Beards - Given Unto Man

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Talitha
Affiliation: Beachy

Re: Beards - Given Unto Man

Post by Talitha »

I've been in churches that required beards on dudes, and ones that didn't, I never really considered it to be a biblical requirement or prohibition, more cultural, so I can't add much to that side.
But to the cultural side, as one who's worked in customer service for a few years (where you see every stripe of male and female and some you don't know which), I have to admit it was nice when I saw full whiskers to know I was pretty safe to call them a sir. :laugh
Also, I gotta say I like the looks of a well kept beard on a fellow ;)

I shall now be quiet :shock:
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Talitha wrote:I've been in churches that required beards on dudes, and ones that didn't, I never really considered it to be a biblical requirement or prohibition, more cultural, so I can't add much to that side.
But to the cultural side, as one who's worked in customer service for a few years (where you see every stripe of male and female and some you don't know which), I have to admit it was nice when I saw full whiskers to know I was pretty safe to call them a sir. :laugh
I had not considered that: we don't see cross-dressers in campgrounds. Lesbian campers with guns, yes, but no cross-dressers.

I wonder if the teaching in Deuteronomy 22:5 would lead Christians, who are living in a sexually confused and liberal area, to embrace those attributes that emphasize separation of the genders? Example: men's beards and women's dresses with long hair.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:
Talitha wrote:I've been in churches that required beards on dudes, and ones that didn't, I never really considered it to be a biblical requirement or prohibition, more cultural, so I can't add much to that side.
I had not considered that: we don't see cross-dressers in campgrounds. Lesbian campers with guns, yes, but no cross-dressers.

I wonder if the teaching in Deuteronomy 22:5 would lead Christians, who are living in a sexually confused and liberal area, to embrace those attributes that emphasize separation of the genders? Example: men's beards and women's dresses with long hair.
That's the proof text Apostolic Pentecostals like to use, although they do not require the beard and used to mandate no beards.
0 x
Gene
Affiliation: CMC

Post by Gene »

Having given facial hair full right of self expression in all the enthusiasm my follicles could muster, in much younger times and for reasons utterly devoid of religious content, I have concluded this phenomenon likely arose as a result of the fall from grace recorded as causing a banishment from the presence of the Almighty shortly after creation. How else does one explain the infernal itch? It is inconceivable a merciful Deity intended such a thing in a perfect world. I could never be Amish.
0 x
queserasera_2
Affiliation:

Post by queserasera_2 »

Amen, Gene! Beards are yucky. Sorry, heir. ;)
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

So what about ethnic groups/ individuals who physically cannot grow a beard?

If this is such a universal principle of distinction, why are there groups to whom this couldn't apply?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:So what about ethnic groups/ individuals who physically cannot grow a beard?

If this is such a universal principle of distinction, why are there groups to whom this couldn't apply?
They need to intermarry with Swiss people.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:So what about ethnic groups/ individuals who physically cannot grow a beard?

They need to intermarry with Swiss people.
Silly me- of course! That's in Deuteronomy, right? 8-)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

I'm curious how a church group who require beards for men would treat a man who wishes to join their church but he is unable to grow a beard. Sometimes called the "perpetual baby-faced syndrome". Would they still be accepted into the fellowship?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote:I'm curious how a church group who require beards for men would treat a man who wishes to join their church but he is unable to grow a beard. Sometimes called the "perpetual baby-faced syndrome". Would they still be accepted into the fellowship?
It would probably be acceptable to outsource the growing, as in this solution.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited