An Anabaptist Mega-Church ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: An Anabaptist Mega-Church ?

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:When I saw this topic my first reaction was: "Anabaptist MegaChurch" is an oxymoron.

That's because those churches I would label as "mega" have at least 1000-1500 families that attend Sunday service. Some have up to 5000 families. That's 1000s of people in a large auditorium every Sunday.

But then I realized that the Anabaptist idea of "mega" may refer to smaller numbers. Still I've always appreciated the Anabaptist thinking in keeping church communities small to maintain familiarity.

I've often felt that when one of our church communities becomes too large for the members to know each other, it's time to found another parish.
There are Anabaptist churches that are close to hitting attendance of 1,000 if young children and babies are included. The ones that come to mind are the stronghold churches of Washington Co., Holdemans in Kansas, and the CMC (Grace and Maple City).
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I was at the church in Buffalo Missouri and was told they have about 1,000 people. They have them all in the church building, one service.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote:I found this on the Woodland Hills website, dated Sept 7,2016
Our house groups are typically 8-16 people or so. :) We feel that’s the ideal size for everybody to get to contribute, be heard, and start to get to know each other.
What does that have to do with them "becoming" Anabaptists/ Mennonites, though? Hope I don't sound rude here.
JW's do this sort of thing, too. As do most other denominations, really.

Aside - You said you don't listen to him anymore. Do you still consider Greg to be an Anabaptist ?
In ways, yes. In other ways, no. But can you really just be part Anabaptist? Are you not either one thing or your not?
I believe he is undoubtedly inspired by some Anabaptist beliefs... But I wouldn't be hasty to label him as one.
There are many things he preaches/ does that are far from what I'd say Anabaptist do..
As time has gone on, I think he's drifted a bit away from his original proclamations of Anabaptism.

What do you think?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

The Bruderhof Commnities, with several thousand members connected to their Sunday meetings, might be the closest to an Anabaptists Mega-Church, if one accepts that this group is "Anabaptists".
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Don't forget White Oak Church of the Brethren. Their auditorium seats about a 1000 I believe. I sent this article to one of their ministers.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Sudsy wrote:I found this on the Woodland Hills website, dated Sept 7,2016
Our house groups are typically 8-16 people or so. :) We feel that’s the ideal size for everybody to get to contribute, be heard, and start to get to know each other.
What does that have to do with them "becoming" Anabaptists/ Mennonites, though? Hope I don't sound rude here.
JW's do this sort of thing, too. As do most other denominations, really.

Aside - You said you don't listen to him anymore. Do you still consider Greg to be an Anabaptist ?
In ways, yes. In other ways, no. But can you really just be part Anabaptist? Are you not either one thing or your not?
I believe he is undoubtedly inspired by some Anabaptist beliefs... But I wouldn't be hasty to label him as one.
There are many things he preaches/ does that are far from what I'd say Anabaptist do..
As time has gone on, I think he's drifted a bit away from his original proclamations of Anabaptism.

What do you think?
Sorry, I may have mis-understood what you meant by dying out. I thought you were referring to Woodland Hills house churches dying out when this quote I found sounds like it hadn't at least up to last September, 2016.

I guess one would have to specify exactly what the necessary beliefs and practises are to be called an Anabaptist to know who qualifies and who does not. Within my understanding of an Anabaptist there is quite a range of beliefs and practise but they all seem to have certain core beliefs i.e. 'non-resistance', 'believers baptism', etc.

I find much of Greg's teachings very compelling and often challenging to some traditional ways of viewing certain portions of scripture. He has come through quite a journey from Roman Catholic to atheist to Pentecostal Oneness to Calvinism to Anabaptism with extensive secular and religious education and I doubt he will find a spot where he fits in to any certain group of Anabaptists. I feel much the same although I am settling into a Mennonite Brethren congregation. I love his podcast ministry. Probably surprising to some here to hear this coming from a 70 year old. And yes, I am not convinced on all his beliefs but I believe he really has found the closest thing to Kingdom of God life that I find in scripture. My MB teaching pastor and I are quite fond of Greg's teachings.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

On a seasonal basis, anything within a few miles of Pinecraft would qualify. :roll:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited