An Anabaptist Mega-Church ?

Post by Sudsy »

0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: An Anabaptist Mega-Church ?

Post by Josh »

In conservative Anabaptism, large meeting facilities are frowned in for just weekend gatherings. But something like a camp, Bible school, Penn Valley, etc. suitable for large gatherings would be okay.

Megachurches usually have a staff. Conservative Anabaptists don't typically pay staff, but paying staff of a school, etc. would be okay.

Anabaptists usually feel the right size for accountability and brotherhood is under 150 people, and would seek to church plant or create new church districts once over this size. I would say the what Anabaptists call a "church" corresponds with Boyd's "small group".

The question is if Anabaptists meet in large conferences once a week, or even once a month. The answer is no.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Those house church groups of 30 or so that Woodland Hills has is like our MB church Care Groups. I believe this is the setting that the gifts of the Spirit can operate in if sought for and given a chance to operate. Large group gatherings work well for corporate worship, sermons and banquets, imo.

I wonder how many Anabaptist churches represented on this forum have these small house groups for close community involvements and fellowship in their congregations ?
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

In the church I grew up in the church was devided up into 8 small groups for things like Wed. Evening Bible study as well as to provide more intimate support to each other but I am guessing this was an exception for conservative Anabaptist groups.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Didn't this die out?
He used to seem to talk a good bit about it, but as time has passed since this article he is less and less vocal about it.
I don't listen to him anymore, so correct me if this has changed.

I imagine there was some level opposition??
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Didn't this die out?
He used to seem to talk a good bit about it, but as time has passed since this article he is less and less vocal about it.
I don't listen to him anymore, so correct me if this has changed.

I imagine there was some level opposition??
I found this on the Woodland Hills website, dated Sept 7,2016
Our house groups are typically 8-16 people or so. :) We feel that’s the ideal size for everybody to get to contribute, be heard, and start to get to know each other.
Aside - You said you don't listen to him anymore. Do you still consider Greg to be an Anabaptist ?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

When I saw this topic my first reaction was: "Anabaptist MegaChurch" is an oxymoron.

That's because those churches I would label as "mega" have at least 1000-1500 families that attend Sunday service. Some have up to 5000 families. That's 1000s of people in a large auditorium every Sunday.

But then I realized that the Anabaptist idea of "mega" may refer to smaller numbers. Still I've always appreciated the Anabaptist thinking in keeping church communities small to maintain familiarity.

I've often felt that when one of our church communities becomes too large for the members to know each other, it's time to found another parish.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

Josh wrote:Megachurches usually have a staff. Conservative Anabaptists don't typically pay staff, but paying staff of a school, etc. would be okay.

Anabaptists usually feel the right size for accountability and brotherhood is under 150 people, and would seek to church plant or create new church districts once over this size. I would say the what Anabaptists call a "church" corresponds with Boyd's "small group".
Megachurches become a business and accountability would be just about nonexistent as people would not want to lose members (money). I have seen it. Megachurches become just one big social club.

I like that Anabaptist churches tend to be small. Beside the small church size is made up with the size of the weddings. :D
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: I've often felt that when one of our church communities becomes too large for the members to know each other, it's time to found another parish.
Yes, many of the folk attending the church I attend, I don't know and having 2 identical Sunday Services back to back also makes fellowship difficult.

And another area that concerns me is where tithes and offerings go to support larger churches. I know some Anabaptist churches don't have much requirement to spend money on functions within their fellowship like paid leaders, adminstration and building expenses while others do. Our MB church, for instance, has 3 full time paid pastors and other full time administration staff. We also have put considerable money into a gymnasium, cafe, Sunday School rooms, a youth center, sound systems, interior decorating updates, etc. Some see this as a testimony to the world to the glory of God. I'm not sure this is where tithes and offerings were meant to be spent. Seems to me they should be primarily spent to reach and help those in need both in and ouside the church. Perhaps we should be allocating a tithe of the tithe (i.e.10%) on our internal needs and the 90% going to evangelism and needs outside the church.

Well, I guess this is a topic in itself. What does Jesus think of how we allocate tithes and offerings ? My guess is He wouldn't be too pleased with much of what is happening in North American churches.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:In conservative Anabaptism, large meeting facilities are frowned in for just weekend gatherings. But something like a camp, Bible school, Penn Valley, etc. suitable for large gatherings would be okay.

Megachurches usually have a staff. Conservative Anabaptists don't typically pay staff, but paying staff of a school, etc. would be okay.

The question is if Anabaptists meet in large conferences once a week, or even once a month. The answer is no.
If I remember correctly, Malcolm Gladwell's "tipping point" is 150 people. He wasn't talking about church but the point could apply.
0 x