The Intellectual Depth of Anabaptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

The Intellectual Depth of Anabaptism

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Is Anabaptism intellectually palatable? Does it lend itself to critical analysis and critical thought? Have ethnic Anabaptists abandoned the "intellectual depth of Anabaptism" in favor of tradition, authority and rote dogmatism?

"The intellectual depth of Anabaptism", if that's not the exact phrase it captures the essence of something a young "seeker" said in one of those late night round the table discussions at an "Anabaptist Identity" conference some years ago. I don't think it was just because of the particular group of seekers that gathered at that table (Josh was there), I think my young friend had an insight that is seldom appreciated when Anabaptism is so often associated with undereducated farmers using primitive farming methods, or fundamentalist anti-intellectualism.

I was on the telephone chatting with brother Michael Harris (who used to participate on this forum) and he said "In the 16th century I would have been a mountain man, joining the Anabaptist in the Alps of Switzerland". That gave me the thought: In the 16th century I would have joined the Anabaptists at the University of Basil where Conrade Grebel and Felix Manz were "graduate students" of Huldrich Zwingli, exceeding their professor in digging down to the roots of the message and mission of Jesus and challenging the status quo bringing the words of Jesus to the masses in the common tongue instead of the ecclesiastcal language (Latin, not King Jamesian at the time) that hid pearls of great price.

What do you think? Is Anabaptism anti-intellectual or does it indeed have an intellectual depth that should be mined today?
4 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: The Intellectual Depth of Anabaptism

Post by Neto »

Somewhere along the line of history, we lost that. I don't know if it can really be simply attributed to the persecutions that took away most of the deep thinkers, or if it was the grind of survival, and the transition from former priests and tradesmen to farming, but I will say that in my people's history, there was a lot of deep thinking in terms of industry. (I'm speaking of technological development in the colonies in New Russia, and even earlier, in the development of new approaches to windmill design, etc., in the previous settlements in what is now Poland.) It seems that the theological mind became codified and static, as though the pinnacle of understanding had already been reached, and so the focus turned entirely to economic survival & superiority. (And the Mennonites in Russia excelled in manufacturing and technological development.)
It bothers me that in the most conservative groups the attitude toward education is the poorest. (I'll only reference the Dutch Mennonites, and let the Swiss Brethren group do their own soul-searching. Many in the Old Colony Mennonite group are in a terrible state of illiteracy and lack of education, even while excelling in certain types of business. The Kleine Gemeinde took an early step back from critical thought already in the first half of the 19th century. Progressive Mennonite groups within the Dutch Mennonite arena have in large part followed the lead of non-anabaptist thinking, relegating this deep thinking to others outside of our tradition, people who may also have stagnated in thinking - I won't attempt to "judge" them.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Not sure what kind of answer Wayne is looking for but here goes (by no means is this exhaustive, just what I have time for now):

I believe there are different levels of intellect or "deep thinking."

I know people who studied at the various mennonite Bible Schools and are very "book read." They can quote scripture like greased lightning. Unfortunately, they tend to lack life experience yet are quick to tell everyone else how to live their life.

I know people who are not so book read, but have hearts of gold, willing to give a complete stranger the shirt off their own backs, no questions asked. Perhaps they lack discernment? Maybe, but they are very intimate with the teachings of the Bible and Jesus' teachings.

I know people who are critical thinkers. Maybe they "read between the lines" too much, tend to over-think. They're the ones that sit quietly in the corner listening while the Bible School scholars spout off their great knowledge. In all likelihood, they had to put that scripture and Jesus' teachings to practical, real life realistic use.

Be afraid of the quiet ones.
5 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:27 am Not sure what kind of answer Wayne is looking for but here goes (by no means is this exhaustive, just what I have time for now):

I believe there are different levels of intellect or "deep thinking."

I know people who studied at the various mennonite Bible Schools and are very "book read." They can quote scripture like greased lightning. Unfortunately, they tend to lack life experience yet are quick to tell everyone else how to live their life.

I know people who are not so book read, but have hearts of gold, willing to give a complete stranger the shirt off their own backs, no questions asked. Perhaps they lack discernment? Maybe, but they are very intimate with the teachings of the Bible and Jesus' teachings.

I know people who are critical thinkers. Maybe they "read between the lines" too much, tend to over-think. They're the ones that sit quietly in the corner listening while the Bible School scholars spout off their great knowledge. In all likelihood, they had to put that scripture and Jesus' teachings to practical, real life realistic use.

Be afraid of the quiet ones.
I agree with this as an observation applicable to any denomination or group.

It is a delicate balance, this critical/intellectual/book-based approach vis a vis what some call “spiritual living”. Both are needed. Yet both can become an exercise in vanity as well because man is a fallible creature.

The intellectual development of the Core Deposit of the Faith is needed as a rudder to steer us on the right course and to keep the praxis of spiritual compassion from taking us off-course.

The spiritual compassion originates from the spiritual heart. The intellectual from the spiritual head. A balance of “both/and” instead of “either/or”.

All of this to say I have personally found intellectual depth in Anabaptist writings on Scripture. I think we see, what we choose to see.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Mine was an intellectual journey to Anabaptism. Once there, I had experiencial events that validated it.

Fowler's and Westerhoff's Stages of Faith come to mind here. Many will find different routes to the same destination. I actually find Anabaptism rooted in human psychology. The more I dig into the sciences, the more I understand what Jesus was trying to convey and get across to us. One has to hold to old earth ideology and progressionism for this to make sense, though.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

What do you think? Is Anabaptism anti-intellectual or does it indeed have an intellectual depth that should be mined today?
I was not raised Mennonite or any other type of Anabaptist so my view is more of a limited experience as an Anabaptist.

I can see where some groups within Anabaptism shy away from intellectual ways of approaching faith and practise. Scripture texts like in 1 Cor 3 that reads -
Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”; and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come—all are yours. And you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.
Possibly some may use a text like this to support putting little value in the world's wisdom. A 'separation from the world' appears to also include the pursuit of higher worldly education as not a positive thing for your spiritual life.

And the idea, that I read was prevalent in early Anabaptism held that every believer is able to interpret the Scriptures ‘afresh' which meant independent from other teachers and there seemed to be a disdain of education and scholarship and things like the church councils and creeds. Sometimes the Reformers were looked upon by Anabaptists as not being taught by God but rather by other Christians and the books they wrote.

But although there appears to me to be an intent to follow the simple teaching of the NT and especially those of Jesus, doing so has resulted in many church splits over interpretations and/or the practises required by these scriptures. Both Jesus and Paul warned about this disunity.

Personally I don't think pursuing a more intellectual depth would result in becoming more like Jesus. Imo, Anabaptism is most lacking in how to approach being in the world and yet not of the world. Jesus came to seek and to save the lost. When Anabaptists isolate themselves from worldly people, they are not following the way of the Master. Unless this changes, I see Anabaptism remaining a small segment of Christianity with little impact on the world.

Imo, there are some highly intellectual people here on this forum but it is quite surprising to me how involved the conversations are regarding worldly affairs and solutions shared that do not involve Jesus as Lord and Saviour being the answer. The intellectual depth of worldly things is quite profound and puzzling when Anabaptist roots kept quite removed from such interests.

Anyway, that is a few thoughts that likely sound quite negative toward Anabaptism. I live in a community that has many brands of Mennonites and those having the most impact on the local area are the more 'liberal' kind. They are very much into doing good deeds in the community yet are not growing in converts outside their ethnicity. Many of these are also highly educated and quite prosperous and some here would say also quite worldly.

The 'depth' I believe that is missing is not intellectual but spiritual. The transforming of our minds to a belief in the supernatural power of God to make saints out of the worst of sinners and being followers of Jesus as He went about doing this.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Somewhat of an asides, we need to be cautious of those among our ranks that tend to "fake it 'til you make it." In other words, appearing to be assertive/aggressive in sharing their "knowledge", which oft comes out as judgmental, as if they are operating on some "higher plane" than everyone else around them.

In example, being quick to say that something is "unscriptural" when its really just an opinion. Or "he/she is out of God's will." Or my favorite: "hopefully someday he/she will come to the cross."

Unfortunately, the above has mostly been witnessed coming from folks that attend a certain un-named church that begins with a C and ends in Y 8-) Just sayin'.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:57 am Somewhat of an asides, we need to be cautious of those among our ranks that tend to "fake it 'til you make it." In other words, appearing to be assertive/aggressive in sharing their "knowledge", which oft comes out as judgmental, as if they are operating on some "higher plane" than everyone else around them.

In example, being quick to say that something is "unscriptural" when its really just an opinion. Or "he/she is out of God's will." Or my favorite: "hopefully someday he/she will come to the cross."

Unfortunately, the above has mostly been witnessed coming from folks that attend a certain un-named church that begins with a C and ends in Y 8-) Just sayin'.
I would be in the liberal wing of a large extended Menno family that ranges from secular and mainstream protestant (through marriage) all the way to old order Amish (through marriage) and I see this sort of thing all the time. It comes across as very condescending and is usually about lifestyle issues and not issues of faith at all. Decisions like choosing to live in a non-Mennonite area. Choosing to pursue an urban professional career rather than rural farming or construction. Or "allowing" your adult child to attend a public university rather than a conservative Menno bible college. There is a tendency to conflate lifestyle with faith and they are not the same thing at all.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Ken wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:32 pm There is a tendency to conflate lifestyle with faith and they are not the same thing at all.
Said the Protestant Reformers to the Radical Anabaptists.
4 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:39 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:32 pm There is a tendency to conflate lifestyle with faith and they are not the same thing at all.
Said the Protestant Reformers to the Radical Anabaptists.
The original radical Anabaptists from four or five centuries ago ago were not all dairy farmers living in the country and shunning cities. Nor, for that matter were the early Christians from two millennia ago.

I'm not talking about lifestyle in terms of things like dress, wearing coverings, not drinking, etc. I'm talking about more basic stuff like choice of professions, urban vs rural lifestyles, and so forth. I get nearly daily Facebook memes from my more rural cousins about the superiority of rural life, raising kids on the farm, etc. That's what I'm talking about. I don't recall that any of the 12 apostles were farmers. Nor were any prominent early Christians that I can think of either.
4 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr