Old Order River Brethren

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
gprwh
Affiliation:

Re: Old Order River Brethren

Post by gprwh »

Nice singing. We lived next door to an Old German Baptist lady for years. Does anyone know if or how the two groups are related?
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

gprwh wrote:Nice singing. We lived next door to an Old German Baptist lady for years. Does anyone know if or how the two groups are related?
There are others here who are more qualified to answer but it is my understanding that while similar in some ways they are not related. The Old German Baptists have a Pietist Brethern background as I would understand, while the OORB have Mennonite background.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Locally the "Horsts" and the "Stricklers". I think there may be another faction either in Lancaster Co or Iowa. Interestingly, although the two local groups divided years ago they still attend each others love feasts and have a joint funeral committee to coordinate funerals. One of the groups is actually a merger of what was formerly 3 factions.
This is an interesting thread. I didn't know the OORB had different groups.

I found this article on them at Wiki. As an open source, I cannot attest to its accuracy but it seems they've emerged from the German Pietists and the Mennonites.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Ord ... r_Brethren
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Biblical Anabaptist

MaxPC wrote:
Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Locally the "Horsts" and the "Stricklers". I think there may be another faction either in Lancaster Co or Iowa. Interestingly, although the two local groups divided years ago they still attend each others love feasts and have a joint funeral committee to coordinate funerals. One of the groups is actually a merger of what was formerly 3 factions.
This is an interesting thread. I didn't know the OORB had different groups.

I found this article on them at Wiki. As an open source, I cannot attest to its accuracy but it seems they've emerged from the German Pietists and the Mennonites.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Ord ... r_Brethren
I am not an OORB expert but I know a number of them and have read their histories written by their people. I believe the wiki article is fairly accurate
0 x
Paul
Affiliation:

Post by Paul »

Seems like a lovely and dedicated group as far as I can judge from the video, also the fact that converts are welcome is great. I'd love to give them a visit so let me know when they branch out into the Netherlands to head back for their roots in Menno Simons ;).
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist

Paul wrote:Seems like a lovely and dedicated group as far as I can judge from the video, also the fact that converts are welcome is great. I'd love to give them a visit so let me know when they branch out into the Netherlands to head back for their roots in Menno Simons ;).
I was told by one of the "Strickler" members that 15% of their members are from non-plain background.
0 x