Old German Baptist Brethren: OC & NC

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sister Su 2
Affiliation: Old Brethren

Re: Old German Baptist Brethren: OC & NC

Post by Sister Su 2 »

Thanks to both of you for replying! I’m still learning how to post, rather than only lurking and reading. I’m still not sure if I’m doing it right, but here goes.

I can’t remember any details about the Bible Brethren, but I think I read something about them many years ago when I was researching Brethren history. I don’t know of any Bible Brethren churches in our area. Probably the Brethren Heritage Center in Brookville Ohio would know about those churches.

I’m going to try to learn more about how this third-party internet filtration works, and the semi-smart cell phones OGBB are using. I’ve had several conversations with others who wished to slow down the constant upgrading of their phone’s abilities. Things are just changing so quickly, and I’m not sure that I actually need such a smart phone. It might just be a bit too convenient for me, but I have always tended to be more comfortable being a bit low tech.

If I remember, tomorrow at our fellowship meal I will ask our bishop if he is Old Order. I think that might be a good question for any of the older members, and all of the brothers in ministry.

Have a peaceful, joyful Sunday! 🙏🏽
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sister Su 2 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:15 am Thanks to both of you for replying! I’m still learning how to post, rather than only lurking and reading. I’m still not sure if I’m doing it right, but here goes.

I can’t remember any details about the Bible Brethren, but I think I read something about them many years ago when I was researching Brethren history. I don’t know of any Bible Brethren churches in our area. Probably the Brethren Heritage Center in Brookville Ohio would know about those churches.
I wish I could find some references in writing instead hearsay. I have a handful of Brethren history books, but the last faction any of them cover is the Dunkard Brethren split. I want to say that the Bible Brethren was a conservative division of the Dunkard groups, but not sure.

The Brethren tend to have way more "splinter" groups than the mennonites for some reason :mrgreen:
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:31 am
Sister Su 2 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:15 amThanks to both of you for replying! I’m still learning how to post, rather than only lurking and reading. I’m still not sure if I’m doing it right, but here goes.

I wish I could find some references in writing instead hearsay. I have a handful of Brethren history books, but the last faction any of them cover is the Dunkard Brethren split. I want to say that the Bible Brethren was a conservative division of the Dunkard groups, but not sure.

The Brethren tend to have way more "splinter" groups than the mennonites for some reason :mrgreen:
Steve, I believe you are correct. They would have come off the Dunkards, not us (OGBBs). I am unaware of any real interaction (outside of family) between the Bible Brethren and GBs, though, except for a few of us random folks who graze in various other corners of the Plain pasture every now and then.
1 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Sister Su 2 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:15 amThanks to both of you for replying! I’m still learning how to post, rather than only lurking and reading. I’m still not sure if I’m doing it right, but here goes.

I’m going to try to learn more about how this third-party internet filtration works, and the semi-smart cell phones OGBB are using. I’ve had several conversations with others who wished to slow down the constant upgrading of their phone’s abilities. Things are just changing so quickly, and I’m not sure that I actually need such a smart phone. It might just be a bit too convenient for me, but I have always tended to be more comfortable being a bit low tech.

If I remember, tomorrow at our fellowship meal I will ask our bishop if he is Old Order. I think that might be a good question for any of the older members, and all of the brothers in ministry.

Have a peaceful, joyful Sunday! 🙏🏽
Sister Su, I have a bit of a random question. If I read correctly, you mentioned being Old Brethren. I grew up in California and am cousin to all the Covers, Wagners, etc. Do you refer to your elders as bishops now? Or is that a Yellow Creek thing, perhaps?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I know there is some inter-marrying among the conservative spectrum of the Brethren/GB circles.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Just as a bump up from a couple years ago, the OGBBC New Conference website has been significantly updated over the last few months, both in terms of content and user-friendliness, if anybody is interested.

www.ogbbc.org
Last edited by ohio jones on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:06 pm Just as a bump up from a couple years ago, the OGBBC New Conference website has been significantly updated over the last few months, both in terms of content and user-friendliness, if anybody is interested.

www.ogbbc.org
Thank you.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:06 pm Just as a bump up from a couple years ago, the OGBBC New Conference website has been significantly updated over the last few months, both in terms of content and user-friendliness, if anybody is interested.

www.ogbbc.org
Much better! When we go out in a few weeks to see our first grandchild, I may give Modesto a visit. It is the nearest conservative church to Santa Cruz,
0 x
:hug:
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:01 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:06 pmJust as a bump up from a couple years ago, the OGBBC New Conference website has been significantly updated over the last few months, both in terms of content and user-friendliness, if anybody is interested.
www.ogbbc.org
Much better! When we go out in a few weeks to see our first grandchild, I may give Modesto a visit. It is the nearest conservative church to Santa Cruz.
Modesto is where I grew up. Wonderful folks. There are two congregations there (Modesto and West Modesto) - if one doesn't have services, the other definitely will. I'd be glad to put you in touch with somebody ahead of time if you would like, just PM me.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:14 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:01 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:06 pmJust as a bump up from a couple years ago, the OGBBC New Conference website has been significantly updated over the last few months, both in terms of content and user-friendliness, if anybody is interested.
www.ogbbc.org
Much better! When we go out in a few weeks to see our first grandchild, I may give Modesto a visit. It is the nearest conservative church to Santa Cruz.
Modesto is where I grew up. Wonderful folks. There are two congregations there (Modesto and West Modesto) - if one doesn't have services, the other definitely will. I'd be glad to put you in touch with somebody ahead of time if you would like, just PM me.
Will do. Any day now, just waiting for the call. I just hope this baby waits till Monday. Official date is April 4. It is our first grandchild.
1 x
:hug: