When your church is Mennonite and you are not

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: When your church is Mennonite and you are not

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist!

Count me in. Been attending a mennonite church for a few years now. Can't be a member due to my pedigree.... I have since made peace with the fact. I have children who are members, I am not.

Anyone else?
Sorry, I don't get this. My wife and I have no "Pedigree " at all. I was born Roman Catholic and her liberal presbyterian. Could it be any worse than that? We became christians, in our late teens. We were in one of the better evangelical denominations for 30 years, till our church closed.

Almost exactly two years after first visiting the church, we were received into membership in a "moderate conservative" mennonite church. It would have been about nine months after formally requesting membership.

I wish I could figure out what is wrong here. I can't and won't comment, I am sure stuff like this occurs, but not everywhere and to everyone.

Praying that you work this out.

J.M.
Your particular conference and congregation are among the more welcoming of our plain communities. Unfortunately, some congregations and some entire conferences lack such a welcoming attitude, and members who want to essentially turn the church into a closed ethnic group are tolerated.
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Josh wrote:Unfortunately, some congregations and some entire conferences lack such a welcoming attitude, and members who want to essentially turn the church into a closed ethnic group are tolerated.
is that the same as closing the borders to refugees and immigrants?
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

justme wrote:
Josh wrote:Unfortunately, some congregations and some entire conferences lack such a welcoming attitude, and members who want to essentially turn the church into a closed ethnic group are tolerated.
is that the same as closing the borders to refugees and immigrants?
Essentially, yes - which is a sign that a church is starting to view itself more as a nation-state.

Nations should have borders, but the body of Christ certainly should not.
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Josh wrote:Nations should have borders, but the body of Christ certainly should not.
so you see them as two separate things
i haven't decided yet if i do or don't.

carry on w this thread, not my bunny trail.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist!

Count me in. Been attending a mennonite church for a few years now. Can't be a member due to my pedigree.... I have since made peace with the fact. I have children who are members, I am not.

Anyone else?
Sorry, I don't get this. My wife and I have no "Pedigree " at all. I was born Roman Catholic and her liberal presbyterian. Could it be any worse than that? We became christians, in our late teens. We were in one of the better evangelical denominations for 30 years, till our church closed.

Almost exactly two years after first visiting the church, we were received into membership in a "moderate conservative" mennonite church. It would have been about nine months after formally requesting membership.

I wish I could figure out what is wrong here. I can't and won't comment, I am sure stuff like this occurs, but not everywhere and to everyone.

Praying that you work this out.

J.M.
Your particular conference and congregation are among the more welcoming of our plain communities. Unfortunately, some congregations and some entire conferences lack such a welcoming attitude, and members who want to essentially turn the church into a closed ethnic group are tolerated.
Yes, the attitude I have been exposed to is "We are all converts." As a result, there are a fair number of people who did not have Mennonite parents around. Interesting thing is, you do not always know who they are on first meeting. I like it better that way.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: