CPR with sacrificial love.

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

CPR with sacrificial love.

Post by Soloist »

You might wonder how this relates to Anabaptism... its very simple. Respond to the scenario below.

You are out on a hike by yourself and you see a fellow hiker a little distance ahead. They fall down and are not moving. You being the great person you are run over and determine they have no pulse and are not breathing. For purpose of this narrowly scripted scenario, you have a radio and help will arrive in about 15 minutes. Also, you do not have any protective barrier or the means to create one.

Do you do hands only CPR knowing that the amount of air remaining won't last and brain damage will occur with a dramatically reduced survival chance?

Do you do mouth to mouth increasing their chance of survival and risking exposing yourself to disease?

(I had to take another renewal class yet again... so painful)

This is a sacrificial love question that you could easily spin to multiple of scenarios such as HIV positive patients.

Would it make a difference if it was a baby who was HIV positive?

Thoughts?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: CPR with sacrificial love.

Post by Josh »

Considering HIV doesn’t spread that way, it wouldn’t be hard to decide... but at my last CPR class, I learned mouth to mouth isn’t even recommended anymore; proper, consistent chest compressions are more important.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

You'd be shocked by this, but a handkerchief or a shirt sleeve can go a long way. Don't ask how I know. 8-)

And the whole HIV being contagious is a topic for another day....
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:48 am You'd be shocked by this, but a handkerchief or a shirt sleeve can go a long way. Don't ask how I know. 8-)

And the whole HIV being contagious is a topic for another day....

yeah clearly we know that HIV doesn't get transmitted that way, but generally people are afraid of it regardless of actual risk. The whole point of the question seems to have been missed... Also there are other diseases that are spread through spit and then there is the vomit to deal with.
Josh wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:37 am Considering HIV doesn’t spread that way, it wouldn’t be hard to decide... but at my last CPR class, I learned mouth to mouth isn’t even recommended anymore; proper, consistent chest compressions are more important.
CPR wants you to do compressions because it is the single most effective way of reducing risk of death. Now... a question for you Josh, how long does that oxygenated blood last in your body? How long can it support brain function? Have you looked into this? have you had CPR classes when it used to be 2 days in length? Have you taken EMT training?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville

Soloist wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:21 pm
CPR wants you to do compressions because it is the single most effective way of reducing risk of death. Now... a question for you Josh, how long does that oxygenated blood last in your body? How long can it support brain function? Have you looked into this? have you had CPR classes when it used to be 2 days in length? Have you taken EMT training?
Raise your hand if you have done CPR on a real person, or at least helped.

If you did... you find out in a hurry how chaotic it gets. There's a few here on MN that would know...

This isn't directed at anyone, just the forum in general. (Gotta add that disclosure because everyone seems so thin-skinned lately)
0 x

Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:07 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:21 pm
Raise your hand if you have done CPR on a real person, or at least helped.

If you did... you find out in a hurry how chaotic it gets. There's a few here on MN that would know...

This isn't directed at anyone, just the forum in general. (Gotta add that disclosure because everyone seems so thin-skinned lately)
I'll raise my hand, lol. What you haven't mentioned yet is how exhausting it is when you are limited on (or don't have) assistance. :shock: For those who are worried, I keep a small CPR barrier mask in my truck or with me at all times. They're not expensive, and well worth the peace of mind for those concerned about transmission.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:21 pmCPR wants you to do compressions because it is the single most effective way of reducing risk of death. Now... a question for you Josh, how long does that oxygenated blood last in your body? How long can it support brain function? Have you looked into this? have you had CPR classes when it used to be 2 days in length? Have you taken EMT training?
The classes I took were half a day in length, spread over several different days. Not EMT training, it was first aid training since I needed to fill up my training schedule to keep my foster carer licence current.

By the time I took them (2011) I learned that it's more important to focus on compressions than doing mouth to mouth, we still learned mouth to mouth, but compressions do almost as much to move air in/out of the body.

Of course the statistics you are asking me (how long oxygenated blood lasts, etc.) and how effective CPR was are kind of depressing, but what I learned what is important is to keep going and not stop even for 10 minutes.

I'm not an EMT and haven't been trained on this lately nor paid attention, so this may be out of date. Nowadays I would look for an AED machine instead of trying to do CPR as they're so commonplace.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:10 pmI'll raise my hand, lol. What you haven't mentioned yet is how exhausting it is when you are limited on (or don't have) assistance. :shock: For those who are worried, I keep a small CPR barrier mask in my truck or with me at all times. They're not expensive, and well worth the peace of mind for those concerned about transmission.
Or grab one of the many face masks lying around.
1 x
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:12 pm Nowadays I would look for an AED machine instead of trying to do CPR as they're so commonplace.
And truth be told, they are effective, not just a gimmick.
0 x

Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:19 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:12 pm Nowadays I would look for an AED machine instead of trying to do CPR as they're so commonplace.
And truth be told, they are effective, not just a gimmick.
They tend to always be in school buildings (even those evil unregulated private Mennonite schools that don't have government oversight to make sure we aren't discriminating against LGBT students); there has been a drive from the state to offer the equipment and have it installed near the fire extinguishers. If you have a church+school, chances are an AED is nearby.

We'll probably need them, based on the sharp increase in heart attacks seen in young people in Israel..
1 x