Elmira Ontario Group

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Elmira Ontario Group

Post by MaxPC »

Here's a youtuber about a Mennonite group in Elmira. I don't know if the person creating the vid is himself Anabaptist or if he's an amateur cultural anthropologist.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1QOhsmYvPo
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Elmira Ontario Group

Post by lesterb »

Hmm. Interesting to say the least. I recognize most of the backgrounds and some of the people. My father and my in-laws both live within five miles or so of Elmira. Cleason Martin is my wife's first cousin, though she is probably almost embarrassed to admit it. I could say a lot about him, but it wouldn't be profitable. Suffice it to say that he certainly isn't the best choice of spokesman for the Old Order groups. :-|

Harvey Gingerich I know, but only to see. I've bought more than one suit from Brown.

I guess the video is accurate enough, from an outside perspective. It's not what I see when I go back to Ontario, but that's okay.

What's your take on it Appleman? It's your stomping grounds too. I want to listen to it again.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Two things wrong with that video. It was not taken at the prettiest time of year for this area and I agree Cleason is not the best spokesperson that he could of got. :)
Otherwise though it is not to bad. I also know many of the people pictured on there and I think at about 7:48 of the film you can actually see a bit of our apple plant although the sun is partially blocking it. I spent 35 years of my life attending that farmers market. We gave up our stand the year before it burned down. Based on that I would say the film is about 4 and a half years old already.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

appleman2006 wrote:Two things wrong with that video. It was not taken at the prettiest time of year for this area and I agree Cleason is not the best spokesperson that he could of got. :)
Otherwise though it is not to bad. I also know many of the people pictured on there and I think at about 7:48 of the film you can actually see a bit of our apple plant although the sun is partially blocking it. I spent 35 years of my life attending that farmers market. We gave up our stand the year before it burned down. Based on that I would say the film is about 4 and a half years old already.
Cleason turned 60 in January of 2013 if that helps to date the film.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Different setting, wayyyy better reporting.
http://news.nationalpost.com/features/h ... atal-crash

IMO

edited to add, sorry for some reason the link isn't direct, but if you print 'amish' into the site search, the article is the first of the options.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

silentreader wrote:Different setting, wayyyy better reporting.
http://news.nationalpost.com/features/h ... atal-crash

IMO

edited to add, sorry for some reason the link isn't direct, but if you print 'amish' into the site search, the article is the first of the options.
Thank you SR :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God