Proper expectations on unbelievers

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Proper expectations on unbelievers

Post by Neto »

Just to be a bit contrary here - let's take this thought process to its logical conclusion. Long hair is a glory for the woman. But what is the man's glory? The woman. So if the woman should not display her glory in public, then maybe the man shouldn't either. So then you end up with the Muslim idea of covering the woman. Completely.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: However, isn't their a place for calling people to return to a practice that we believe is God-honoring - a practice that society used to affirm - without demanding that people accommodate our preferences?
Preachers have been doing this for centuries. We do it on MN all the time.
I guess I am puzzled at why we would call an unbeliever to return to a practise that we believe is God-honoring. This could be considered as an attempt at controling others to the way we prefer things which is the old self in charge. What would be the motive behind having a sinner change a specific activity that we consider God-honoring ? Might it be motivated similar to how Pharisees acted who judged others actions compared to their own self righteous ways ? Not sure that God is honored by this approach or change in practise.

But sharing with another believer is different although the motive is still in question. We shoud keep Romans 14 in mind in doing that.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote:
Ernie wrote: However, isn't their a place for calling people to return to a practice that we believe is God-honoring - a practice that society used to affirm - without demanding that people accommodate our preferences?
I guess I am puzzled at why we would call an unbeliever to return to a practise that we believe is God-honoring. This could be considered as an attempt at controling others to the way we prefer things which is the old self in charge. What would be the motive behind having a sinner change a specific activity that we consider God-honoring ? Might it be motivated similar to how Pharisees acted who judged others actions compared to their own self righteous ways ? Not sure that God is honored by this approach or change in practise.

But sharing with another believer is different although the motive is still in question. We shoud keep Romans 14 in mind in doing that.
Over and over Jesus called non-Christians to do things that would honor God. He called the Pharisees to return to former Jewish practices that were God-honoring. I'm not sure why you question whether God would be pleased with this?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Neto wrote:Just to be a bit contrary here - let's take this thought process to its logical conclusion. Long hair is a glory for the woman. But what is the man's glory? The woman. So if the woman should not display her glory in public, then maybe the man shouldn't either. So then you end up with the Muslim idea of covering the woman. Completely.
I think this is a great thought process. I don't think women should be displayed in public and I don't think favorably of men who do this to them.
Just as I don't expect women to hide every hair, so I don't expect women to be completely hidden. This is true from a number of different angles, including their bodies, souls, personhood, and femininity.

Modern western culture has only two levels. There is one setting for private physical intimacy and a second level where everything is made public.
More advanced societies have a whole spectrum from the private to the public.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote:

Maybe our view of God's law informs our practice in this regard. Do we see these God-honoring practices as being for our good and the good of society in general, or do we see them as restrictions that make life harder for us?
If my unconverted neighbor is a drunkard, is it really inappropriate to encourage him to stay away from the bar? Is it only my believing visitors that should be forbidden from smoking in my house?
I don't think we should focus only on externals to the exclusion of the internals, but sometimes what helps people to see their actual heart condition is showing them how their actions compare with godly living.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:
mike wrote:I have a dress standard for my employees, but I can't imagine demanding things like this of a business partner's wife. Or maybe I should say I can't imagine having a business partner that I was so strongly in disagreement with.
I'm with you Mike.

However, isn't their a place for calling people to return to a practice that we believe is God-honoring - a practice that society used to affirm - without demanding that people accommodate our preferences?
Exactly how far do we go with this? And how specific?

And especially in areas where scripture is utterly mute? Scripture talks of heads being covered, but not hair being covered specifically. And it certainly never discusses up or down.

The Bible does say not to wear braids, which in my experience many plain people do - often in order to be able to easily put their hair up when it is really long.

Would it be appropriate for me to demand a woman not wear braids because I felt the Bible said not to?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:Would it be appropriate for me to demand a woman not wear braids because I felt the Bible said not to?
I've indicated earlier that I don't believe in demanding people to do things.

And I started a thread on how I think we should read and use the Bible.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:
Ernie wrote:
mike wrote:I have a dress standard for my employees, but I can't imagine demanding things like this of a business partner's wife. Or maybe I should say I can't imagine having a business partner that I was so strongly in disagreement with.
I'm with you Mike.

However, isn't their a place for calling people to return to a practice that we believe is God-honoring - a practice that society used to affirm - without demanding that people accommodate our preferences?
Exactly how far do we go with this? And how specific?

And especially in areas where scripture is utterly mute? Scripture talks of heads being covered, but not hair being covered specifically. And it certainly never discusses up or down.
I've discussed my thoughts on this here.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=413&start=70#p10384
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

appleman2006 wrote:
Josh wrote:A few months ago, I heard a plain Anabaptist person express that he finds his business partner's wife's hair distracting when it is down and long and flowing, and he discussed with him that he would like it if she were more modest and put her hair up when around him (or better yet wear a covering).

Keep in mind neither his partner nor his partner's wife are what I would describe as kingdom Christians.

What are reasonable expectations on unbelievers? I feel like expecting women to have their hair up is a very specific application of modesty, but hardly a universal biblical principle. And it seems very unreasonable to expect people who aren't even Christians to start complying with certain items of a specific church's standard.

(Regarding that standard, my own church does expect that, and I think it's a good application, but I can't find where the Bible says a woman's hair must be up - it just says uncut and that her head should be covered for prayer & prophecy.)
Wow. just Wow! I agree with Robert. But I would also say that if this guy has that kind of problem with his thoughts that he is the problem and he better take a real good look at why he has this problem. Blaming his thought life on someone else is a real cop out IMO.
Seems like some Muslims agree.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... 002589ac17

Quite the article. Its eerie how similar the arguments are to the arguments made by many Christians about headcovering (and other matters) They appeal to the same sources, the text, history, reason, etc. to make their case.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Seems like some Muslims agree.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/12/21/as-muslim-women-we-actually-ask-you-not-to-wear-the-hijab-in-the-name-of-interfaith-solidarity/?utm_term=.7e002589ac17

Quite the article. Its eerie how similar the arguments are to the arguments made by many Christians about headcovering (and other matters) They appeal to the same sources, the text, history, reason, etc. to make their case.
A Muslim faculty member once told me that Mohammed used some of the teachings of the Christians and Jews when establishing Islam. I'm sure he was also proselytizing because he also said that Islam was the next logical evolutionary step for morality. He also said that the only woman mentioned in the Quran is Mary the mother of Jesus. They recently renamed one of their mosques "Mary the Mother of Jesus" in the United Arab Emirates.

We live in interesting times ;)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God