expect to be pretty much as you describe.

there is an attractive Quaker Meeting House not terribly far from where i live.
after viewing their website, i have no plans to visit. i say that with sadness.

if anyone would care to begin a new thread, that would be welcome.
i'm not sure what more could be said on it, but, however that might unfold.
opinions on this forum have not ceased to amaze me. :)
Last edited by temporal1 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bill Rushby wrote:David Kline is a well-known author. For several years he has edited *Farming* magazine: https://www.farmingmagazine.net/index.html.

Look him up on Bookfinder.com for his outstanding nature books; for example, *Great Possessions: An Amish Farmer's Journal*.
Thank you! Thank you!!
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

Hello, Erika!

There are some Christian Friends in Australia, but not very many. Christian meetings in the UK are most common in Northern Ireland.

In America, the situation changes dramatically. The Christian Friends are a large majority in the South, Midwest and West. In the East, they tend to be in the minority. The urban, liberal Friends are the most visible in English-speaking countries, and observers assume they represent the whole denomination--which is not the case.

In "Third World countries," Friends are almost entirely evangelical. Kenya alone represents over half of the Society of Friends; over 150,000, I think.
0 x