Nonresistance vs Political Propaganda

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Nonresistance vs Political Propaganda

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote:
MaxPC wrote:A question for those who are current practicing members of a Nonresistant Anabaptist Fellowship:

With nonresistance, we are to focus upon, and place our faith in, God's Kingdom instead political parties and governments. What method do you prefer to use when another insists on talking politics?
-Ignore them?
-Change the subject?
-Argue/debate?
-Some combination of the above?
My first effort is to try to explain why I don't take sides in politics and explain the Pilgrim church alternative to getting involved in politics. If they don't want to listen or if they want to argue, I look for the quickest way to politely bow out of the conversation.

Interestingly, what I just described is the non-resistant approach that Anabaptists have commonly responded with the last 500 years when they found themselves thrust into political situations or conflicts that are brought on by the god of this world.
When Jesus was asked to get involved in settling an injustice, Jesus said that he did not come to earth to settle inheritance squabbles, and instead of speaking to the debate or helping justice prevail in this situation, he warned against covetousness.
:up:
Wayne in Maine wrote: That's a good point. I'm sure then that I'm still on the Roman church's rolls, so I'm going to post as a Plain Catholic too!
Good one, Wayne. :rofl:

The long term camper I mentioned in the Campground Ramblings thread has been escalating every conversation into political and personal bashes with the other campers, even to the point of temper tantrums.

Thank you RZehr, Chris and all. It's good to have the helpful support of others who believe in non-resistance. I appreciate you!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God