Proper expectations on unbelievers

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Proper expectations on unbelievers

Post by Josh »

A few months ago, I heard a plain Anabaptist person express that he finds his business partner's wife's hair distracting when it is down and long and flowing, and he discussed with him that he would like it if she were more modest and put her hair up when around him (or better yet wear a covering).

Keep in mind neither his partner nor his partner's wife are what I would describe as kingdom Christians.

What are reasonable expectations on unbelievers? I feel like expecting women to have their hair up is a very specific application of modesty, but hardly a universal biblical principle. And it seems very unreasonable to expect people who aren't even Christians to start complying with certain items of a specific church's standard.

(Regarding that standard, my own church does expect that, and I think it's a good application, but I can't find where the Bible says a woman's hair must be up - it just says uncut and that her head should be covered for prayer & prophecy.)
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Proper expectations on unbelievers

Post by Robert »

I wonder what motivated him to go into business unequally yoked. This might be the real issue.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:A few months ago, I heard a plain Anabaptist person express that he finds his business partner's wife's hair distracting when it is down and long and flowing, and he discussed with him that he would like it if she were more modest and put her hair up when around him (or better yet wear a covering).

Keep in mind neither his partner nor his partner's wife are what I would describe as kingdom Christians.

What are reasonable expectations on unbelievers? I feel like expecting women to have their hair up is a very specific application of modesty, but hardly a universal biblical principle. And it seems very unreasonable to expect people who aren't even Christians to start complying with certain items of a specific church's standard.

(Regarding that standard, my own church does expect that, and I think it's a good application, but I can't find where the Bible says a woman's hair must be up - it just says uncut and that her head should be covered for prayer & prophecy.)
Reasonable expectations of an unbeliever, imo, is they are sinners by nature and if Jesus lived among them, so should we just as they are.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Josh wrote:A few months ago, I heard a plain Anabaptist person express that he finds his business partner's wife's hair distracting when it is down and long and flowing, and he discussed with him that he would like it if she were more modest and put her hair up when around him (or better yet wear a covering).

Wow. just Wow! I agree with Robert. But I would also say that if this guy has that kind of problem with his thoughts that he is the problem and he better take a real good look at why he has this problem. Blaming his thought life on someone else is a real cop out IMO.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

appleman2006 wrote:

Wow. just Wow! I agree with Robert. But I would also say that if this guy has that kind of problem with his thoughts that he is the problem and he better take a real good look at why he has this problem. Blaming his thought life on someone else is a real cop out IMO.
AMEN!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

This reminds me of whenever people try to guilt trip those not in the faith who are going through divorce by saying "You made a covenant before God"

I do not hold unbelievers to the Scripture. The law and decency? Yes. But not the Word.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

KingdomBuilder wrote:This reminds me of whenever people try to guilt trip those not in the faith who are going through divorce by saying "You made a covenant before God"

I do not hold unbelievers to the Scripture. The law and decency? Yes. But not the Word.
Why not?
Is it decent for a man to break his promise?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:This reminds me of whenever people try to guilt trip those not in the faith who are going through divorce by saying "You made a covenant before God"

Why not?
If someone didn't make a covenant before God, it's not reasonable to tell them to honour their covenant before God.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:

Why not?
If someone didn't make a covenant before God, it's not reasonable to tell them to honour their covenant before God.
Can a person make a covenant that is not before God?
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

ken_sylvania wrote:Why not?
Didn't say I'm fine with divorce amongst unbelievers. Nor did I say it was decent. I'm just not okay with holding them to the standards of believers.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do