Quakers and Anabaptists

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Re: Quakers and Anabaptists

Post by Bill Rushby »

Josh and Temporal: Speaking of ethnicity, what were the Quaker names in your family trees? I suspect that Josh's ancestors might not have all been Orthodox, which would explain the indifferent attitude toward orthodox Christianity.
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

A large majority of Friends are orthodox Christians. Perhaps two-thirds are in Kenya, Bolivia and Guatemala. In the U.S. perhaps 80% belong to officially Christian yearly meetings, but their level of visibility is lower than that of the liberals. Interestingly, there is quite a bit of "realignment" going on in the U.S., some of it rather bitter, in reaction to same-sex controversies. Sound familiar?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bill Rushby wrote:Josh and Temporal: Speaking of ethnicity, what were the Quaker names in your family trees? I suspect that Josh's ancestors might not have all been Orthodox, which would explain the indifferent attitude toward orthodox Christianity.
Cline - not sure of rest since I don't know some of my ancestors' maiden names.
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

Hello, Josh! Cline is a name I would associate with Mennonites and Brethren, including the variant Kline. Right at the moment, I can't recall encountering any Quaker Clines, certainly no Orthodox ones.

As studious as you seem to be (which I commend), I suggest that you investigate your family's history. The vast resources on the Internet make that much easier to do.

If you know the meeting some of your ancestors belonged to, you could check the genealogy resources at Malone College and probably find out a lot about your family's history in a hurry. Friends were very meticulous about record-keeping.

Anyway, my best to you!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bill Rushby wrote:Hello, Josh! Cline is a name I would associate with Mennonites and Brethren, including the variant Kline. Right at the moment, I can't recall encountering any Quaker Clines, certainly no Orthodox ones.

As studious as you seem to be (which I commend), I suggest that you investigate your family's history. The vast resources on the Internet make that much easier to do.

If you know the meeting some of your ancestors belonged to, you could check the genealogy resources at Malone College and probably find out a lot about your family's history in a hurry. Friends were very meticulous about record-keeping.

Anyway, my best to you!
That's interesting (my dad was a professor there for 13 years, and my mother was an adjunct prof. off and on, and my brother and sister graduated from there). I was not aware they had genealogical records. I'll have to ask my mother if she's explored that.

Sometime I'd like to visit the Conservative Quaker meeting house near me (Salem, Ohio), but I am very unclear on when it meets. My mother and sister tried going there once but there was nobody there.

Thanks Bill!
0 x
Bill Rushby

Post by Bill Rushby »

Josh: Contact information for Salem sent via P.M.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

hi Bill,
the oldest Quaker names i've found are Chenoweth and Calvert. late 1600's-early 1700's.
Hollingsworth is connected to Calvert, but, i'm not sure if they were Quakers.
i'm not yet comfortable saying Hollingsworth is a name in my family line, but, i think so.

those names go back to late 1600's England, Ireland, Wales, which, in my mind, were early years for Quakers. i'm impressed with how quickly people chose to become Quakers! and, at such great peril. it's hard to imagine in today's world, such a time as that.

there was a house fire, the early (Virginia) Hopewell Meeting records were lost. the original Meeting house structure was logs.
http://hopecentre.quaker.org/history/ho ... eting.html
.. Following the custom of Friends, records were faithfully kept from the time of the establishment of the Meeting. All of these records have been preserved with the exception of the first twenty-five years.
The records for the years 1734 to 1759 were lost in a fire that destroyed the house of William Jolliffe in 1759 ..
one thing i have to remind myself, in early times, the states, as we know them, were vastly different, or were not yet states. Illinois became a state in 1818. in early years, Ohio, and to the Mississippi River were "the frontier West." later, "West of the Mississippi" became the frontier West.

it's a lot for my tiny brain to grasp. but, interesting!

my understanding is mostly recent, nothing from first-person accounts.
i've found some records that connect to some family records. i've been asking in my family, so far, nothing. my oldest elders have passed, i feel some of those probably knew about some connections, but, no way to confirm.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bill Rushby wrote:Hello, Josh! Cline is a name I would associate with Mennonites and Brethren, including the variant Kline. Right at the moment, I can't recall encountering any Quaker Clines, certainly no Orthodox ones.

Anyway, my best to you!
another possible variation of Cline is Klein, which (i think of) as from German and/or Jewish roots. names were frequently recorded incorrectly, or deliberately altered, as folks moved to new locations. for years, German was the 2nd language in the U.S., and, taught in public schools.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

In the 50's and 60's there was an Old Order Mennonite bishop in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia named Russel Cline. David Kline is an Amish birder and naturalist, i believe from Ohio. Klein, which means small in German, sounds like a German Jewish name.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Hats Off wrote:In the 50's and 60's there was an Old Order Mennonite bishop in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia named Russel Cline. David Kline is an Amish birder and naturalist, i believe from Ohio. Klein, which means small in German, sounds like a German Jewish name.
Would love to hear more about an Amish birder and naturalist!
0 x