Alternative Health Issues & Anabaptist Practise

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Alternative Health Issues & Anabaptist Practise

Post by Hats Off »

I am looking for your opinion of Mindfulness Therapy as it is used in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder and other mental health problems. Mindfulness therapy has its roots in Eastern practices - does that automatically make it suspicious/unacceptable. Does the source of the practice make it unacceptable or can we learn things from Eastern sources and apply them in Christian principles?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Alternative Health Issues & Anabaptist Practise

Post by Soloist »

At its core, the idea of letting bad things be looked at objectively sounds fine. I would worry more with the meditative stance required of it. That being said... apparently I meditate sometimes when I'm falling asleep (without meaning to) I never knew imagining a rock in my mind and getting bored of it to fall asleep was meditating. :roll:
I'm nervous about mental health in general... we tend to throw pills at things that we poorly understand and do Freudian logic too often for my liking.
Bottom line in my opinion... if you object to something called "Christian yoga" then stay away from it.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

It all seems like humanism to me
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Buddhists also teach against murder and cruelty. That doesn't mean these teachings are wrong.

I think meditation and mindfulness are healthy practices, particularly when combined with a spiritual focus on God instead of just the self or on a false religion. Of course, any such behaviour should be judged by its fruits. Am I getting closer to or farther away from obeying Jesus?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

In the situation I am involved in, the person needs help desperately but still not to the point where I would encourage just anything. Personally, I feel the meditative process, if used cautiously, always mindful of its source, can still be beneficial. The person taking the therapy pointed out to me that they said to "use that third eye on the middle of the forehead" but she spoke up, objecting to that as being not acceptable for a Christian.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I try to avoid saying I "meditate". Instead I say things like "quiet time", "time alone", or something related to peace.
A lot of people associate meditation with very non-Christian things.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I try to avoid saying I "meditate". Instead I say things like "quiet time", "time alone", or something related to peace.
We shouldn't have a problem using the word meditate because it comes from God's Word-Holy Scripture- just like many spiritual aspects & practices that were mandated or directed by God- the enemy likes to counterfeit in other false religions- so I refuse to give the enemy victory in this area-and change- I'd rather 'clarify' than substitute- because you really can't substitute meditate for quiet time & time alone, when you consider the spiritual practice of meditating according to Scripture- it's something you do during your quiet time or time alone, but I don't feel we need to toss the word out really, do we?

Joshua 1:8 - This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Psalms 1:2 - But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Psalms 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Psalms 119:15 - I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.

Psalms 104:34 - My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD.

Psalms 119:97 - MEM. O how love I thy law! it [is] my meditation all the day.

Psalms 49:3 - My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

Psalms 119:127 - Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.

Psalms 119:48 - My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Psalms 119:11 - Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalms 63:6 - When I remember thee upon my bed, [and] meditate on thee in the [night] watches.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:I try to avoid saying I "meditate". Instead I say things like "quiet time", "time alone", or something related to peace.
We shouldn't have a problem using the word meditate because it comes from God's Word-Holy Scripture- just like many spiritual aspects & practices that were mandated or directed by God- the enemy likes to counterfeit in other false religions- so I refuse to give the enemy victory in this area-and change- I'd rather 'clarify' than substitute- because you really can't substitute meditate for quiet time & time alone, when you consider the spiritual practice of meditating according to Scripture- it's something you do during your quiet time or time alone, but I don't feel we need to toss the word out really, do we?

Joshua 1:8 - This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Psalms 1:2 - But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Psalms 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Psalms 119:15 - I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.

Psalms 104:34 - My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD.

Psalms 49:3 - My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

Psalms 119:127 - Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.

Psalms 119:48 - My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Psalms 119:11 - Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalms 63:6 - When I remember thee upon my bed, [and] meditate on thee in the [night] watches.
There seems to be a difference between "meditation" in the context KB is using it above, and the way it is used in scripture. The verses above speak of meditating on the Lord, meditating on His Word, etc. Today meditation is often used as an end in itself, which seems more like what KB is referring to. In that sense, the word does have unchristian connotations that we want to avoid.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Valerie wrote:

There seems to be a difference between "meditation" in the context KB is using it above, and the way it is used in scripture. The verses above speak of meditating on the Lord, meditating on His Word, etc. Today meditation is often used as an end in itself, which seems more like what KB is referring to. In that sense, the word does have unchristian connotations that we want to avoid.
I understand this- my point is that we always get this backwards- there are so many things that the Lord God started or encouraged, that the evil one 'counterfeit' in false religions. And then we shy away or quit or substitute instead of using it as an opportunity to bring correction and share with people that this is indeed a True & Living God practice- time and time again satan and his host of fallen angels seems to succeed in this area- I suppose I get weary of his/their success in this area.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: I understand this- my point is that we always get this backwards- there are so many things that the Lord God started or encouraged, that the evil one 'counterfeit' in false religions. And then we shy away or quit or substitute instead of using it as an opportunity to bring correction and share with people that this is indeed a True & Living God practice- time and time again satan and his host of fallen angels seems to succeed in this area- I suppose I get weary of his/their success in this area.
Would you agree that it would be appropriate to restrict the use of the term "meditate" to the type of meditation taught in the Bible, and to use alternative language such as "quiet time" or "time alone" to refer to the practice of removing ourselves from the daily pressures of life?
0 x