Charity Ministries and assorted other topics

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Charity Ministries

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote:
Josh wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Actually, Pentecostal groups have an Anabaptist connection. Most of them derive from the Otterbien/Boehm moments of the early 1800s. Martin Boehm was a Mennonite bishop who was disfellowshipped for being too evangelical. He was one of the leading lights of the holiness movement within methodism that became pentecostalism after the Azuza street "breakout" of tongues.

The group that became the Brethren in Christ/Old Order River Brethren were heavily influenced by Boehm, but did not organizationally unite with him.

Mennonite and Pentecostal/Holiness theology are both non reformed, and place an emphasis on sanctification as a work separate from salvation. Both emphasize the free agency of mankind, as well as the grace of Jesus Christ given to those who believe.

The majority of christianity these days is reformed, and has a very different take on these foundational doctrines.

J.M.
J.M.,

I did not realise that. I always noticed there was a certain kind of similarity between Pentecostal Holiness groups and Anabaptists (particularly a similarity that doesn't exist in the few and rare non-Pentecostal Holiness groups that still exist; I happen to live in area where we still have some).
The theology might be similar. I'm not really sure about that. But the practice is sure different. I lived next door to a Pentecostal church in Guatemala and not far from one in Texas. The amount of hollering and speaking in tongues and people rolling on the floor is not something I've ever seen in any mainstream Anabaptist church. Maybe those weren't mainstream Pentecostal churches. I don't know. I'm not really familiar with them beyond that.
Their practice runs the entire spectrum from ones indistinguishable from my former C&MA church, to beyond wild. Most of my friends overseas were from the former. I get the impression, that at least among the Assemblies of God mission force the less outrageous ones are by far the majority.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Moses
Affiliation: Jewish

Post by Moses »

Valerie wrote:
Josh wrote:
Valerie wrote: Wondering if the church Wayne Weaver started decades ago, called Oasis Tabernacle (formerly Crossroads) would be this type of Church. Anyone from Holmes County or surrounding area know? Anabaptist roots, lots of former Amish & Mennos, more Pentecostal, certain encouragement of holiness- we've visited a few times(upon recommendation of a Beachy friend thinking we'd fit there perhaps
This church is doing really odd things like trying to rebuild the temple using imported building materials from Israel.

It has nothing left Anabaptist (or Holiness Pentecostal) about it. (I get frequent updates since my barber’s son married a girl who goes there.)
When you say temple, you mean rebuilding their church? We stopped by seeing the co striction going on & asked- exactly what building .steti is from Israel? I don't think their theology believes the game is to be rebut in Sugarcreek Oh- we haven't been there since last Fall. The instructions from God for the building of the tabernacle was to be after the pattern of heavenly worship, when you are in an Orthodox Church, that theme is carried out as well. You make me curious as to Pastor Weavers intention
Probably the Steti game rebut is to be in the Czechia area. Did God give any instructions since the Fall on how it is to be played, or any other co strictions regarding it?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I think there were some instructions in the Spring, but they've been removed due to dishonest targeting by news media.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

What are you guys talking about?

Czechia?
Seti game rebut?
Instructions from God?
co-strictions?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie might have left the Pentecostals, but she hasn't given up speaking in tongues. :P
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:…. and some are just a poor fit for what KMF has to offer.
J.M.

That's about right. I had the wrong pedigree. They didn't take kindly to non-Mennonite backgrounds.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
aussieandy
Affiliation: Nationwide (Seeker)

Post by aussieandy »

I have experienced the negative as a non-member.
Doesn't mean forgiveness can't happen.
Neither does it mean that Nationwide churches are not autonomous and can each have some big differences.
This is indeed true Brother! The autonomous aspect of Nationwide means each group will vary widely in some of its practices, even if we all hold the same over arching radical Non-conformity and platform. :up:
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

aussieandy wrote:
Neither does it mean that Nationwide churches are not autonomous and can each have some big differences.
This is indeed true Brother! The autonomous aspect of Nationwide means each group will vary widely in some of its practices, even if we all hold the same over arching radical Non-conformity and platform. :up:
Or in a mission, it depends quite a bit on which congregation(s) sent out the people in the mission. In Australia, the Tasmanian mission was composed of people from Canada, and the NSW missions with people primarily from Spring Valley. This showed up in differences in how they approach (for example) taxation. The Canadian-background people were more comfortable with accepting Part and Part B. The Spring Valley people viewed it as "welfare". Same goes for their approach to Australian Medicare. (In Australia, you have to pay for Medicare if you don't buy a private insurance plan, and there aren't exceptions for church mutual aid plans like there are in America and Canada.)
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

steve-in-kville wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:…. and some are just a poor fit for what KMF has to offer.
J.M.

That's about right. I had the wrong pedigree. They didn't take kindly to non-Mennonite backgrounds.
Well, I have no pedigree at all. None. Neither the 7 or 8 other NMBs I know in KMF. 4 different churches. One of them is ordained. Plenty of NMBs around that have no problem at all.

My guess is you should have tried a different KMF church, or you were just a bad fit for KMF as a whole. I won't even speculate as to which one it was.

J.M.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Josh wrote:
aussieandy wrote:
Or in a mission, it depends quite a bit on which congregation(s) sent out the people in the mission. In Australia, the Tasmanian mission was composed of people from Canada, and the NSW missions with people primarily from Spring Valley. This showed up in differences in how they approach (for example) taxation. The Canadian-background people were more comfortable with accepting Part and Part B. The Spring Valley people viewed it as "welfare". Same goes for their approach to Australian Medicare. (In Australia, you have to pay for Medicare if you don't buy a private insurance plan, and there aren't exceptions for church mutual aid plans like there are in America and Canada.)
Are all nationwide churches "No social security, no internet?"

J.M.
0 x