Do most Mennonites consider themselves Protestant?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MennoRoots
Affiliation:

Do most Mennonites consider themselves Protestant?

Post by MennoRoots »

I was under the impression that Mennonites considered themselves Protestant, since the Mennonite Church grew out of the Protestant Reformation, and because my grandfather (raised in a Mennonite but never baptized in any church) considered himself and his family to be Protestant (which was relevant when he married my Catholic grandmother - they found a younger priest that was willing to do their wedding, since older priests refused). I've checked several encyclopedias and dictionaries, and they all say Mennonites are Protestant, and I've checked several Mennonite websites, and some say that Mennonites are Protestant, and some say they are not. Can someone here please clarify?
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Do most Mennonites consider themselves Protestant?

Post by barnhart »

This is a good question. Maybe you should include a poll, that could be interesting.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

In a general sense Mennonites might be considered to be "Protestant", but the Protestants were attempting to reform the (Catholic) church, while the anabaptists stressed coming out of her, in a quest to join the pure church of Christ.

Since my "awakening" as a Mennonite (in my early twenties), I have never considered myself to be "Protestant". I wish I had the article from Christianity Today that (before the above time span, in the very early 70's, as I recall) described what it was to be "an Evangelical", because even in that early stage of my life, it brought me to the recognition that Mennonites are not "Evangelicals" in the usage of that era, at least.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I would say no.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

MennoRoots wrote:I was under the impression that Mennonites considered themselves Protestant, since the Mennonite Church grew out of the Protestant Reformation, and because my grandfather (raised in a Mennonite but never baptized in any church) considered himself and his family to be Protestant (which was relevant when he married my Catholic grandmother - they found a younger priest that was willing to do their wedding, since older priests refused). I've checked several encyclopedias and dictionaries, and they all say Mennonites are Protestant, and I've checked several Mennonite websites, and some say that Mennonites are Protestant, and some say they are not. Can someone here please clarify?
Mennonites that know more of the history and have a vision of the kingdom of God wouldn't see themselves as Protestants.
During the Reformation many Protestants didn't go as far as separating church and state. Without separating church and state Protestants were killing Mennonites - that would make it pretty easy for non-resistant people following Christ to not be excited to identify as Protestants.
There is more but one other important difference is that typically Protestants focus on salvation, while Mennonites center on Christ who preached the gospel of the kingdom of God. This, to me, drastically changed ones perspective on how one interprets scriptures and ones desire of loving faithful obedience in our relationship with Christ.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

This article from Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online (GAMEO) does a very thorough job of explaining the Anabaptist identity in general and the Mennonite identity in particular.
https://www.gameo.org/index.php?title=Anabaptism
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would say most Mennonites don’t really think about the term Protestant too much.

Amongst some Mennonites, “Protestant” is a term they used to mean “a Christian who is not a conservative Mennonite but is not Catholic either”.

Mennonites who are more intellectual, study history, or go to seminary, etc. would use the standard dictionary definition of “Protestant”. If your ancestors were becoming more culturally mainstream, then this usage of the term is likely.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

It depends on the definition.

The label "Protestant" originated from the Diet of Speyer in 1529, where official toleration of the reformation was revoked. The rulers who were sympathetic to Lutheran and Reformed views filed a protest (appeal) against the decision, and became known as Protestants. Neither party in that action had any tolerance at all for the Anabaptist movement, though. In that sense, we are not Protestant.

In current informal usage, "Protestant" can mean any Christian who isn't Catholic or Orthodox. In that sense, we are Protestant.

Generally, Mennonite historians and theologians will refer to a "third way" that distinguishes us from other faith traditions. There is even a book that addresses the issue, Anabaptism: Neither Catholic nor Protestant. Read a short intro here.

But not all Mennonites are historians or theologians, so some might have the modern usage in mind when asked, and agree to accept the label.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

I see Christianity as having three main groups:

Catholic

Protestant

Anabaptist
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote:I would say most Mennonites don’t really think about the term Protestant too much.

Amongst some Mennonites, “Protestant” is a term they used to mean “a Christian who is not a conservative Mennonite but is not Catholic either”.

Mennonites who are more intellectual, study history, or go to seminary, etc. would use the standard dictionary definition of “Protestant”. If your ancestors were becoming more culturally mainstream, then this usage of the term is likely.
The fact that out spiritual ancestors died at the hands of Protestants and Catholics convinced many of us that we must not be part of them (i.e. If they kill you, you're probably not a part of their tribe).
0 x