Proper expectations on unbelievers

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Proper expectations on unbelievers

Post by appleman2006 »

What was reasonable when you were a child, Ernie? Dress styles from the seventies were not reasonable. :P :P :)
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: As a sideline, we are starting a community garden for people we get to know, and we are thinking of having a minimum dress standard to be involved in the community garden. What would you think is reasonable for a plain person to ask of non-plain people? Is it possible that what was reasonable when I was a child 30 years ago is no longer reasonable?
I like the concept of faith based community gardens and know of one in a city close to us. Myself, I would not be concerned over what people wear to participate. Jesus didn't eat and drink with sinners only if they didn't drink alcohol or didn't eat junk food. I think it is good for church folk to mingle with those Christ came to save and in this interaction trust the Holy Spirit to keep our focus on the soul regardless of it's outward appearance.

Here is a link for those not familiar with this more recent form of evangelism and social helps - http://sustainabletraditions.com/2010/0 ... ty-garden/
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

appleman2006 wrote:Dress styles from the seventies were not reasonable. :P :P :)
Leisure suits.
Nuff said.
:laugh
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote:As a sideline, we are starting a community garden for people we get to know, and we are thinking of having a minimum dress standard to be involved in the community garden. What would you think is reasonable for a plain person to ask of non-plain people? Is it possible that what was reasonable when I was a child 30 years ago is no longer reasonable?
No shirt, no shoes, no seeding?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

Ernie wrote:As a sideline, we are starting a community garden for people we get to know, and we are thinking of having a minimum dress standard to be involved in the community garden. What would you think is reasonable for a plain person to ask of non-plain people? Is it possible that what was reasonable when I was a child 30 years ago is no longer reasonable?
Milk skirts would work. Gardening isn't going to be a day at the beach. Your group is ambitious and I wish you a fruitful season.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote:I like the concept of faith based community gardens and know of one in a city close to us. Myself, I would not be concerned over what people wear to participate.
And if society got to the point where women showed up topless would you do anything then? We are almost there now. Had some of these come to the garden last year.
Last edited by Ernie on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote:
Plain people often go barefoot.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Martin wrote:Milk skirts would work.
What is a milk skirt?
Martin wrote: Gardening isn't going to be a day at the beach.
How does this relate to the above.
Martin wrote: Your group is ambitious and I wish you a fruitful season.
What do you know about us?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
Plain people often go barefoot.
Interesting how we would have a collective panic attack over someone who is "topless" yet expect to be tolerated being barefoot.

Many people who aren't plain think it is a sign of being underdressed to be barefoot in public. Some groups like Church of God Restoration actually teach that being barefoot is seductive/immodest. In some cultures it indeed is.

In any case, I was talking about:

1. Someone expects his business partner's wife to have her hair up if she comes by to see him during lunch hours.

2. Our society doesn't associate having hair up with modesty.

3. There is no biblical commandment or admonishment for a woman to keep her hair up.

4. Plain people really think women should wear their hair up. They don't feel the same about covering one's feet, so this is clearly just a cultural application of modesty.

5. I am wondering how expecting a woman to have her hair up helps spread the message of the gospel.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:There would have been a time in America when it would have been perfectly appropriate for a businessman to expect his business partner's wife to have her hair up when she showed up at the place of business or at the businessman's house. That was when every one in the town believed in God.
However, at this same time, this would not have been expected of the native American's when they came to do business with the European immigrants and their descendants.
The Pilgrims weren't quite sure what to do when the Indians came to Plymouth and walked down the streets basically naked. I think it was common for the English to try to educate the Indians in these matters, and ask them to wear at least some clothing, but I don't have any primary sources on this.
The point being that they did not expect the same of the heathen that they did of Christians.

Today the lines are so blurred between heathen and Christian that it makes the topic difficult.

As a sideline, we are starting a community garden for people we get to know, and we are thinking of having a minimum dress standard to be involved in the community garden. What would you think is reasonable for a plain person to ask of non-plain people? Is it possible that what was reasonable when I was a child 30 years ago is no longer reasonable?
I would expect them to be attired the same way your local culture expects people to be dressed when going to the grocery store, or when employed at a local flower shop, garden/mulch place, etc.

Another guideline is whatever people are expected to wear when visiting McDonald's or Starbucks.
0 x