Nonresistance vs Political Propaganda

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Nonresistance vs Political Propaganda

Post by MaxPC »

A question for those who are current practicing members of a Nonresistant Anabaptist Fellowship:

With nonresistance, we are to focus upon, and place our faith in, God's Kingdom instead political parties and governments. What method do you prefer to use when another insists on talking politics?
-Ignore them?
-Change the subject?
-Argue/debate?
-Some combination of the above?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Nonresistance vs Political Propaganda

Post by Bootstrap »

I think some of the most important questions for us are questions like these:
  • Where is our identity? How can we tell if we are giving our identity and loyalty to politicians instead of the Kingdom?
  • When questions of fact are being discussed, how can we find the root facts? How can we distinguish political propaganda from fact?
  • What is our role in these issues? Given the fact that our Kingdom is not primarily about voting or joining political parties and causes, what exactly is our role?
So I like to keep asking what our role is as Kingdom questions. I also like to point out obvious discrepancies between facts and propaganda. I also like to avoid starting political discussions, but I do respond to existing ones, sometimes pulling subtopics out into threads of their own.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote:A question for those who are current practicing members of a Nonresistant Anabaptist Fellowship:

With nonresistance, we are to focus upon, and place our faith in, God's Kingdom instead political parties and governments. What method do you prefer to use when another insists on talking politics?
-Ignore them?
-Change the subject?
-Argue/debate?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Bootstrap wrote:I think some of the most important questions for us are questions like these:
  • Where is our identity? How can we tell if we are giving our identity and loyalty to politicians instead of the Kingdom?
  • When questions of fact are being discussed, how can we find the root facts? How can we distinguish political propaganda from fact?
  • What is our role in these issues? Given the fact that our Kingdom is not primarily about voting or joining political parties and causes, what exactly is our role?
So I like to keep asking what our role is as Kingdom questions. I also like to point out obvious discrepancies between facts and propaganda. I also like to avoid starting political discussions, but I do respond to existing ones, sometimes pulling subtopics out into threads of their own.
I think my response is similar to yours. I try to bring in the primacy of faith in God and that our primary obedience is to God. I sometimes bring in how civil disobedience has a long history among God's people.

So this fits in with changing the subject, but not completely. It's more changing the focus of the subject.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

JimFoxvog wrote:I try to bring in the primacy of faith in God and that our primary obedience is to God. I sometimes bring in how civil disobedience has a long history among God's people.

So this fits in with changing the subject, but not completely. It's more changing the focus of the subject.
Do you insert Biblical principles and discussion?

When the person(s) insist and perseverate in dominating the conversation with politics, at what point do you walk away?

IMO "Civil disobedience" is a political term that I'm not comfortable with as it has become a associated with protests that turn violent. I genuinely feel that non-resistance is a much more neutral term for those who choose to separate themselves from worldly politics.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:A question for those who are current practicing members of a Nonresistant Anabaptist Fellowship:
So Catholics are not allowed? Why do you play this game, Max? If you don't want to discuss with the people on this board, find another board.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Do you insert Biblical principles and discussion?

When the person(s) insist and perseverate in dominating the conversation with politics, at what point do you walk away?
In a political thread, you mean? I assume you are talking about this exchange. I really don't read that exchange the way you do. You seem to get upset when someone disagrees with your political opinions and offers facts that contradict opinions you have stated. On a discussion board, I really think that's something to expect.

If there's need to discuss the original exchange, let's discuss it directly, please.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

-Ignore them?
-Change the subject?
-Argue/debate?
I'm in a nonresistant fellowship. One of my close friends became Catholic and is quite anti-Trump. I try to steer the conversation to some area where he and I have common ground whenever he wants to talk about how bad the latest thing Trump did is.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
So Catholics are not allowed? Why do you play this game, Max? If you don't want to discuss with the people on this board, find another board.
He is trying to find out HOW people that are current practicing members of Nonresistant Anabaptist Fellowships handle it whenever they are with someone who insists on talking politics-

He's trying to learn how 'they' handle it, he already knows how the rest of society generally handles it, including Catholics and people of other denominations-
It's one of those characteristics generally found rare in these times- the way conservative Anabaptists handle just about everything- so I think he's trying to learn something here that would be contrary to the rest of society-
makes sense to me to narrow it to these people to learn what he's asking- no offense by me taken to be excluded.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote: He is trying to find out HOW people that are current practicing members of Nonresistant An handle it whenever they are with someone who insists on talking politics-

He's trying to learn how 'they' handle it, he already knows how the rest of society generally handles it, including Catholics and people of other denominations-
It's one of those characteristics generally found rare in these times- the way conservative Anabaptists handle just about everything- so I think he's trying to learn something here that would be contrary to the rest of society-
makes sense to me to narrow it to these people to learn what he's asking- no offense by me taken to be excluded.
Thank you, Valerie: you've got it in one :hug:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)