Doctrine of Salvation?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Doctrine of Salvation?

Post by Sudsy »

joshuabgood wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:10 pm "What are you saved from?"
The penalty of sin (eternal death), the power of sin (we are no longer a slave to sin) and someday the very presence of sin (when we are forever with the Lord).
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

That is an important question. Often neglected in the synthetic salvation gospel where every use of the word is forced too be about obtaining eternal life.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:51 am A good question is what “belief” means to a typical English speaker.
Certainly. And I surely doubt it is the one I presented here as a Biblical one. I have heard Christians say that we should never use the word 'believe' except in the context of belief in God, that one ought instead say "I think", or something of that nature.

But you are correct - any terms we use, especially with non-believers, should be clearly defined. And we need to ask THEM what they mean when they use a term like that. I've mentioned this before, but one day years ago during break time at work a woman asked me if I was a "born-again Christian". I knew that she was a sometimes church attender at the church where she grew up, but that she was not a Christian. So I was somewhat taken aback by the question, and that's probably why I asked her what that means. She proceeded to give me three terms people commonly use for 'Christian', and defined each one for me. It was very enlightening, and I think that's why I try to never make assumptions that others mean the same thing with a given word as I do. ('Born-Again' meant a person who was born into the church, left, then returned, thus 'born-again'. Her church practiced infant baptism, so maybe that helped create that idea for her. If I remember correctly, the term 'born-again' was started by Billy Graham, because there were so many people who viewed themselves as 'Christian'. For example, the response to the question "Are you a Christian?" would be met with the incredulous response "Well, I'm American, aren't I?!")
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Jesus first used the term "born again" - 'Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.' Then He went on to explain this term to Nicodemus who was confused by the term - John 3.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Separation from God.
1 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

silentreader wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 pm
Separation from God.
True and what separates from God ? Sin, according to scripture.

So then the question is in what way are we separated from God ? Like the 'born again' question. Is Isaiah 59:2 a good answer ?
But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear.
https://www.gotquestions.org/does-sin-s ... m-God.html
Last edited by Sudsy on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The whole point of being born again is to have the power to stop sinning.
1 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:20 pm
silentreader wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 pm
Separation from God.
True and what separates from God ? Sin, according to scripture.

So then the question is in what way are we separated from God ? Like the 'born again' question. Is Isaiah 59:2 a good answer ?
But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear.
https://www.gotquestions.org/does-sin-s ... m-God.html
I added an explanation from 'gotquestions' to consider.
0 x
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:59 pm Jesus first used the term "born again" - 'Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.' Then He went on to explain this term to Nicodemus who was confused by the term - John 3.
Jesus used the term born again in a very specific way. I’m not sure that being born of the Spirit is actually within our control. I wold link the statement you cite with someone discovering that treasure in a field,?or pearl of great price. Only those whom the Spirit Himself has give a spiritual birth will see so and know it’s value. It’s nothing that one can obtain from a prayer on a tract or an emotional catharsis at revival meeting.
0 x
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

This is from Brother Glenn Roseberry, a missionary in Tanzania who explicitly preaches the Good News of the Kingdom rather than trying to “save” people. He disciples them, including caring for the sick and the widows. I consider him an Apostle in the truest sense of the word;

————————-
Mystery solved.

A pastor said one time during a conversation that the number one question he is asked by people in his congregation was how can they have assurance of salvation. Many, he said were doubting their faith. He shared that people would come to him sad, at a point of great need and even near death. They sought solace and comfort. He told me that he spent most of his time reassuring people in moments of doubt. He went on to explain, how he tried to comfort people that were fearful of judgment by telling them of God’s love and care for them.

I hold the opposite opinion. Like Paul, I challenge people to review themselves and see if they are in the faith. I would tell a doubting and struggling soul, that if they are not sure of their relationship to God then let us repent. Let us cry out for mercy and then turn from our ways, abandon the ways of this world and follow Jesus. If you are not sure, don’t ask someone to assure you of your salvation. Fall on your face before God and cry out for forgiveness. Make certain your relationship to God.

Ever wonder if you really love Jesus? Let Jesus solve that mystery for you. If you love Him, you will obey Him. If you say you love Him and disobey Him you are a liar. In fact if you don’t obey Him you don’t even know Him. The verdict is in. There is no mystery.

"If you love me, keep my commands”. John 14:15

Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.” John 14:23

Anyone who does not love me, will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. John 14:24

This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 1 John 5:2-3

In fact it goes even farther. The bible says that if we don’t obey Him, we don’t even know Him. If we say we do, we are a liar.

Whoever says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person”. 1 John 2:4

This verse answers a question I have asked. It was always a mystery to me as to why we see kings and rulers in many of Jesus parables on judgment and judgment day, including the virgins with not enough oil at the wedding, being treated as strangers like in Matthew 25. The bride groom comes to the door and the virgins knock asking to come into the banquet. But Jesus says depart, He never knew then. Like 1 John 2:4, they think they know Him, but the bible says if you don’t obey Him, you don’t know Him or love Him. They are turned away from a banquet they were certain they belonged to and were invited into. They were originally, expected participants. But in the end, they were wrong.

Remember, theologians divorce faith and works, obedience and belief. Jesus and the bible know of no such divorce. There is no faith without obedience. Faith without works is dead faith. And dead faith will not save you. There is no real belief without real fruit. It is not a mystery. Not anymore. Really, it never was. Jesus and the Apostles make that abundantly clear.
2 x