College/higher education

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

College can cause spiritual failure/weakness

Total votes: 0

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: College/higher education

Post by Ernie »

A couple days ago, I attended a graduation ceremony of some friends at Penn State. (The ceremony was for graduate students, MA's and PhD's.) The new president of the university did her best to tout the blisses of higher education.

At one point in the evening she asked all those who were first generation graduates to stand. The crowd clapped for them. First generation grad students were also asked to stand. The crowd clapped for them.

These thoughts crossed my mind...
What if we would also clap for those who used their time to raise a family, serve their neighbors, or serve the King instead of going to college? What if those who spent four years cleaning the halls and restrooms would also get to walk across the stage and receive a certificate for work well done?

In a similar vein..
Why do we have anniversary celebrations but not similar celebrations for singles who have served the church well?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Good point. We (Catholics) do celebrate those who serve Christ well. Some even receive an annual feastday to remember the example they set.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:29 am A couple days ago, I attended a graduation ceremony of some friends at Penn State. (The ceremony was for graduate students, MA's and PhD's.) The new president of the university did her best to tout the blisses of higher education.

At one point in the evening she asked all those who were first generation graduates to stand. The crowd clapped for them. First generation grad students were also asked to stand. The crowd clapped for them.

These thoughts crossed my mind...
What if we would also clap for those who used their time to raise a family, serve their neighbors, or serve the King instead of going to college? What if those who spent four years cleaning the halls and restrooms would also get to walk across the stage and receive a certificate for work well done?

In a similar vein..
Why do we have anniversary celebrations but not similar celebrations for singles who have served the church well?
It was a specific ceremony to celebrate a specific type of achievement. A birthday party is for a specific person, who, in actuality, is only one day older. Everyone there meets that criteria, but only one is 'celebrated'. But as to your point about wedding ceremonies - point well taken. Those who are not married are passed over in many other ways as well.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Neto wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:01 amIt was a specific ceremony to celebrate a specific type of achievement. A birthday party is for a specific person, who, in actuality, is only one day older. Everyone there meets that criteria, but only one is 'celebrated'. But as to your point about wedding ceremonies - point well taken. Those who are not married are passed over in many other ways as well.
My point is that western society values formal study, and downplays the value of raising family, manual labor, and menial service. They don't celebrate 4 years of clean hallways and bathrooms. They don't give them plaques for 4 years of faithful service. Western graduates don't typically share their wealth with others in the company/organization who helped them become financially successful professionals.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:09 am
Neto wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:01 amIt was a specific ceremony to celebrate a specific type of achievement. A birthday party is for a specific person, who, in actuality, is only one day older. Everyone there meets that criteria, but only one is 'celebrated'. But as to your point about wedding ceremonies - point well taken. Those who are not married are passed over in many other ways as well.
My point is that western society values formal study, and downplays the value of raising family, manual labor, and menial service. They don't celebrate 4 years of clean hallways and bathrooms. They don't give them plaques for 4 years of faithful service. Western graduates don't typically share their wealth with others in the company/organization who helped them become financially successful professionals.
I’m guessing that a graduation ceremony will probably not be a place where one feels like we have a very well-rounded country in terms of what type of occupation/education are valued.

But I do have to say that I think first generation graduates deserve a hand clap. I wish the difficulty of that were more appreciated in conservative anabaptist cultures. It’s hard when you don’t have trusted people you can turn to with questions about what to expect, or do, etc. etc.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I walked through the one of the hallways of a local hospital recently. On the wall were about a dozen photos of hospital workers - maintenance workers, cleaning personnel, cafeteria workers, etc - with a short blurb about each giving their name and a summary of the work they do. I thought it was praiseworthy that someone thought to praise the "lowly" workers.
3 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:21 am
I walked through the one of the hallways of a local hospital recently. On the wall were about a dozen photos of hospital workers - maintenance workers, cleaning personnel, cafeteria workers, etc - with a short blurb about each giving their name and a summary of the work they do. I thought it was praiseworthy that someone thought to praise the "lowly" workers.
Our daughter was in the hospital (with twins, then born premature) for around two months straight. There was a hospital worker that maintained her room who was was one amazing lady. She had 11 children. 1 set of triplets, 2 sets of twins, and then 4 single births. Her oldest was 34 or so, the youngest 5. The oldest lives in Spain, and the day when we met her, the youngest was a patient in another hospital. She worked hard, but she was full of happiness in life. She was celebration worthy.
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.