Nonresistance vs Political Propaganda

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Nonresistance vs Political Propaganda

Post by Ernie »

MaxPC wrote:A question for those who are current practicing members of a Nonresistant Anabaptist Fellowship:

With nonresistance, we are to focus upon, and place our faith in, God's Kingdom instead political parties and governments. What method do you prefer to use when another insists on talking politics?
-Ignore them?
-Change the subject?
-Argue/debate?
-Some combination of the above?
My first effort is to try to explain why I don't take sides in politics and explain the Pilgrim church alternative to getting involved in politics. If they don't want to listen or if they want to argue, I look for the quickest way to politely bow out of the conversation.

Interestingly, what I just described is the non-resistant approach that Anabaptists have commonly responded with the last 500 years when they found themselves thrust into political situations or conflicts that are brought on by the god of this world.
When Jesus was asked to get involved in settling an injustice, Jesus said that he did not come to earth to settle inheritance squabbles, and instead of speaking to the debate or helping justice prevail in this situation, he warned against covetousness.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:
MaxPC wrote:A question for those who are current practicing members of a Nonresistant Anabaptist Fellowship:

With nonresistance, we are to focus upon, and place our faith in, God's Kingdom instead political parties and governments. What method do you prefer to use when another insists on talking politics?
-Ignore them?
-Change the subject?
-Argue/debate?
Boot is nonresistant and Anabaptist. Unless he asked for his Mennonite church to cancel his membership, he's probably still on the rolls.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:

-Ignore them?
-Change the subject?
-Argue/debate?
Boot is nonresistant and Anabaptist. Unless he asked for his Mennonite church to cancel his membership, he's probably still on the rolls.

That's a good point. I'm sure then that I'm still on the Roman church's rolls, so I'm going to post as a Plain Catholic too!
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Unless something has changed, Robert doesn't want us starting threads that exclude people from the conversation, and doesn't want people to start parallel threads, which annoyed some people on MennoDiscuss. If the protocol has changed, let me know. Until I hear from Robert, I'll continue to follow the protocol he prescribed.
Ernie wrote:I commend you for your integrity as none of the posters in the other thread (so far) meet the qualifications. It really is just as simple as starting another thread that may end up becoming the main thread.
But that's precisely what Robert had said we should not do. I think we need the protocol to be clear here, one way or another.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote:Unless something has changed, Robert doesn't want us starting threads that exclude people from the conversation, and doesn't want people to start parallel threads, which annoyed some people on MennoDiscuss. If the protocol has changed, let me know. Until I hear from Robert, I'll continue to follow the protocol he prescribed.
Ernie wrote:I commend you for your integrity as none of the posters in the other thread (so far) meet the qualifications. It really is just as simple as starting another thread that may end up becoming the main thread.
But that's precisely what Robert had said we should not do. I think we need the protocol to be clear here, one way or another.
If this is the protocol, on Mennonet.com, I would be glad for someone to point me to it.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Here's what I do and it is somewhat "different".

I always steer the conversation to abortion. The reason I do this is because it is a hot button political topic (why it is - is beyond me). Anyway, people end up passionate... Most likely they'll be against abortion if they are going to your church.

So a response is usually "Yeah Trump signed that thing that stopped funding abortion propaganda in ______ countries". Or "governor Joe Blahblah is totally against abortion".

Now insert opinion, "if we could bring people to the love of Jesus Christ, all abortions would stop tomorrow - I feel it is so important to bring people to Christ." "Jesus is the answer".

Or if the subject is war/Isis/terror/whatever

Insert opinion "If we could just bring Isis/US government/warring Eskimos to the love of Jesus Christ, all wars would cease." "Jesus is the answer".

It is so important that people realize that REAL solution are found in Christianity, not through the barrel of a gun and force of law. We won't stop abortions even if they were illegal. If they were illegal, we'd have men with guns pointing at young ladies to not kill their child (all laws are in the end enforced with a gun).

As Christians we can't show the love of Jesus at a gunpoint. No laws, no wars, or anything will work.... It is far better to focus our time on our REAL fight that the bible describes where our sword is the word... Bring that young lady to Jesus, bring 10 young ladies, bring all ladies to Jesus, and there won't be abortions.

Bring all people to Jesus, and we won't even need a government. It would be awesome. :)
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

-Ignore them?
-Change the subject?
-Argue/debate?
Depends on my relationship with them. I may use all the points listed in different scenarios.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ernie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Unless something has changed, Robert doesn't want us starting threads that exclude people from the conversation, and doesn't want people to start parallel threads, which annoyed some people on MennoDiscuss. If the protocol has changed, let me know. Until I hear from Robert, I'll continue to follow the protocol he prescribed.
If this is the protocol, on Mennonet.com, I would be glad for someone to point me to it.
Protocol got wiped out with the big crash.

I have no issue with someone targeting a group for response. The original post (OP) can ask for a set group, not individuals) to be included or excluded for a time, but I will not move any ones post who chooses to post in that thread unless the mods agree and we set it up that way from the very start.

We are all adults, so if someone asks for a targeted group, I can not understand why the rest could not be patient with that request. If that request seems out of line, feel free to contact one of the mods to evaluate.

I personally loved the parallel thread. I considered blending the two together later, but it can get messy if this happens all the time. I would request that this is the exception, not the rule. Saying in a thread you would like to hear from a set group is fine. I would request that there is no command that others can not post at all. Delaying their posting through request is fine and the rest of us should be respectful enough to do that. The OP needs to be willing to take responsibility and babysit their thread then and after a few days, open it for others. Do not think you can spout orders and expect someone else to do the work. We are here to serve each other, not become lords over each other.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Thanks. I suggest this be included in a sticky thread somewhere so that we can refer to it.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote:Thanks. I suggest this be included in a sticky thread somewhere so that we can refer to it.
I agree, that would be very helpful.

Obviously, I will follow this policy. Thanks for writing it up, Robert!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?