Suing

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Suing

Post by RZehr »

I'm a little confused. :? Lester did I say something previously on this subject on MD? Hats Off, I didn't write anything. :?
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

RZehr wrote:I'm a little confused. :? Lester did I say something previously on this subject on MD? Hats Off, I didn't write anything. :?
No you didn't. But I heard recently of a situation you faced that would fit into this discussion, if you felt like sharing it. If you don't, that's fine.

I guess I should have PM'd you instead of posting...
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

I don't mind sharing my experience. But the reason for this thread is because I may be giving a small talk on this at a Youth Conference. Just wanting to here peoples reasons for their belief.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

RZehr wrote:Why don't you believe in suing people?
One reason that hasn't been mentioned yet is the golden rule. I have very little interest in being a defendant, so I should also avoid being a plaintiff.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

ohio jones wrote:
RZehr wrote:Why don't you believe in suing people?
One reason that hasn't been mentioned yet is the golden rule. I have very little interest in being a defendant, so I should also avoid being a plaintiff.
The golden rule is powerful. Would you also avoid ever applying church discipline for the same reason?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

JimFoxvog wrote: The golden rule is powerful. Would you also avoid ever applying church discipline for the same reason?
I would rather be disciplined and have it shown to me that I was living in sin, likewise if my brother is in sin I would want to hold him to the same standard to love him.
Loving is holding accountable. Not loving is accepting the sin and ignoring it.

I will not sue anyone per Jesus's commandment. Likewise, I will not defend myself against a lawsuit. I'm unsure on my stance in some specific cases in court though involving my children or others entrusted to me.
My preferred stance would always settle out of court if possible... Even in their favor.
That being said, I have not had any opportunity to demonstrate this.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

RZehr wrote:I'm a little confused. :? Lester did I say something previously on this subject on MD? Hats Off, I didn't write anything. :?
Oops :oops: Sorry, it was Ken Sylvania's answer that I liked. It just sounded like something you would have said.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

To take a position against suing is a common position among the plain people. It is rooted in 1 Corinthians 6 and also in non resistance, and the golden rule.
But what about suing the government over a violation of Christian principles? Isn't this completely different?

Here is a story about a Christian lady being rejected because of her refusal to were a rainbow ribbon in support of LGBT.
https://slate.com/culture/2018/07/why-j ... views.html
Would it be wrong for her to sue the government, not for money, but for the right not to wear it?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:To take a position against suing is a common position among the plain people. It is rooted in 1 Corinthians 6 and also in non resistance, and the golden rule.
But what about suing the government over a violation of Christian principles? Isn't this completely different?

Here is a story about a Christian lady being rejected because of her refusal to were a rainbow ribbon in support of LGBT.
Would it be wrong for her to sue the government, not for money, but for the right not to wear it?
Masterpiece Cakeshop comes to mind. Or the right to home-school. Or perhaps suing the government when it illegally separates refugee parents and children without due process.

I'd hate to see the church turn this into a main focus. I do wonder if there isn't a time to sue the government.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote:To take a position against suing is a common position among the plain people. It is rooted in 1 Corinthians 6 and also in non resistance, and the golden rule.

Would she be suing for the right not to wear it, or for the right to play soccer while she is not wearing it?
0 x