Quakers and Anabaptists

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Re: Quakers and Anabaptists

Post by Bill Rushby »

Hello , Susan Ann!

I am not really any kind of expert about the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing), but I think it is probably part of the "Wee Folk". See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Chur ... ontinuing) Sort of
the Scottish Presbyterian analog of the Conservative Friends, or perhaps the Primitive Friends!!

If I were a dissident Scottish Presbyterian (which I don't doubt that I would be!!!), I would probably be a not-altogether-satisfied part of the Continuing Church!

Bill
1 x
SusanAnn
Affiliation:

Post by SusanAnn »

Thanks Bill, I'd like to attend one of their services, particularly if there was gaelic singing, you do not get a lot of unaccompanied singing in British churches, and it's something that always moves me. One of my Baptist friends, who I consider to be quite a Conservative Christian ( but this is UK standards so take that into consideration) told me about visiting Free Church Relatives in the Hebrides,it was an unusually lovely day and they wanted to go for a walk on the beach on a Sunday but were absolutely terrified of encountering any church elders, as it would not have been considered a suitable Sabbath activity.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

John Dickinson. A bit of Quaker/U.S. history.

“The Patriot Who Refused to Sign the Declaration of Independence”
https://www.historynet.com/the-patriot- ... ndence.htm
.. Another source of Dickinson’s moderation lay in his complicated relation to the Quaker faith. Dickinson’s parents were both Quakers and so was his wife, Mary Norris, the daughter and heiress of a wealthy Pennsylvania merchant and landowner.
Dickinson balked at actively identifying with the Friends and their commitment to pacifism.

Even though he worried as much as any moderate about resistance escalating to all-out warfare, he supported the militant measures Congress began pursuing once the British military clampdown began in earnest. But at the same time, Dickinson’s rearing and close involvement with Quaker culture left him with an ingrained sense of his moral duty to seek a peaceful solution to the conflict.

Dickinson’s belief that the colonists should make every feasible effort at negotiation was reinforced by his doubts as to whether a harmonious American nation could ever be built on the foundation of opposition to British misrule. Remove the superintending authority of empire, Dickinson worried, and Americans would quickly fall into internecine conflicts of their own.“ .. ..
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i’m surprised to find Quakers referenced in various threads, maybe esp regarding slavery (a current big political topic in the mainstream, general election year). A new example today:

Page 1 / “New Book Available”
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3261
PetrChelcicky wrote:There's a video in the series "Anabaptist perspectives", where Zook explains his ideas about race relations. I haven't seen all of it, but I suppose that he doesn't touch the more sensitive points.
so far, i’ve viewed about half the video.

Early Quakers and Anabaptists crossed paths, helped and learned with/from each other.

Page 5, this thread, references 1688:
temporal1 wrote:
Bill Rushby wrote:The first protest by a colonial church body against the keeping of slaves took place at Germantown (Philadelphia) in 1688. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1688_Germ ... st_Slavery

Note that this Quaker group consisted of ex-Krefeld Mennonites who had joined the Quaker church in colonial Pennsylvania. I believed that they returned to the Mennonite fold when that denomination became sufficiently numerous in colonial Pennsylvania.
great reading.
i appreciate the world context and history included, too often ignored in youthful U.S. context.

i had no idea Quakers were held as slaves.
interesting about document restoration and preservation, too.

it makes sense that by the time the Woolman treatise was published, years of thinking+discussion preceeded. i think this is typically how things work ..

there is an (anthropological?) phrase for this i wish i could recall.
Neto, if you read this, do you know the phrase i'm thinking of?! -
PetrC,
Bill Rushby is a Quaker scholar (i believe is a fair description)? - Bill may read this+correct. :)

PDF / 26 pages
“The First Person in Antislavery Literature: John Woolman, his Clothes and his Journal”
Geoffrey Plank
https://www.fgcquaker.org/system/files/ ... cle%29.pdf
Last edited by temporal1 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Bill Rushby hasn’t posted (in too long). :?
Keep hoping he’ll stop by.

UsefulCharts / Matt Baker / “Episode 4: Anabaptists & Quakers” | Christian Denominations Family Tree Series / -23min

✏️ FULL SERIES:

Episode 1: Origins & Early Schisms

• Episode 1: Christian Origins & E...

Episode 2: Roman Catholics & Eastern Orthodoxy

• Episode 2: Roman Catholics & Eas...

Episode 3: Anglicans, Lutherans & Reformed

• Episode 3: Anglicans, Lutherans ...

Episode 4: Anabaptists & Quakers

• Episode 4: Anabaptists & Quakers...

Episode 5: Baptists & Methodists

• Episode 5: Baptists & Methodists...

Episode 6: Mormons, Adventists & JWs

• Episode 6: Mormons, Adventists &...

Episode 7: Pentecostals & Charismatics

• Episode 7: Pentecostals & Charis...

Episode 8: Miscellaneous Groups

• Episode 8: Poster Launch + Misce...

Check out Ready to Harvest’s video here:
• What are Mennonites Like Today?

CREDITS:
Chart & Narration by Matt Baker
Animation by Syawish Rehman
Audio editing by Ali Shahwaiz

Found in Comments:
✏️ @djehuty13 WROTE:
11 months ago
As a British Quaker, it's a would be nice if the chart included a bit more of the Quakers in Britain (especially since that's where it's started!).

It would be interesting to explore a bit more about what happened to the Friends in Britain since George Fox and how they evolved separately to Friends in the US.

It would also be good to include bits about Friends outside of these two countries, like in Kenya, for instance -
it would be a shame to reduce such a diverse group down to just those found in a single country.

Besides that, I've really been enjoying this series so far!
0 x

UNKNOWN