Old German Baptist Brethren: OC & NC

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Old German Baptist Brethren: OC & NC

Post by MaxPC »

Thought it might help if a thread focused upon OGBBs was created to help others find info readily. Everyone is free to contribute (as long as it does not involve politics).

OC= Old Conference
NC= New Conference

Quotes from another thread:
mike wrote:
JoshScott wrote:
Josh wrote:
Trine immersion and belief in baptismal regeneration will be found in the German Baptist Brethren, who do have a community in Florida. The German Baptists, however, predate Bercot, Kuruvilla, and Taylor, and most of them aren't terribly interested in the "kingdom Christian" movement, as they've already had those practices for hundreds of years.

If you like, myself or Ernie can get you in touch with them in your area.
Good answer Josh. Do keep in mind though that the GBB will require you (stngdwtl) to be baptized by trine immersion before being accepted as a member of their church *regardless* of whether you have been baptized as a believer already, whether by trine immersion or any other way.

Incidentally, this practice may make them possibly the most truly "Anabaptist" (rebaptizer) group of all, going by the literal definition of that term! No disrespect at all, of course, to any GBB out there. Even though I couldn't personally defend that practice, I feel that they are entitled to their tradition there and respect them for it.
From what I understand, new conference GBs have recently relaxed the requirement to rebaptize all new members joining from another denomination.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
AnglerJake
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Old German Baptist Brethren: OC & NC

Post by AnglerJake »

Information can be found here: http://www.ogbbc.org
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

AnglerJake wrote:Information can be found here: http://www.ogbbc.org
Jake, what is the difference between Old Conference and New Conference?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
natashaasbj
Affiliation: Conserv. Anabaptist

Post by natashaasbj »

I am not a Jake ,but I am attending Old German Baptists New Conference... The difference is that Old Conference do not use a Computer even for business, and they are not so keen on Evangelism, that' s why many people came out of it and joined New Conference/
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

natashaasbj wrote:I am not a Jake ,but I am attending Old German Baptists New Conference... The difference is that Old Conference do not use a Computer even for business, and they are not so keen on Evangelism, that' s why many people came out of it and joined New Conference/
It is interesting how the computer and evangelism seem to be hot issues when Old orders begin to split.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

natashaasbj wrote:I am not a Jake ,but I am attending Old German Baptists New Conference... The difference is that Old Conference do not use a Computer even for business, and they are not so keen on Evangelism, that' s why many people came out of it and joined New Conference/
That bit about OGBB Old Conference people not using computers is kind of funny. I happen to know a couple folks from one of the most conservative OGBBOC districts who use computers. There may be a prohibition in the minute book against using bicycles, but there is not one against using computers.
0 x
natashaasbj

Post by natashaasbj »

ken_sylvania wrote:
That bit about OGBB Old Conference people not using computers is kind of funny. I happen to know a couple folks from one of the most conservative OGBBOC districts who use computers. There may be a prohibition in the minute book against using bicycles, but there is not one against using computers.
Well , it may have changed... I talked to our minister. He personally told me, that being a doctor it was hard for him to stay in the OGBB, because they do not use Computers.. they went out quite along time ago, may be they are using some more now... I just know they all still have families right there in OGBB and I am sure they would give you more exact info on the situation as for now in 2020.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

natashaasbj wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Well , it may have changed... I talked to our minister. He personally told me, that being a doctor it was hard for him to stay in the OGBB, because they do not use Computers.. they went out quite along time ago, may be they are using some more now... I just know they all still have families right there in OGBB and I am sure they would give you more exact info on the situation as for now in 2020.
I personally know and work with members of the OGBB(old conference) on a regular basis since more than five years before New Conference started. I know for a fact that they used computers back before the split and have continued using them. I also happen to know that computer use is sufficiently common among the OGBB(old conference) that there is a working group that is at least semi-officially recognized (I think it is actually officially recognized) that oversees a program to provide filtered email, file sharing, and a kind of private internet that is allowable for OGBB members.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ken_sylvania wrote:
natashaasbj wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote: That bit about OGBB Old Conference people not using computers is kind of funny. I happen to know a couple folks from one of the most conservative OGBBOC districts who use computers. There may be a prohibition in the minute book against using bicycles, but there is not one against using computers.
I personally know and work with members of the OGBB(old conference) on a regular basis since more than five years before New Conference started. I know for a fact that they used computers back before the split and have continued using them. I also happen to know that computer use is sufficiently common among the OGBB(old conference) that there is a working group that is at least semi-officially recognized (I think it is actually officially recognized) that oversees a program to provide filtered email, file sharing, and a kind of private internet that is allowable for OGBB members.
It is my understanding that the issue given for the split was internet use, not computers per se. People who wished to remain with the OC were given a fixed period to stop using it. It apparently has not worked.

The actual resolution they had to agree to in order to remain was vaguely worded and I suspect that other issues were involved.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
natashaasbj

Post by natashaasbj »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
natashaasbj wrote: Well , it may have changed... I talked to our minister. He personally told me, that being a doctor it was hard for him to stay in the OGBB, because they do not use Computers.. they went out quite along time ago, may be they are using some more now... I just know they all still have families right there in OGBB and I am sure they would give you more exact info on the situation as for now in 2020.
It is my understanding that the issue given for the split was internet use, not computers per se. People who wished to remain with the OC were given a fixed period to stop using it. It apparently has not worked.

The actual resolution they had to agree to in order to remain was vaguely worded and I suspect that other issues were involved.

J.M.
Yes, this is probably what my minister meant..sorry, for me - a Computer, an Internet is kinda the same animal ;)
0 x