Seekers paths

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Seekers paths

Post by lesterb »

God calls some people one way and some another. Sometimes parents should stay home and nurture their children. Some people are called to be a Paul type of evangelist.

But just remember that for ever Paul and Silas there were hundreds of Christians who simply lived for Jesus as they went about their daily lives. I'm not at all convinced that the modern "revivalist" approach is that effective. I don't think we should excuse ourselves from speaking about Jesus to others. But I really think that the solid evidence of our daily life is an important part of the equation.

This was part of the Charity attack on the plain OO groups. You aren't even real Christians because you don't evangelize, etc. Yet the OO groups are still there, still helping their children, still quietly interacting with their neighbors. Charity? It's pretty well disintegrated. So which really are the most effective?

I agree that many OO people are too much the quiet in the land. But, like Hats Off said, many of the more progressive OO's are reaching out. Two girls from his conference were in Mexico with my daughter the other week to help there. My daughter was quite impressed with their quiet efforts to fit in and help.

Just because something doesn't fit our frame of reference doesn't make it wrong. Jesus himself told his disciples not to forbid others just because they were doing something a bit differently.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

The purpose of the OP was not to call into question Old Order practice. It was to ask how NMB converts find CA groups. My story is actually a lot like the "Old Order" way, although abetted by CA online resources that would not be promulgated by OO groups. I'm still interested in hearing what NMB stories are typical (data), or failing that, anecdotes.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Note: My responses are not about the OO because I don't know anything about them.

Now on to the questions in the OP:

One way that encouraged me to seek God was by a Baptist pastor telling me after I said something about being a pretty good person, he said, "Wade, that is not good enough."

Another way was when my wife would go to the Catholic church and I would poke fun at her when she would leave trying to convince her to stay home. That was the one thing that she would never argue or defend about but would rather quietly step out and faithfully go to church.

Very important and interesting to note that neither of these significant times (and there was more) did the people ever directly point me to Christ until I asked for it.

Yet I am neither Baptist or Catholic...
1 Corinthians 3:7-11
So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building.
According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Now to the second part of the question:
We found out that Mennonites existed through homeschooling. It was actually that same Baptist Pastor that first gave us a Rod and Staff book without us realizing it at the time. It was a bit more time of us not being content with the all the other curriculum's we could find that through searching my wife found www.milestonebooks.com. We then realized we had a Mennonite book when we looked again to see we had a Rod and Staff book.
My wife being in contact with ordering through them asked about nearby churches. They said there were none. Except a Holdeman church an hour away that we went to for about 6 months until we had the opportunity to move as we very much wanted to move near and join a fellowship.
0 x