Alternative Health Issues & Anabaptist Practise

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Alternative Health Issues & Anabaptist Practise

Post by KingdomBuilder »

For me, it seems arrogant and prideful to be so firm in using a term that could act as a stumbling block for unbelievers... The only "meditation" most people know of is the Eastern type discussed above. Sure the word is in the scripture, but that simply doesn't matter to the vast majority. Also, it's not like it's a word exclusively used in the Bible.
One of the beauties of language is synonyms. I think this could be a fine example of when to use them.

Now, I will say that quoting specific verses that say "meditate" would be different.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:For me, it seems arrogant and prideful to be so firm in using a term that could act as a stumbling block for unbelievers... The only "meditation" most people know of is the Eastern type discussed above. Sure the word is in the scripture, but that simply doesn't matter to the vast majority. Also, it's not like it's a word exclusively used in the Bible.
One of the beauties of language is synonyms. I think this could be a fine example of when to use them.

Now, I will say that quoting specific verses that say "meditate" would be different.
It seems we can become equally arrogant and prideful, to avoid that which 'seems' arrogant & prideful. Many of those encouragements by the Psalmist, David, as God called him "a man after My own heart" reveal the beauty of proper meditation. To avoid it lest we be like the eastern (false) religion. is chalking up another one for the enemy having victory over the Church. Once again.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Valerie wrote: I understand this- my point is that we always get this backwards- there are so many things that the Lord God started or encouraged, that the evil one 'counterfeit' in false religions. And then we shy away or quit or substitute instead of using it as an opportunity to bring correction and share with people that this is indeed a True & Living God practice- time and time again satan and his host of fallen angels seems to succeed in this area- I suppose I get weary of his/their success in this area.
Would you agree that it would be appropriate to restrict the use of the term "meditate" to the type of meditation taught in the Bible, and to use alternative language such as "quiet time" or "time alone" to refer to the practice of removing ourselves from the daily pressures of life?
Yes, I would agree to restrict it in this way. I think that when we hear of the 'improper' teaching of meditation, as I have in various ways, like false religions, one leaves their mind 'open' for the enemy of our soul to enter in. I believe the Psalmist conveyed proper meditation on God, His law, His creation, etc-

And of course Apostle Paul taught us what to 'think on'- again 'meditation' is done IN our quiet times, in times alone, away from the clutter of worldliness, distraction- and the evils that surround us. I could see the benefit of properly teaching one as this thread is about:

Philippians 4:

8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

When we understand the TRUE meaning and spirituality of TRUE meditation that God encouraged, then it will be a benefit to a troubled soul.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Valerie wrote:It seems we can become equally arrogant and prideful, to avoid that which 'seems' arrogant & prideful.
I don't understand these kind of looped-round responses. It's not necessary to turn every word someone says back on them.
To avoid it lest we be like the eastern (false) religion. is chalking up another one for the enemy having victory over the Church. Once again.
Not really... I don't see how it's a victory over the Church. If so, the very Bible you read (a translation, and a version of a translation) is a victory of the enemy.
I get what you're saying, but I just don't see that it holds much water.
don't look for a personal insult in this. none intended
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I'm puzzled by the idea the Bible says to meditate, but we shouldn't say what the Bible says.

Muslims pray a lot. That doesn't mean I'm going to avoid saying I pray.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Valerie wrote:It seems we can become equally arrogant and prideful, to avoid that which 'seems' arrogant & prideful.
I don't understand these kind of looped-round responses. It's not necessary to turn every word someone says back on them.
To avoid it lest we be like the eastern (false) religion. is chalking up another one for the enemy having victory over the Church. Once again.
Not really... I don't see how it's a victory over the Church. If so, the very Bible you read (a translation, and a version of a translation) is a victory of the enemy.
I get what you're saying, but I just don't see that it holds much water.
don't look for a personal insult in this. none intended
I apologize if you took it that I was 'turning it back around on you' but I do see this avoidance of being prideful and arrogant, which is good, in sometimes coming across as prideful and arrogant in itself at times, and that is not directed at you- your comment took me back several years ago to an Amish (now Mennonite) friend who lived in a community that SO avoided the appearance of pride, they were seemingly prideful in their attempt to do so. NONE of us are exempt from the enemy of our soul looking for our blindspots or weaknesses for the characteristic of pride, which was his own and his army of fallen angels, major downfall- it is not wonder he looks for opportune ways to cause us to be prideful, even in our avoidance of pride. When I was conveying various teachings in Anabaptism to a sister in the Lord- she said there seems to be pride in not being prideful- this could be another stumbling block. Did not mean to derail the thread to be about pride & arrogance. But your post reveals something I see as a problem at times.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:I'm puzzled by the idea the Bible says to meditate, but we shouldn't say what the Bible says.

Amen to this
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:I'm puzzled by the idea the Bible says to meditate, but we shouldn't say what the Bible says.

Non-believers can readily associate prayer with religions, including Christianity. My point is that if we just say "meditate", it's not much of an indication of religion, and certainly not Christianity. The first association with "meditation" will be Eastern belief and practice.

Unless we specifically identify who and what we are meditating on, I don't think it's a Biblical use of the term.

We should be saying "Meditating on the Lord" or something similar
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I like the idea of using the form "meditating on ..."

I've heard it taught that the Hebrew for "meditate" means something like to murmur or to mutter. The main point may be to be repeating scripture to ourselves.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

The words mindfulness and meditation can each refer to a wide variety of things. Some are good, others are not. Any form of silent prayer is going to have something in common with some forms of mindfulness.

So it's hard to say much based on the word alone. But the third eye thing is concerning.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?