Nonresistance

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Nonresistance

Post by Wade »

Aaron wrote:re
I don't know of any other uses for swords than warfare.

What purpose did Jesus Himself say ? (two at least I can think of)

To fulfill prophesy.
To separate.
Do you think when Christ said those things He was calling us to have and use physical swords to do those things?
0 x
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

Wade wrote:

To fulfill prophesy.
To separate.
Do you think when Christ said those things He was calling us to have and use physical swords to do those things?
I can't tell if you're joking ?

He clearly did not. (well, the one or two were physical - to fulfill prophesy, not to harm anyone; He Healed the one who was harmed .... )
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Aaron wrote:
Wade wrote:

To fulfill prophesy.
To separate.

He clearly did not.
You got me that yes, there are other uses but I was referencing physical uses, I just wanted that to be clear and was wondering if that is what you meant
Thanks for referencing scripture.
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wade wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Wade wrote: Do you think when Christ said those things He was calling us to have and use physical swords to do those things?

He clearly did not.
You got me that yes, there are other uses but I was referencing physical uses, I just wanted that to be clear and was wondering if that is what you meant
I might well use a physical sword for cutting wood, kindling, rope, vines, weeds, apples, (it is fun - but children do not do this without adult training and supervision!) ....

Others have used a sword for the exercise called 'Fencing', or for a movie, in a play, 'hollywood', entertainment,
magic acts (not ooh ooh woo.... mystic, although they have done that that's not the magic I'm referring to)
...- several different acts I can think of in magic shows, but think it best not to name them.... (in case of young readers trying something) ......

Swords (real physical ones) have been used for slaying dragons .... :)

There's probably more uses....

p.s. edit in: the most popular use today ? Can anyone guess ? More than ever before , I think.......
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Aaron wrote:
Wade wrote:
Aaron wrote: I can't tell if you're joking ?

He clearly did not.
I might well use a physical sword for cutting wood, kindling, rope, vines, weeds, apples, (it is fun - but children do not do this without adult training and supervision!) ....

Swords (real physical ones) have been used for slaying dragons .... :)

There's probably more uses....

p.s. edit in: the most popular use today ? Can anyone guess ? More than ever before , I think.......
That's what axes, pruning shears and machetes are for unless one only has a sword for some reason and can't get these tools.
My original point was more related to the fact that anything could also be used as a weapon so to ban guns doesn't line up with regonizing the heart is where the problem lies. People can hurt each other with bare hands - and we don't ban people from using their hands
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That's what axes, pruning shears and machetes are for unless one only has a sword for some reason and can't get these tools.
My original point was more related to the fact that anything could also be used as a weapon so to ban guns doesn't line up with regonizing the heart is where the problem lies. People can hurt each other with bare hands - and we don't ban people from using their hands[/quote]

I enjoy using a sword for fun for many of those other activities. It is always for fun, and never to harm anyone at all, ever.

I used guns for fun also. Never to harm anyone , ever.

=======================================================================================================
"Funny" anecdote.... People WERE BANNED from using their hands, in France I think, when Smith Wigglesworth was there.

The Religious Leaders were mad, angry, jealous, envious, at Smith for healing people thru the laying on of hands, and they were embarrassed they themselves could not heal anyone (because of unbelief , of course) . So they stirred up the public officials to outlaw laying on of hands, which they quickly passed a law to do so.

The next time Smith was preaching there, he went on as usual preaching powerfully, from Scripture, always the Truth,
and
then told people 'today we will not lay hands on the person next to you, nor on one another, neither up here or out there where you are - instead, all of you who need healing of any part of your body, lay hands (your own hands) on yourself and pray , ' ...... and without laying hands on someone else, and without someone else laying hands on them, they were all healed ! MUCH TO THE DISMAY of the Religious Leaders watching! .....
0 x