"Chrislam": Anabaptist View

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

"Chrislam": Anabaptist View

Post by MaxPC »

What do you think of the term "Chrislam" and the movement it denotes? Apparently there are some who in their efforts to combine the two religions have adopted this name. One response from a Christian gentleman is this:
"The new term 'Chrislam' is an oxymoron at best; dhimmitude and blasphemy in essence. Jesus in the Qur'an is neither the only-begotten Son of God nor the Messiah who was divinely appointed to restore the House of David. He is rather viewed as a prophet who was appointed by Allah to prepare mankind for the coming of Mohammad."
Thoughts?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: "Chrislam": Anabaptist View

Post by mike »

Never heard of it, and it doesn't sound like something even remotely compatible with the way of Jesus.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote:Never heard of it, and it doesn't sound like something even remotely compatible with the way of Jesus.
Neither had I until a few days ago. :D
Any other thoughts?
Last edited by MaxPC on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Never heard of Chrislam. Doesn't sound credible, but I'd like to know what we're talking about before offering a lot of opinions. References to the people who are using the word, please?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. This term clearly comes from someone whos primary motive is not following Jesus, and is not convinced at all of either religion.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. This term clearly comes from someone whos primary motive is not following Jesus, and is not convinced at all of either religion.
Amen :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. This term clearly comes from someone whos primary motive is not following Jesus, and is not convinced at all of either religion.
I'm not sure that this group exists.

I tried Googling it, and what I see is a bunch of accusations that Glenn Beck or Rick Warren or someone else is practicing "Chrislam". I don't know if these accusations are well founded. Here are some of the sites I found:

http://shoebat.com/2013/06/10/glenn-bec ... -chrislam/

http://exposingchrislam.com/

http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/chrislam ... -the-same/

I'm pretty sure neither Glenn Beck nor Rick Warren would claim they are practicing Chrislam. The gist of these accusations seems to be that they are trying to build peace and understanding with Muslim groups - like MC-USA or Pope Francis.

And there are gems like this:
The Supremacy of the King James Bible

One of the greatest tools of the Chrislam crowd are the modern bible versions which strip Jesus of His deity, takes away the fact that Jesus came to heal the broken hearted, and thousands of verses that speak to your salvation and the saving power of His Blood.

We are proud to stand with and stand on the King James Authorized 1611 Holy Bible as the revealed word of God, as God wrote it, and as God has preserved it.

Read the King James from cover to cover and you will see very clearly why Christianity and Islam could never be mixed. Why there is no 'common ground' between the bible and the Koran, and why the 'Jesus'of the Koran has nothing in common with the Jesus of the holy bible.

Part of truly exposing Chrislam is a return to the King James Bible.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

That is what I suspect also, but would like to hear an explanation and a defense of the term before judging.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

JimFoxvog wrote:
That is what I suspect also, but would like to hear an explanation and a defense of the term before judging.
Rick Warren seems to be one of the main people who is being accused. He does not use the term. His accusers do. He clarifies his position here:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstet ... sions.html
QUESTION: Do people of other religions worship the same God as Christians?

WARREN: Of course not. Christians have a view of God that is unique. We believe Jesus is God! We believe God is a Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Not 3 separate gods but one God. No other faith believes Jesus is God. My God is Jesus. The belief in God as a Trinity is the foundational difference between Christians and everyone else. There are 2.1 billion people who call themselves Christians... whether Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Pentecostal, or Evangelical... and they all have the doctrine of the Trinity in common. Hindus, Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Unitarians, and everyone else do not accept what Jesus taught about the Trinity.
WARREN: Building a bridge has nothing to do with compromising your beliefs. It's all about your behavior and your attitude toward them. It's about genuinely loving people. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. Before people ask "Is Jesus credible?" they want to know if you are credible. Before people trust Jesus they must trust you. You cannot enemies to Christ, only your friends. It's part of what Paul calls "the ministry of reconciliation." It is Christlike to treat people with dignity and listen to them with respect...

QUESTION: What is the PEACE Center?

WARREN: Based on Jesus' instructions in Acts 1:8, we practice the PEACE Plan in three dimensions: PERSONAL PEACE - my ministry to those closest to me; LOCAL PEACE -our congregation's ministry to our community; and GLOBAL PEACE - serving other local churches around the world as those congregations do their own local PEACE. The PEACE Center is the building on our church campus that houses about three dozen of our 300 ministries to the community. It offers our food bank, job training, family counseling, legal aid, car repair, tutoring, English as a second language, legal immigration assistance, and many other ministries.
QUESTION: That same article mentioned that you ate an Iftar dinner with Orange County Muslims. What is that all about?

WARREN: It's called being polite, and a good neighbor. For years, we have invited Muslim friends to attend our Easter and Christmas services, and they have graciously attended year after year. Some have even celebrated our family's personal Christmas service in our home. So when they have a potluck when their month of fasting ends, we go to their party. It's a Jesus thing. The Pharisees criticized him as "the friend of sinners" because Jesus ate dinner with people they disapproved of. By the way, one of my dear friends is a Jewish Rabbi and my family has celebrated Passover at his home, and he attends our Christmas and Easter services. I wish more Christians would reach out in love like Jesus.

QUESTION: Why do you think people who call themselves Christians sometimes say the most hateful things about Muslims?

WARREN: Well, some of those folks probably aren't really Christians. 1 John 4:20 says, "If anyone says, 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen." And 1 John 2:9 says "Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness." I am not allowed by Jesus to hate anyone. Our culture has accepted two huge lies: The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.

QUESTION: Let's talk about evangelism. In the past 10 years, Saddleback Church has baptized over 24,000 new believers. No other church comes close to that record. You are likely the most evangelistic church in America. What's the key?

WARREN: We are willing to do what many other churches are unwilling to do. We are willing to go beyond our comfort zone.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

I really liked this bit:
Rick Warren wrote:Our culture has accepted two huge lies: The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.
0 x