Charity Ministries and assorted other topics

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: Charity Ministries

Post by Wayne in Maine »

quietpilgrim wrote:Perhaps what I am about to state is an over-simplification of a multi-faceted problem, but the Charity movement simply became a meeting point on the journey of individuals who were traveling two different directions.
We were surrounded by the Charity phenomena when we first entered into plain church circles. Many friends and fellow seekers got caught up in one way or another with Charity. We attended a few meetings at Ephrata and with some affiliated groups when we lived in Lancaster County and this too is what we observed - Charity was (accidentally) a crossroad for people leaving Old Orders and people drawn to a more Old Order spirituality. I can honestly say I'm glad, for our children's sake, we avoided Charity.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

quietpilgrim wrote:
Most of us have heard stories of Old Order and Conservative folks who at one time aligned themselves with the Charity movement and now attend evangelical churches or even no church at all. Perhaps less talked about are those whose first taste of the Anabaptist movement was through Charity and are now find themselves in Conservative or Old Order groups.

Perhaps what I am about to state is an over-simplification of a multi-faceted problem, but the Charity movement simply became a meeting point on the journey of individuals who were traveling two different directions.

QP
I like this. The image I have is of the test lenses in the eye doctor's in which each one is tried to see which provides the clearest vision. Charity provided a lens test for the individuals to find God's vision for their lives.

Sorry: my metaphors can be obtuse but they help me understand some things. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Post by betterpromises2 »

I was exposed to Charity Christian Fellowship in about 1996 by way of someone there who moved to PA from the state where I live. I'm probably glad looking back we didn't move and join the church- for several reasons.

However, the sermon ministry had a powerful and beneficial effect on my spiritual growth, and for my wife as well. It was my first exposure to what I think they called "heart Christianity" and the importance of biblical obedience. These things were not discussed (or even understood?) in evangelical churches in our area, and largely still aren't understood.

The Lord used it to make a huge impact on me, and I am a much more of a Christian because of the teaching I received that taught me the importance of these things. Sure, there were things I didn't agree with, and I had mixed reactions to some of the people I met- some were welcoming, and some were almost suspicious in the way they would pepper me with questions.

But I had sensed there was a deeper Christian walk and life than what I had previously known, and the good things about Charity helped me along that road, and on to other things, as well. So I am very appreciative about how the Lord used that ministry despite its flaws to challenge me and help me grow.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

The experience had some of the same impact on us Betterpromises2. Single-minded obedience to Christ was stressed in a powerful way.

Quietpilgrim - I think your analysis concerning plain folks moving toward evangelicalism and non-plain folks moving toward Anabaptism was right on. We were part of that second group, and we found the interaction with the spiritually seeking plain folks that we met quite stimulating - and I think they felt the same as they interacted with radical seekers from outside of the ethnic Anabaptist fold.

Even though we may have eventually been heading in opposite directions, there was a real synergy during that time of interaction. Both plain and non-plain background folks were blessed and challenged as a result.
0 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

I am familiar with with the Ohio branches of the Charity movement. This thread definitely has my interest.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ABC 123 wrote:I am familiar with with the Ohio branches of the Charity movement. This thread definitely has my interest.
Perhaps you could help me prepare a directory of them? I am familiar with three congregations in the Salem / Lisbon (Columbiana County) area and with one in Holmes County.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Dan Z wrote:The experience had some of the same impact on us Betterpromises2. Single-minded obedience to Christ was stressed in a powerful way.

Quietpilgrim - I think your analysis concerning plain folks moving toward evangelicalism and non-plain folks moving toward Anabaptism was right on. We were part of that second group, and we found the interaction with the spiritually seeking plain folks that we met quite stimulating - and I think they felt the same as they interacted with radical seekers from outside of the ethnic Anabaptist fold.

Even though we may have eventually been heading in opposite directions, there was a real synergy during that time of interaction. Both plain and non-plain background folks were blessed and challenged as a result.
I think every church would benefit from that type of synergy. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote:Even though we may have eventually been heading in opposite directions, there was a real synergy during that time of interaction. Both plain and non-plain background folks were blessed and challenged as a result.
One of the difficulties is for children who grow up in that kind of environment. By the time they are grown up, the church community they grew up is gone, and they can be very confused about what the "right" way to go is, as the authority figures often are going in a different way.
0 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Josh wrote: Perhaps you could help me prepare a directory of them? I am familiar with three congregations in the Salem / Lisbon (Columbiana County) area and with one in Holmes County.
Was. As in past tense for most of them. Faith and Shining Light have the most similarity to the original Charity churches. All the rest are completely removed or nearly. There aren't really churches to put in a current directory.

Mose and Denny would come to Holmes Co in the early 90s to help get Faith Christian Fellowship up and running. Years later Faith is still a congregation as is their sister church Shining Light, which is only a few years old.

As I understand Shining Light is in charge of the Remnant magazine (if it's still called that) instead of Ephrata.

Remnant Christian Fellowship has always been a small congregation with many people in and out. They have met many different places. Faith used to help them in the beginning, but I don't know if they still have anything to do with each other. They are in Knox Co as far as I know.

From Faith was born Calvary Christian Fellowship which was in Wayne Co from 1996 to sometime in early 2000s when it pretty much imploded. Some from there went on to start Emmanuel which is near Wooster. I don't think they consider themselves a "Charity" sort of church. There is a very loose connection between people from there and Faith/Shining Light.

There is a very small congregation that continues with the Calvary name near Orrville. No connection to Charity anymore.

Calvary started a plant, Berea Christian Fellowship in Columbiana. That was in 2000? Not sure. I didn't follow all the branches there, but they wrestled through things and I think there are several churches off of there.

River of Life is the branch of Berea that came back to Holmes Co. They are near Shreve.

Faith was involved with some church plant activity in SW OH at one point.

There was Cambridge Christian Fellowship as well. They and Calvary and Faith would get together for tent meetings at one time during the early 90s. Cambridge pretty much imploded some years later.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Does anyone know anything about the congregation in Vienna, Ontario? Or Hesson, Ontario?

I seriously considered the group in Stoney Lake AB at one point. But they are gone now, so it's good we didn't take that route. The group in Cleardale AB seems to be fairly solid and has been there quite a while. As has David Robertson's group in Manitoba.

But a lot of water has gone under the bridge in the western Charity movement. The ones who survived have learned some lessons, it seems. The last time I talked with David Robertson, we talked about how our groups should get together and learn from each other's strengths. He actually talked about having a Nationwide bishop he knew come to their congregation for meetings. That never happened, I'm sure. It would have created a tidal wave that everyone in the west would have heard about!
0 x