Poll: Concealed Weapons among Plain Anabaptists?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

I know that handguns are carried to church by members in "good standing" in these groups -

Total votes: 0

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Poll: Concealed Weapons among Plain Anabaptists?

Post by Ernie »

I understand that some plain Anabaptist groups have members who carry concealed handguns, even to church.

This thread does not apply to people who carry handguns only for purposes related to killing animals.

If you know of plain churches or groups not listed in the poll, you can mention them in this thread.

You can also weigh in on whether a person with a concealed carry license would be able to apply for conscientious objector status in any state or country.

I assume that anyone who carries a concealed weapon to church would use it on people if they felt it was necessary?
Or do some carry for status purposes only?
Are there people who would use a handgun only for firing a warning shot but would not actually use it on a person?
Just trying to think of why Plain people might carry a concealed weapon if they don't plan to use it on people...
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Poll: Concealed Weapons among Plain Anabaptists?

Post by Neto »

I suspect that if the draft was reinstated, a lot of 'plain people' would be in deep water. But my impression has always been that it was the local draft board that decided who would be accepted as CO, and who not. I know that during the Vietnam conflict some guys back home (Oklahoma) who were into hunting as a sport were 'taken' because the draft board thought that if you would kill an animal for entertainment, then you could kill a VC. With the liberal viewpoint about animal rights now-a-days, I would expect that sort of thinking to be even more wide-spread.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Neto wrote:I suspect that if the draft was reinstated, a lot of 'plain people' would be in deep water. But my impression has always been that it was the local draft board that decided who would be accepted as CO, and who not. I know that during the Vietnam conflict some guys back home (Oklahoma) who were into hunting as a sport were 'taken' because the draft board thought that if you would kill an animal for entertainment, then you could kill a VC. With the liberal viewpoint about animal rights now-a-days, I would expect that sort of thinking to be even more wide-spread.

I think one thing to remember is that those who were sent didn't end up in prison for their inconsistencies that I've heard of. Generally speaking, it seems like they worked with the system...
Regardless of how consistent or not you are... Are you willing to pay the cost of being told no?
They won't be looking just at how we use firearms but also our internet posts, social media and how we actually practice our faith. Being granted CO is a favor to us, not a right and we would do well to remember that. If you have inconsistencies and you still stand on conviction... get squared away in prison. It may have eternal ramifications.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I don't know anything about those groups. But some of my Conservative Conference Mennonite Church cousins are pretty armed to the teeth. The kind who have 6 different calibers of rifles and as many different shotguns just because you can't use a duck gun to shoot pheasants, or whatever. Would not surprise me if they were doing concealed carry.

It's all right out in the open. Not the sort of thing conservative mennos sneak around with like drinking.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I don't know anybody from any of those groups that conceals and carries. If I did I would confront them.

Regarding the draft, I can tell you that in every draft, a sizable minority of Anabaptists served.
1 x
Mountain Merle
Affiliation: Redneck Mennonite

Post by Mountain Merle »

joshuabgood wrote:I don't know anybody from any of those groups that conceals and carries. If I did I would confront them.
I'd go a little easy confronting a concealed carry guy! But seriously, if there are Conservative Anabaptists packing heat, I'm appalled.
1 x
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

Mountain Merle wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:I don't know anybody from any of those groups that conceals and carries. If I did I would confront them.
I'd go a little easy confronting a concealed carry guy! But seriously, if there are Conservative Anabaptists packing heat, I'm appalled.
Eh, he should be safe.

PS. It’s not if, it’s how many.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote:I don't know anything about those groups. But some of my Conservative Conference Mennonite Church cousins are pretty armed to the teeth. The kind who have 6 different calibers of rifles and as many different shotguns just because you can't use a duck gun to shoot pheasants, or whatever. Would not surprise me if they were doing concealed carry.

It's all right out in the open. Not the sort of thing conservative mennos sneak around with like drinking.
In the CMC, some members carry guns to church (and are proud of this). This is one of those things that varies widely from congregation to congregation.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

You can also weigh in on whether a person with a concealed carry license would be able to apply for conscientious objector status in any state or country.
Interestingly, I don't think this question has ever been asked of Selective Service.
1 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

As a non US guy I find it completely bonkers that anyone would carry a gun to church, but that there are anabaptists doing it is absolutely beyond me. :?
1 x