Cult Next Door Movie

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Cult Next Door Movie

Post by Hats Off »

I am sure there is too much abuse among people attending Mennonite churches, but I am also sure that we are more awake to it than we have been for a long time. I am also sure that we are working harder to expose the abusers and to help restore both the abused and the abuser. I am also quite confident that in the past we have done more to help the abuser, thus hurting the abused even more. We have many reason for regrets and much work still ahead of us.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ABC 123 wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Josh, I know you are well aware that it is no secret Mennonites have been plagued with some of the same immorality that you are accusing Bill Gothard of- remember this came up on MD? I really don't want to list all the stories out there- but by using the same logic/conclusions you are, one would toss out Mennonites with Gothard perhaps for similar reasons. In fact I know a young man in Ohio who was raised Mennonite that said he could expose so much that it would completely destroy Mennonite denomination (you may even know of him) I'm not saying this to criticize Mennonites at all because I know better than to judge the whole by a part- just saying it is easy to defend that which we are a part of, and turn blind eyes while tearing down others for the same thing- as that passage 'judge not lest ye be judged the same judgement' we just have to be careful. There is sin in every camp and we know it. The enemy doesn't need to tempt and try to take down ineffective Christians, he will try to destroy those trying to make a difference, especially those in the public eye- have seen that over and over.
I have mulled over this post and I have to say I am horrified if this is true. Enough abuse to destroy an entire denomination needs to be be exposed and stopped NOW. (Not to say "just a little" abuse would be ok...)

We would sit passively by and just turn a blind eye to this and by that same token give another guy (in this discussion, Gothard) a pass because "it's happening everywhere"???????

These statements are disturbing on so many levels.
Please show me where I suggested giving Bill Gothard 'a pass'! Please read the intent of my post- it was CERTAINLY NOT to give Gothard a pass, just to point out that we tend to easily expose sin in other camps when we have the same- Apostle Paul taught the Corinthians about restoring a brother in grievous sin-
forgive me if I implied giving sin ANYWHERE a pass. Just suggesting perhaps some hypocrisy.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Other than my post at the very beginning of this thread I have stayed out of it not because I was not thinking about it but rather because I hardly know how to put my thoughts into words.
First of all I agree with the sentiment that calling Bill Gothard's system a cult is probably too strong and actually lessens the true meaning of the word and what is generally understood to be a cult.

Having said that I do think that some of his teachings had cult like tendencies and I still get really uneasy with his strong approach of never ever thinking it was right to question authority. And while our groups especially our more conservative groups would not say it in the same words he did I think we do have to be careful that we do not fall into that same trap. I think it is those situations that lead to abuse, abuse that should never ever be found among us.
As to the guy that stated he could bring down the whole Mennonite church with his stories of abuse? I am not sure how to respond to someone like that. The fact is that he may very well have been aware of a situation that has caused him to be very bitter with the church of his upbringing and while that is very sad I cannot counter his experience and say that it is simply an isolated case. There are too many situations like that unfortunately.
However for every case like that, I could probably name you ten cases of people and families that are living God honouring lives of service and dedication. I will even stick my neck out here and say that I believe the ratio of good to bad is actually considerably better than it is in most church settings throughout North America. And way better than in most secular settings. But it should be. We are called to a higher standard and more is expected of us.

So are there areas that we really need to be careful and watch ourselves. I think there are and I believe one of them is how we as fathers and church leaders exercise our authority. I wonder sometimes if we allow fear to be our guiding principle rather than love but there is probably a whole book right there.

On a side note I also believe that we have to be careful about taking every rebellious teenager's account of how things went down in their home as the gospel truth. And when the secular press gets in the middle we need to be even more cautious. But nor should we turn a blind eye, ever.

In summary with all the things that are going down right now I predict that Christians, especially those that actually attempt to live out what they preach are going to be under greater scrutiny than ever before. We need to be firm in our beliefs, consistent in all areas and yet always show an attitude of love and care even towards those that might despise us.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Amen Appleman, couldn't agree more
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Probably the thing I dislike about Gothard and ATI the most are all the friends or former friends I have who grew up in that system and are now part of Homeschoolers Anonymous and other organisations dedicated to eliminating homeschooling and religious freedom.

The other depressing aspect is how many people who grew up in that are completely atheist or agnostic now. 1% of people who grew up ATI plan to raise their own kids that way. That's a sign something is seriously wrong.

There is no meat to chew on here - just a pile of dry bones.
0 x