When your church is Mennonite and you are not

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

When your church is Mennonite and you are not

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Count me in. Been attending a mennonite church for a few years now. Can't be a member due to my pedigree.... I have since made peace with the fact. I have children who are members, I am not.

Anyone else?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: When your church is Mennonite and you are not

Post by Bootstrap »

steve-in-kville wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist!
I'm waiting for the "When your church is Mennonite and you are too" and "When your church isn't Mennonite and neither are you" threads ... and perhaps a thread called "When you're sure you're a Mennonite but don't really know what a Mennonite is".

(I'll drop out now and hope someone in this position gives you a less silly response than I did, but I couldn't resist either ...)
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
steve-in-kville

Bootstrap wrote:
I'm waiting for the "When your church is Mennonite and you are too"
Be my guest!
0 x

Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I'm waiting for the "When your church is Mennonite and you are too"
Be my guest!
I'm afraid I fall in the "When you're Mennonite and your church isn't" camp, so I've been posting over there.

But I'm curious - do you not consider yourself Mennonite until you are a formal member of your church? What kind of church are you attending? How does your pedigree prevent you from joining?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
steve-in-kville

Short answer: I came from a non-plain background and that bothers some folks in leadership. Our children like it there so we hang around. My wife declined membership to support me.
0 x

RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

steve-in-kville wrote:Short answer: I came from a non-plain background and that bothers some folks in leadership. Our children like it there so we hang around. My wife declined membership to support me.
What kind of church is it? I've never heard of such a thing.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote:Short answer: I came from a non-plain background and that bothers some folks in leadership. Our children like it there so we hang around. My wife declined membership to support me.
Maybe the congregation is the problem. Our 'brackgrounds" are all the same. Sinners.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:I'm afraid I fall in the "When you're Mennonite and your church isn't" camp, so I've been posting over there.
Of the ones mentioned, I feel closest to this camp
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Count me in. Been attending a mennonite church for a few years now. Can't be a member due to my pedigree.... I have since made peace with the fact. I have children who are members, I am not.

Anyone else?
Sorry, I don't get this. My wife and I have no "Pedigree " at all. I was born Roman Catholic and her liberal presbyterian. Could it be any worse than that? We became christians, in our late teens. We were in one of the better evangelical denominations for 30 years, till our church closed.

Almost exactly two years after first visiting the church, we were received into membership in a "moderate conservative" mennonite church. It would have been about nine months after formally requesting membership.

I wish I could figure out what is wrong here. I can't and won't comment, I am sure stuff like this occurs, but not everywhere and to everyone.

Praying that you work this out.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Sorry, I don't get this. My wife and I have no "Pedigree " at all. I was born Roman Catholic and her liberal presbyterian. Could it be any worse than that? We became christians, in our late teens. We were in one of the better evangelical denominations for 30 years, till our church closed.

Almost exactly two years after first visiting the church, we were received into membership in a "moderate conservative" mennonite church. It would have been about nine months after formally requesting membership.
Consider me inspired
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do