Highest calling?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Highest calling?

Post by Sudsy »

cmbl wrote:
Sudsy wrote: There must be a dozen or so types of Anabaptists where I live and yet I have not run across any of these out amongst the public evangelizing.
Note that that doesn't mean that none of those groups evangelize.
We have many in our city that wear a unique Mennonite dress but I have never seen this dress style worn by folk of different nationalities so it would appear their evangelizing does not reach other nationalities where we live.
There are other possibilities. What is the ethnic makeup of the city? Their evangelism might reach other nationalities who either do not respond or respond by going to a church that does not practice CA dress.
True. This is just what I am observing here where I live. Perhaps you could share how Anabaptists in your area are reaching out to other nationalities and non-ethnic Mennonites with the Gospel ? Do any go door-to-door, pass out tracts, preach the Gospel in parks and places where sinners habit or things like that ? Basically in our city we have 2 groups that I know do public evangelizing using these or similar methods - one a Baptist church and one a Brethren (Plymouth Brethren) group. Most obvious evangelizing in our city is by Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Sudsy wrote:Perhaps you could share how Anabaptists in your area are reaching out to other nationalities and non-ethnic Mennonites with the Gospel ? Do any go door-to-door, pass out tracts, preach the Gospel in parks and places where sinners habit or things like that ? Basically in our city we have 2 groups that I know do public evangelizing using these or similar methods - one a Baptist church and one a Brethren (Plymouth Brethren) group. Most obvious evangelizing in our city is by Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.
Currently the only conservative Anabaptist in my city that I know is me. I attend a CA church an hour each way away from where I live. 100% of my face-to-face interactions during the week are with non-ethnic Mennonites. I manage to talk about following Jesus with the occasional beggar and by sharing my testimony/spiritual journey with acquaintances who are believers who do things that keep them from having an inheritance in the Kingdom, as I used to. I've also talked with a non-believing roommate who grew up in a Christian home. I think that I have some more things I want to talk with him about, as well as with other friends. For me it's sort of a matter of "I have something to say...am I willing to say it?" Too often I have let the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches enter in...

I doubt that the people with whom I converse would respond to door-to-door, tracts, or preaching in parks, either because they think they are going to Heaven despite how they live, or because they've grown up in "Christian" homes and left it to become atheist, or due to lack of interest. Though I must admit that I've not tried those methods here.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

cmbl wrote: We have many in our city that wear a unique Mennonite dress but I have never seen this dress style worn by folk of different nationalities so it would appear their evangelizing does not reach other nationalities where we live.
There are other possibilities. What is the ethnic makeup of the city? Their evangelism might reach other nationalities who either do not respond or respond by going to a church that does not practice CA dress.[/quote]

Unfortunately, many internationals are only around a short time, they tend to be transient, particularly if they are a student.
While you may reach (and I believe we do) other nationalities, discipling them to the point of church membership seems to take more time than we seem to have with them.

Also you have the language issue...do we try to keep them in our church where everything is in their second language, or do you try to get them into the best church you can find in their heart language? I just sat with a young woman who would really prefer our church, but she all to frequently does not understand what we are saying. I helped her pick a church that is reasonably true to our understanding of christian faith, and speaks her language.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Sounds common for a lot of campus "ministries", sadly.
I think InterVarsity is different that way, fwiw.
My understanding as well. My daughter was in an IV group, and they have a much stronger focus of discipleship.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: