St. Valentine's Day

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:59 am
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby Bootstrap » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:55 pm

MaxPC wrote:OJ: Wiki is an open source where just about anyone can post anything they want. Those who want to know factual and authoritative Catholic Church info go to the legitimate Vatican website. That's where I always send people with questions. :D


Good advice.

Feast of Saint Valentine
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?

User avatar
ohio jones
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:23 pm
Affiliation: CMC

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby ohio jones » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:56 pm

MaxPC wrote:OJ: Wiki is an open source where just about anyone can post anything they want. It's also the worst source for learning about a denomination because of biases or attitudes.

Very true, though "anything they want" might be slightly overstated; there's some degree of moderation. However, it's also a source that a lot of people consult, so when one becomes aware of errors in its content, it's a good idea to correct them (and relatively easy to do so) to reduce the further spread of misinformation.
3 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong

temporal1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm
Affiliation: less than the least

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby temporal1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Joy wrote:
PositiveSeeker wrote:
I am not here to judge. I am just projecting my curiosity. In my eyes, Valentine's Day has become an expectation driven by retail. Everyone has to run out and spend money. In addition, it takes something good and puts the focus on only one day. Do we let the standards ..

:arrow: Retail doesn't have to enter into it.

Even without money, gift coupons can be given, like washing the car or taking over chores, and maybe writing a poem or letter of appreciation. These can be used when we are impoverished, and may be more appreciated than store bought gifts. I've recommended this type gift to prisoners for their parents, etc., to express thankfulness.
true for all occasions, and each of our days.
we can always choose where to put our intent and hearts, even in dire circumstances, which, as you say, can result in the most touching moments of all.

mike just shared another entry from Ken Miller in which he wrote about being separated from his family and was forced to miss (another) of his children's weddings. his body was restrained, his spirit was not contained. the spirit lives.
1 x
formerly Temporal1

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
William Faulkner, Requiem for a Nun

Josh
Posts: 2308
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby Josh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm sitting in a corner laughing to myself, and now trying to explain why the concept of GAMEO being equivalent to the Vatican is so funny to someone else.
2 x

MaxPC
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm
Location: Full time RVers
Affiliation: Catholic
Contact:

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby MaxPC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:20 pm

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:OJ: Wiki is an open source where just about anyone can post anything they want. It's also the worst source for learning about a denomination because of biases or attitudes.

Very true, though "anything they want" might be slightly overstated; there's some degree of moderation. However, it's also a source that a lot of people consult, so when one becomes aware of errors in its content, it's a good idea to correct them (and relatively easy to do so) to reduce the further spread of misinformation.

I appreciate your concern and enthusiasm, OJ. You're a good man.

It's a full time job chasing down all the pettifoggings of misinformation on the internet. If the CDF at the Vatican considers it really important to correct, they will. The Magisterium separates itself from micromanaging secularism and it's voices - God will stand us in good stead and draw those who are called.

After all, if the rubbish propaganda spread by the Pharisees about Jesus when he was on earth were of any import, the NT would have ended differently. :D
1 x
Max (aka Plain Catholic)
Psalm 105

PositiveSeeker
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:26 pm
Affiliation: Non-Denominational

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby PositiveSeeker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:06 pm

In that case you might consider correcting the Wikipedia entry on Saint Valentine. :idea:


In addition, he should consider correcting Catholic Online. http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=159

"Saint Valentine, officially known as Saint Valentine of Rome, is a third-century Roman saint widely celebrated on February 14 and commonly associated with "courtly love."

Although not much of St. Valentine's life is reliably known, and whether or not the stories involve two different saints by the same name is also not officially decided, it is highly agreed that St. Valentine was martyred and then buried on the Via Flaminia to the north of Rome.

In 1969, the Roman Catholic Church removed St. Valentine from the General Roman Calendar, because so little is known about him. However, the church still recognizes him as a saint, listing him in the February 14 spot of Roman Martyrolgy."
0 x

PositiveSeeker
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:26 pm
Affiliation: Non-Denominational

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby PositiveSeeker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:21 pm

We have to decide how much to engage the culture in ways that aren't harmful. Every day of the year has an expectation to be driven by retail, so holidays are no different.


At the risk of rabbit trailing far away from Anabaptist theology and practice, I think the retail world uses a fear campaign to drive the holiday expectations. They indirectly tell us to buy prefabbed junk or go eat at a fancy restaurant on Valentine's day or we'll be sleeping in the dog house. They indirectly tell us that our kids will hate us if we don't buy a lot of stuff for them at Christmastime. However, the kind folks on this board answered the question without realizing it. What I gathered is that the Anabaptists that have responded recognize Valentine's Day in moderation. They either simply want to do something nice for their wife or something fun for their children.
0 x

Robert
Site Janitor
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby Robert » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 pm

Well, I spent the day today treating my wife to a good Valentine's day. Finally about 8 PM this evening, she informed me it was yesterday. :shock:
3 x
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.

MaxPC
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm
Location: Full time RVers
Affiliation: Catholic
Contact:

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby MaxPC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:35 pm

PositiveSeeker wrote:
In addition, he should consider correcting Catholic Online.

Catholic Online is not run by the Catholic Church. It's a private website. Much is in error there. My previous advice and appraisal still stands re the Vatican's stance on Internet misinformation.

If you're really interested in authentic Catholic info only go to the authentic Vatican website. Avoid anything else if you want to know what is actually taught by the Catholic Church.
Robert wrote:Well, I spent the day today treating my wife to a good Valentine's day. Finally about 8 PM this evening, she informed me it was yesterday. :shock:

That's okay, Robert. Better late than never as they say. :mrgreen:
1 x
Max (aka Plain Catholic)
Psalm 105

Bootstrap
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:59 am
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Postby Bootstrap » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Robert wrote:Well, I spent the day today treating my wife to a good Valentine's day. Finally about 8 PM this evening, she informed me it was yesterday. :shock:


Ah, Robert, we have more in common than you might think!
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?


Return to “Anabaptist Theology and Practice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest