Old Order River Brethren

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Old Order River Brethren

Post by Ernie »

This is a thread to become more familiar with the Old Order River Brethren.

Singing in Pennsylvania
The tune of the second song is really unique. (starts about 2:45)

I'm amazed at the number of visitors from other conservative Anabaptist groups.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Old Order River Brethren

Post by MaxPC »

I enjoyed the singing. I'll have to research the OORB some more. I recall that they're a small group.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

That singing is fascinating. The harmonies remind me of Shape Note singing, but this is much slower, yet still rhythmic.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Ernie wrote: I'm amazed at the number of visitors from other conservative Anabaptist groups.
I met a Beachy woman from OORB background recently, who said that if I visited one of their meetings, they'd make me feel at home. Looks like that's true.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

I know those tunes well.

The song book only has the words and meter. The song leader selects the tune (which everyone knows!) for the particular meter. I was never able to tell if, in every case, the same tune is always used for the same song. Of course if you are a visitor who does not know the tune, the songs are slow enough and melodious enough that it's easy to pick up a harmony.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

cmbl wrote:
Ernie wrote: I'm amazed at the number of visitors from other conservative Anabaptist groups.
I met a Beachy woman from OORB background recently, who said that if I visited one of their meetings, they'd make me feel at home. Looks like that's true.
That's absolutely true. You would enjoy good fellowship - maybe for an entire afternoon.
0 x
PlainJane
Affiliation: None Yet

Post by PlainJane »

I can't see the video, but thought I'd recommend a book. It's called "Faith of Our Fathers" by Norma Miller, available from Grace Press & Conestoga Bookstore in Ephrata, PA.

We were at OORB services a few days ago, and spend time with them (sometimes quite a bit) for probably two years now.

They seem like a very solid group, with a lot of open & friendly people. We appreciate a lot about them. If you saw my husband, you might think he was one. :)

They did lose a dear elderly brother very recently, and very suddenly. If the Lord brings them to your mind, please pray for H's wife and family.
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Apparently this is the Sunday morning service of the love feast. I have been to the Saturday evening service but never to the (love feast) Sunday morning.The love feast is a time when a lot of visitors attend from other churches and , believe it or not, other OORB factions. It appears this video is from The Franklin Co (Horst) group as I recognize some of the folks, one being my aunt who passed away several years ago. The Horst group in Franklin Co has a meeting house but still meets in a shed or barn for their lovefeasts.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Does OORB have multiple factions?
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Josh wrote:Does OORB have multiple factions?
Locally the "Horsts" and the "Stricklers". I think there may be another faction either in Lancaster Co or Iowa. Interestingly, although the two local groups divided years ago they still attend each others love feasts and have a joint funeral committee to coordinate funerals. One of the groups is actually a merger of what was formerly 3 factions.
0 x