Doctrine of Salvation?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Doctrine of Salvation?

Post by Franklin »

I would like to know what is the Mennonite doctrine of salvation. Specifically what is required for salvation and can it ever be assured that one is saved and will go to heaven?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Doctrine of Salvation?

Post by Josh »

Franklin wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:32 pm I would like to know what is the Mennonite doctrine of salvation. Specifically what is required for salvation and can it ever be assured that one is saved and will go to heaven?
Well, I can tell you what my particular Mennonite church teaches. I think most Mennonites would be similar, at least the more conservative ones.

We start by believing that God is good and God is just. This means God won't allow sin and evil in heaven. But he does want to set humans free from sin and evil and choosing evil and choosing to go to hell. We believe he sent his son, Jesus, to open the way for humans to do this. We believe that before this, the only path to salvation was following the Old Testament law, and doing the sacrifices for sin as spelled out in the law.

But since Jesus came, we believe he showed us what it is like to desire to live in Jesus' kingdom. Much of the New Testament consists of Jesus' words, talking about what the "kingdom of heaven" is like. For example, "the kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed - a very small seed, but when planted by a gardener, it grows into a large tree, and birds come and nest in its branches".

We believe that, eventually, one will feel convicted of the sin and evil in one's own life and choices, and realise they need to be saved. When they hear the good news preached from the New Testament and Jesus' words, they realise they can ask Jesus to set them free from sin, and then they can seek other Christians, who are also followers of Jesus, to help them live a new life free from sin and evil's clutches.

We think that Jesus saves us from sin, and thus when we are rid of sin and evil, we can be "saved" on the final judgment day.

Different groups of Mennonites use different terms for "assurance'. More-conservative Mennonites prefer to say that we have a "hope" of salvation. Their hope lies in that they believe God is good, and they place their trust in him to judge them rightly but with compassion, as a perfect Judge would, on the final day.

Some groups prefer to say there is "assurance". That is, if one asks Jesus for forgiveness and tries to follow him, one is assured of being saved in the end. Some groups feel like attending communion helps maintain one's "assurance of salvation". The communion ritual is modelled after the Jewish tradition of Passover, which is the type / picture of salvation presented in the Bible.

The ritual of baptism, which is modelled after the Jewish tradition of the miqvah, is the type / picture of the initial act of salvation. Mennonites believe one is saved before baptism, but that baptism is the ultimate outward sign of obedience showing one truly desires to be a Christian and to be saved.

I hope that helps and it would be great for other Mennonites to explain how they believe it or how their church teaches it.
4 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

This won't be as complete as what Josh wrote, but here's a few comments.

I would say that the Mennonite belief says that salvation is only possible through Jesus, the Son of God, the WORD who descended from heaven the abode of God, and became human (became flesh, not took on flesh). I would also add that this is the only possible way of salvation that ever has existed, not will another way ever appear.

Regarding the period of the Law, the one who sought after God found that the Law is a Law of Love, one which points out the need of God's grace, the consciousness that no amount of sacrifice or human effort will ever earn salvation. That is, the Law does not promise salvation from our sinfulness, it only allows sacrifice for unintentional sin - basically "mistakes". As the OT Law-doer realized this need, he or she was brought into the hope of the promised Deliverer, who is Jesus, the Chosen (Anointed) One of God. What the OT believer looked forward to in anticipation, we may look back at, since Jesus has already now come and has made the sacrifice required to reconcile us to God, breaking down the barrier created by willful sin.

In the books of the Bible we call the New Testament, the opposite of belief is literally disobedience. This informs us to a greater degree regarding what it means to believe, that it is basically obedience. Belief that Jesus is the Son of God, God Himself, is the turning point that places a person into the family of God, into his kingdom, with Jesus as our Master, Savior, brother, and King.

Regarding the assurance of salvation, I do not hesitate to use the same phrase as is used by the Calvinists, although they would say that I am not using it right, or ‘playing with words”: “The eternal security of the believer.” If one defines belief correctly, then as long as one believes, there is utter and total security, with no room for doubts.

Some Mennonites talk about salvation in a way which makes it sound like they think that salvation only comes to an individual as a part of a group, not at the individual level. It is true that when we are saved by God, we become a part of the family of God, the Body or Bride of Christ, and that our relationship with that body of believers is essential. I would say, however, that this does not in any way negate the Scripture which tells us that “Whoever believes in him (Jesus) will never perish, but have eternal life (with him).”

Well, I thought I wouldn’t be writing much here, but I got carried away, just thinking of the greatness of our God & Savior.
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Franklin wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:32 pm I would like to know what is the Mennonite doctrine of salvation. Specifically what is required for salvation and can it ever be assured that one is saved and will go to heaven?
Here is the Mennonite Brethren Confession of Faith regarding Salvation -

God’s Initiative
We believe that God is at work to accomplish deliverance and healing, redemption and restoration in a world dominated by sin. From the beginning, God’s purpose has been to create for Himself a people, to dwell among them and to bless them. Creation and all of humanity are without hope of salvation except through God’s love and grace. God’s love is fully demonstrated in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

God’s Plan
Throughout history, God has acted mightily to deliver people from bondage and draw them into a covenant relationship. Through the prophets, God prepared the way of salvation until finally God reconciled the world to Himself by the atoning blood of Jesus. As people place their trust in Christ, they are saved by grace through faith, not of their own doing, but as a gift of God. God forgives them, delivers them from sin’s bondage, makes them new creatures in Christ, empowers them by the Holy Spirit, and seals them for eternal life. When sin and death are finally abolished and the redeemed are gathered in the new heaven and the new earth, God will have completed the plan of salvation.

Humanity’s Response
Though Jesus entered a world ruled by sin, He chose not to submit to its allure and broke its domination. Through His obedient life, His death on the cross, and His glorious resurrection, Christ triumphed over Satan and the powers of sin and death, opening the way for all people to follow. Convicted by the Holy Spirit, people turn from sin, entrust their lives to God, confess Jesus Christ as Lord, and join the family of God. All who receive Christ are born again, and have peace with God, and are called to love one another and live at peace with their neighbour. Those whom God is saving no longer live for themselves, for they have been set free from sin and called to newness of life.

Exodus 6:1-8; 15:2; 20:2; Psalm 68:19-20; Isaiah 43:1; Matthew 4:1-11; Mark 10:45; John 1:12; 3:1-21; 13:34-35; 16:8-11; Romans 3:24-26; 5:8, 12-21; 8:18-25; 10:9-10; 1 Corinthians 1:18; 2 Corinthians 5:14-21; Ephesians 1:5-10, 13-14; 2:8-9; Colossians 1:13-14; 2:15; Hebrews 2:14-18; 4:12; 5:7-9; 9:15-28; 11:6; 1 John 4:7-11; Revelation 5:9-10; 21:1-4.

More specifically to your questions I added the underlining parts.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Post by danfreed »

Hi Franklin,

Thanks so much for your question, and I echo the answers Josh, Neto, and Sudsy gave.

I also look forward to hearing your understanding of salvation.

Keys points on salvation (as I understand it) are summarized in various New Testament writings, especially Ephesians chapter 2.
I think that most serious Christians (including most Mennonites) would agree with these points. I underlined what I find most significant

1. Our need of salvation - All people are sinners, spiritually dead, deserving of God's wrath -- greatly in need of salvation (Eph 2:1-3)

2. God provides salvation - in His great love and mercy, He offers salvation to us as a free gift of His grace (verses 4-8)

3. Receiving salvation - by grace, through faith. Faith is the instrument by which we can receive this free salvation (verses 8-9). We must personally have faith in God - believing that Jesus' death and resurrection was for our sins. This faith is a casting of the whole self on God's mercy and grace.
Romans 10:9-10 is helpful here as well (see below)

4. Results of salvation - good works will follow true faith, reflecting God's character and purpose (verse 10); results in eternity also include great glory to God (verse 7).
Titus 2:11-14 another excellent summary of salvation, especially the results of salvation, and the future return of our Savior Jesus Christ (see below)

Ephesians 2:1-10
"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Romans 10:9-10
"If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved."

Titus 2:11-14
"For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."
1 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

The responses so far have largely been that of Evangelical Protestantism, though the question itself obviously suggests a Theology that is not necessarily related to the word “salvation” (sozo) as was used by Jesus and his witnesses.

You obviously mean how one obtains eternal life after death.

While the formulas other folks have posted are good summaries, Anabaptism has some unique distinctions. One being that this “Kingdom of God” or “Kingdom of Heaven” is present here and now - heaven, so to speak, is not merely a place where you go when you die. You can live in it now and, if you endure to the end, you will continue to live unit in a spiritual body with even greater presence when you die.

Another distinction is the implication of the “salvific” faith you claim. The forefathers of the Mennonites (and many Anabaptists today) reject the “justification by faith alone” formula invented by Luther (who added the word “alone”.) and instead focus on the meaning of the claimed faith. Mennonites who mouth the Evangelical “believe in Jesus for salvation” understand implicitly that such faith requires action to be actual faith.

The ancient Anabaptists were bolder in their assertions about following Jesus and discipleship. And there is a revival of this idea growing in the ”Kingdom movement”, But I’m tired and will not go into that now.
Last edited by Wayne in Maine on Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Here's what the Confession of Faith in a Mennonite Perspective has to say:
We believe that, through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God offers salvation from sin and a new way of life to all people. We receive God’s salvation when we repent of sin and accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. In Christ, we are reconciled with God and brought into the reconciling community of God’s people. We place our faith in God that, by the same power that raised Christ from the dead, we may be saved from sin to follow Christ in this life and to know the fullness of salvation in the age to come.

From the beginning, God has acted with grace and mercy to bring about salvation–through signs and wonders, by delivering God’s people, and by making a covenant with Israel.1 God so loved the world that, in the fullness of time, God sent his Son, whose faithfulness unto death on the cross has provided the way of salvation for all people.2 By his blood shed for us, Christ inaugurated the new covenant.3 He heals us, forgives our sins, and delivers us from the bondage of evil and from those who do evil against us.4 By his death and resurrection, he breaks the powers of sin and death,5 cancels our debt of sin,6 and opens the way to new life.7 We are saved by God’s grace, not by our own merits.8

When we hear the good news of the love of God, the Holy Spirit moves us to accept the gift of salvation. God brings us into right relationship without coercion. Our response includes yielding to God’s grace, placing full trust in God alone, repenting of sin, turning from evil, joining the fellowship of the redeemed, and showing forth the obedience of faith in word and deed.9 When we who once were God’s enemies are reconciled with God through Christ, we also experience reconciliation with others, especially within the church.10 In baptism we publicly testify to our salvation and pledge allegiance to the one true God and to the people of God, the church. As we experience grace and the new birth, we are adopted into the family of God and become more and more transformed into the image of Christ.11 We thus respond in faith to Christ and seek to walk faithfully in the way of Christ.

We believe that the salvation we already experience is but a foretaste of the salvation yet to come, when Christ will vanquish sin and death, and the redeemed will live in eternal communion with God. https://www.mennoniteusa.org/who-are-me ... salvation/
2 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:26 pm The responses so far have largely been that of Evangelical Protestantism, though the question itself obviously suggests a Theology that is not necessarily related to the word “salvation” (sozo) as was used by Jesus and his witnesses.

Yes, I assume these are the same. I assumed that "salvation" means saving the soul from hell for Christians.
danfreed wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:47 pm I also look forward to hearing your understanding of salvation.
As a non-Christian who doesn't believe in heaven and hell, my answer will be very different. I view salvation as evolutionary salvation which means saving my genes and preventing them from going extinct. The Old Testament is the best guide for this as it makes clear with its emphasis on one's descendants.

But I don't think the definition of salvation is the important part. The important part is whether or not salvation is assured. Someone who feels that their salvation is assured, however salvation is defined, lacks any motive to study and seek truth. I discussed this in my post on Christianity that I made years ago.

The reason that I am bringing this up now is because I visited Colonia Vianna in north Mexico last weekend and attended a Church of God church service there and it felt odd to me. The extreme confidence that I felt at that service makes me think that they may believe in assured salvation which I would find unacceptable. Some people that I know have already moved to Colonia Vianna (fleeing the expected tyranny coming to America) and I asked them to talk to people at that church and find out. Of course there are plenty of Mennonite churches in the area that could work as an alternative. Based on Josh's answer it seems that Mennonite views vary but conservative Mennonites seem not to believe in assured salvation, so they would be fine. And this is the sense that I got from the conservative Mennonite churches that I visited in America.
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Franklin wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:57 pm
Wayne in Maine wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:26 pm The responses so far have largely been that of Evangelical Protestantism, though the question itself obviously suggests a Theology that is not necessarily related to the word “salvation” (sozo) as was used by Jesus and his witnesses.

Yes, I assume these are the same. I assumed that "salvation" means saving the soul from hell for Christians.
danfreed wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:47 pm I also look forward to hearing your understanding of salvation.
As a non-Christian who doesn't believe in heaven and hell, my answer will be very different. I view salvation as evolutionary salvation which means saving my genes and preventing them from going extinct. The Old Testament is the best guide for this as it makes clear with its emphasis on one's descendants.

But I don't think the definition of salvation is the important part. The important part is whether or not salvation is assured. Someone who feels that their salvation is assured, however salvation is defined, lacks any motive to study and seek truth. I discussed this in my post on Christianity that I made years ago.

The reason that I am bringing this up now is because I visited Colonia Vianna in north Mexico last weekend and attended a Church of God church service there and it felt odd to me. The extreme confidence that I felt at that service makes me think that they may believe in assured salvation which I would find unacceptable. Some people that I know have already moved to Colonia Vianna (fleeing the expected tyranny coming to America) and I asked them to talk to people at that church and find out. Of course there are plenty of Mennonite churches in the area that could work as an alternative. Based on Josh's answer it seems that Mennonite views vary but conservative Mennonites seem not to believe in assured salvation, so they would be fine. And this is the sense that I got from the conservative Mennonite churches that I visited in America.
Are you looking for a church to attend as a non-christian?
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

nett wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:04 pm Are you looking for a church to attend as a non-christian?
Yes. Where I live now I have been attending mosque as a non-muslim. I just want to attend a conservative religious service.
0 x