Dylann Roof

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Re: Dylann Roof

Post by Signtist »

temporal1 wrote:you also have good reason to question laws which rule one way (example: life in prison) then allow appeals and changes that do put criminals back on the streets (to reoffend.)
The man responsible for my sister-in-law's death is reasonably expected to never walk free again. He is serving 2 life sentences for murder in the first degree, and in a very unusual ruling (unheard of in Canada, according to the lead detective), another life sentence for an armed sexual assault. The first two sentences were handed down after a single trial trying him for two different murders. Then he was tried in a separate trial for the sexual assault. The judge handed the third life sentence because she wants to make sure if he is granted parole on the first two, he would still need to appeal the third sentence. Many times there is not that level of assurance that re-offending will not occur. For this I applaud the judge.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Signtist wrote:For this I applaud the judge.
Me too.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Bootstrap wrote:
Signtist wrote:We don't have a justice system, I don't think there really is such a thing. We have a legal system. And it is flawed.
I'm not sure how any system can create justice after a murder. Real justice would mean restoring the life of the victim. I don't see how killing someone else brings justice to the victim, it just kills another person. And I don't see how forgiveness combines with wanting to kill someone. I can't think of a purer expression of hate than demanding that the person should not be allowed to live.

I do think we need to keep dangerous people off the streets.
Agreed, that's why I said there is no justice system. It is an impossibility. And just to clarify, did you read me to say I demand the murderer be killed?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Signtist wrote:Agreed, that's why I said there is no justice system. It is an impossibility. And just to clarify, did you read me to say I demand the murderer be killed?
No, not at all.

I just don't understand the people who say they forgive the murderer, but demand that he be killed. To me, that's a little like the Godfather scene where the hit man tells the victim "this is business, not personal". There's nothing more personal than killing someone. Nothing says I hate you more clearly than demanding that the person be killed.
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

I would not demand the death penalty be used, at this point I'm not sure I would try stop it either. I don't feel it's my decision either way. I respect others who step in, and those who say they would.

And for those who think I should not be be happy that the murderer is in jail, I usually ask if they'd be OK if he moved in next their daughter? The conversation is usually short lived.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Signtist wrote:I would not demand the death penalty be used, at this point I'm not sure I would try stop it either. I don't feel it's my decision either way. I respect others who step in, and those who say they would.

And for those who think I should not be be happy that the murderer is in jail, I usually ask if they'd be OK if he moved in next their daughter? The conversation is usually short lived.
I certainly wouldn't be OK with that. Protecting people is really important.

Suppose, in some imaginary world, there were a pill that would rehabilitate the murderer, orient him to Christ, and bring him to repentance and good works, with a guarantee of salvation and no chance of backsliding or crime in the future. Suppose the State, in this extremely imaginary world, were to offer this pill as an alternative to the death penalty. Would you be open to that?
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Bootstrap wrote:Suppose, in some imaginary world, there were a pill that would rehabilitate the murderer, orient him to Christ, and bring him to repentance and good works, with a guarantee of salvation and no chance of backsliding or crime in the future. Suppose the State, in this extremely imaginary world, were to offer this pill as an alternative to the death penalty. Would you be open to that?
That turned Calvanistic in a hurry! I imagine that I could hypothetically be OK with that. I would see that as being far preferable to the death penalty for sure.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Signtist wrote:The man responsible for my sister-in-law's death is reasonably expected to never walk free again. He is serving 2 life sentences for murder in the first degree, and in a very unusual ruling (unheard of in Canada, according to the lead detective), another life sentence for an armed sexual assault. The first two sentences were handed down after a single trial trying him for two different murders. Then he was tried in a separate trial for the sexual assault.
This is horrific. So sorry you...or anyone...had to be a part of this. A reminder of what a fallen world we live in - and how evil still holds sway.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

If you believe in Penal Substitutionary Atonement as being necessary for justice (some one had to die)...then it would make sense why killing the murderer would restore justice. This is probably why the Protestants are so gung ho for the death penalty.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

joshuabgood wrote:If you believe in Penal Substitutionary Atonement as being necessary for justice (some one had to die)...then it would make sense why killing the murderer would restore justice. This is probably why the Protestants are so gung ho for the death penalty.
It makes sense, unless you believe that Jesus already paid the penalty....
0 x