Quakers and Anabaptists

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Quakers and Anabaptists

Post by temporal1 »

Bill Rushby wrote:Reaction to "Friendly Persuasion":

The scenery in the movie is exceptionally good.
The plot, focused on "resistance or non-resistance,"reflects moral dilemmas Friends and other conscientious objectors actually faced during the Civil War and other wars.
The portrayal of Quaker faith and practice seems rather stereotyped and lacking in substance.
The carriage race was well done and probably reflects what sometimes happened.

Jessamyn West grew up among Gurneyite ("fast") Friends, in southern California I think.
Her experience with traditional Quaker culture was, I would speculate, very limited and probably superficial.
It would be like having someone steeped in General Conference Mennonitism attempt to portray Old Order life and culture in a novel or movie, probably accurate on the surface but lacking an "insider" feel.

Jessamyn West was one of Richard Nixon's cousins.
thank you so much.
i now have more questions, not sure where to begin.

it’s strange to view this movie now, compared with how i understood it as a child.
as a child, “Quaker” was not significant to me. Samantha was! :lol:
it was family life depicted in familiar ways to me.

i was not familiar with women as pastors, but, that question didn’t really become something i thought about until years later. that is, men were pastors. i did not think of questioning it. (this was a movie. movies make up things.) more recently, i’ve read about it in even earliest Quaker history. i still don’t agree with it. but, it’s interesting to read about it in history.

watching the film now, it seems (a bit of a hodge podge) .. but, it attempts to address questions real people continue to struggle with. even on this forum.

i wonder if the movie had not been made, what would have come of the book?

i’ve now read, J West was born in Indiana, and, her writings were based on close family members/elders. these would have been in Indiana, or migrants to Indiana, probably in Civil War times?

that she had TB, was not expected to survive. this can be significant. children that survive hardships learn to appreciate life in different ways. because of her illness, she may have spent much more time with her elders, in their care. she may have written, being able to? maybe without a lot of choice?

1950’s southern california and hollywood definitely impact the movie.
not as it would today. evenso. “everything changes everything,” i was once told by a wise one.

as inaccurate or imaginative as it was, i can’t imagine present hollywood touching it for content.
today’s hollywood would not allow the Reb soldiers to ransack the Birdwell farm without accosting Eliza and the children; nor would they allow Mattie and the Union soldier to have an innocent courtship.

the relationships reflect how, in the Civil War, people were conflicted, close families were conflicted within. individuals struggled within. “brothers fighting brothers, cousins fighting cousins,” i heard my mother grieve these words often, praying, “please, never again!”

she wasn’t born until 1917, but, i believe she carried family accounts with her .. i only found out after she died, there were Quakers on her father’s side. she knew more than she spoke about. my parents hated war. but were not formally CO. they did not speak against CO’s. any talk of war was somber.

have you read West’s other books? i found this list:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/1 ... samyn_West
they appear to be a mix of history and fiction. there may be some variation (?)

i’m not sure if i knew of the J West/Nixon connection. but, it seems familiar.
i may have heard of it at sometime.

do you know of which Quakers Nixon was part, or came from?

this thread is not about J West. but, a bunny trail is ok. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

Actually, traditional Friends have no pastors in the conventional Protestant sense, and they have no ordained ministry. Separate meetings for business were held by men and women, and the women's meeting dealt with membership issues and family matters. It is unlikely that a woman would have been the spokesperson for the congregation in an Orthodox meeting during the Civil War. That is part of what I meant when I spoke of stereotyping Quaker faith and history.

Richard Nixon was a "paper member" of the Yorba Linda Friends Church in southern California. At that time it was affiliated with Friends United Meeting (formerly Five Years Meeting), which is the most conventionally Protestant Quaker affiliation. Now Yorba Linda is affiliated with the Evangelical Friends Alliance, a more theologically conservative Quaker denomination.

I think John Wimber was converted in the Yorba Linda Meeting and became a leader in it; then they disfellowshiped him as he became pentecostal/charismatic; IMHO they should never have put him out! Holy Spirit movements, both Holiness and Pentecostal/charismatic, have been very attractive to Orthodox Friends, both in the past and nowadays. This is true even for more traditional Conservative Friends.

Both FUM and EFA would fall into the "Gurneyite" category, nicknamed after Joseph John Gurney, their most prominent early leader. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_John_Gurney
Last edited by Bill Rushby on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

I think I read one of Jessamyn West's books, which was a fictionalized autobiography. I don't like fictionalized autobiographies because they intentionally mix truth with "fantasy". I think it is already hard enough to tell what is fact and what is "made up" in autobiographies without deliberately fictionalizing them!!! :roll:
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I enjoyed Jessamyn West's books very much when I was younger; the ones I own, I read more than once. Looking through my bookshelf I was almost inclined to pick one up as a light read but then passed it by for Gospel vs Gospel.
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

I have *Gospel vs. Gospel*, but never got it read. "There are so many books to read, and life is so short."
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Bill Rushby wrote: Actually, traditional Friends have no pastors in the conventional Protestant sense, and they have no ordained ministry.
Separate meetings for business were held by men and women, and the women's meeting dealt with membership issues and family matters.
It is unlikely that a woman would have been the spokesperson for the congregation in an Orthodox meeting during the Civil War.
:arrow: That is part of what I meant when I spoke of stereotyping Quaker faith and history.

Richard Nixon was a "paper member" of the Yorba Linda Friends Church in southern California. At that time it was affiliated with Friends United Meeting (formerly Five Years Meeting), which is the most conventionally Protestant Quaker affiliation.
:arrow: Now Yorba Linda is affiliated with the Evangelical Friends Alliance, a more theologically conservative Quaker denomination.

I think John Wimber was converted in the Yorba Linda Meeting and became a leader in it; then they disfellowshiped him as he became pentecostal/charismatic; IMHO they should never have put him out!

Holy Spirit movements, both Holiness and Pentecostal/charismatic, have been very attractive to Orthodox Friends, both in the past and nowadays. This is true even for more traditional Conservative Friends.

Both FUM and EFA would fall into the "Gurneyite" category, nicknamed after Joseph John Gurney, their most prominent early leader.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_John_Gurney
Thank you, this is much what i was looking for. Some of this is familiar, and, helps me understand how the film, altho entertaining, confuses reality.
Bill Rushby wrote:I think I read one of Jessamyn West's books, which was a fictionalized autobiography. I don't like fictionalized autobiographies because they intentionally mix truth with "fantasy". I think it is already hard enough to tell what is fact and what is "made up" in autobiographies without deliberately fictionalizing them!!! :roll:
i understand!
when i was young, i enjoyed reading some historical fiction, not what i think of as “Romance novels,” but, i believe they led me to want to learn more .. i believe they serve a purpose, but, not everyone would care for them. i suppose, for me, they offered the human side to history, insights to daily life and everyday people, perspectives not usually included in strictly historical documents.
agreed, even historical documents are not always of balanced, unbiased facts.
Bill Rushby wrote:I have *Gospel vs. Gospel*, but never got it read. "There are so many books to read, and life is so short."
i’m not finding this. do (either you or Hats Off) have an author?
Hats Off wrote:I enjoyed Jessamyn West's books very much when I was younger; the ones I own, I read more than once. Looking through my bookshelf I was almost inclined to pick one up as a light read but then passed it by for Gospel vs Gospel.
interesting. i was hoping maybe others who had read might add comments. i intend to do some light reading of J West’s books. esp keeping info learned in this thread in mind.

i added a book list i found in a link above. do you recognize/own any of those titles?

it will be interesting to read Friendly Persuasion now, to compare with hollywood’s interpretation. one thing, no background music playing all through! :P
Last edited by temporal1 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

The author of Gospel versus Gospel is Theron Schlabach.

Code: Select all

[/Schlabach describes and interprets the involvement of the Mennonite Church in mission from 1863 to 1944. Included is information on the theological and sociological changes that took place within the Mennonite church during this time period. Readers see the growth and application of the mission idea and of missionary concepts. Ultimately it raises questions of what version of the gospel Christians ought to be preaching.code]
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote:The author of Gospel versus Gospel is Theron Schlabach.

Code: Select all

[/Schlabach describes and interprets the involvement of the Mennonite Church in mission from 1863 to 1944. Included is information on the theological and sociological changes that took place within the Mennonite church during this time period. Readers see the growth and application of the mission idea and of missionary concepts. Ultimately it raises questions of what version of the gospel Christians ought to be preaching.code][/quote]  many thanks!  i did not find anything close to it!   :D

now i found a FB page for it.  it’s quite plain.
2 have “liked” the page.  i am 1.    :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gospel-Versus-Gospel-Theron-F-Schlabach/164642110243817
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

*Gospel vs. Gospel* was available at a steep discount at Green Valley Book Fair for years. |It should also be available on Bookfinder.net and AddAll.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Random Quaker-related notes i hope to learn more about:
(Images below may not be Quaker related.)

Face to Face: Early Quaker Encounters with the Bible

Video
Quaker Speak / Are Quakers Amish?

0 x

UNKNOWN